Seminar Transcript - Upcoming Products for 2012

Incenjucar

Legend
Unfortunately it will only last until 5E is out. Probably concerned over lost sales if they did a 4E book so close to D&D Next.

Possible. Wisdom isn't their highest ability score. But having truly evergreen setting material would be a good move in the long run. Setting fans will still by supplementary rules material even if only to rant about how 6th edition's statistics for Elminster from the Everlasting FR Tome aren't as accurate as 5E's.

delericho

Legend
That "Ed Greenwood's FR" product looks extremely interesting, even from the point of view of a non-FR fan. It should be interesting to see how the setting evolved, and how he went about building it.

Interesting that they're looking at the possibilities of bringing Dragon and Dungeon back to print.

Jack99

Adventurer
Sigh. Supporting Hooby Stors means no purchase for those of us in Hooby Storeless states (or international possibly).
Well, regarding the international issue, it has never been a problem for my FLGS to order anything from WotC.

Unfortunately it will only last until 5E is out. Probably concerned over lost sales if they did a 4E book so close to D&D Next.

Or you could be positive and instead assume that the guys at WotC have learned a thing or two, and realized they are way better off giving us what we want, instead of giving us what they want us to want.

Neverfate

First Post
So at Gen-Con they said the next campaign would be "something with a twist", If this FR book is that, I have to say I am sorely disappointed. I honestly would want it to be ANYTHING but Forgotten Realms.

Warunsun

First Post
Or you could be positive and instead assume that the guys at WotC have learned a thing or two, and realized they are way better off giving us what we want, instead of giving us what they want us to want.
I am sorry but I am just being realistic. The "guys" at Wizards of the Coast are ever-changing. They haven't learned anything so much as they change at the core who they are and who is in charge about every 3 to 5 years. Some folks have a better plan for Public Relations than others is what it breaks down too. Some of them understand D&D better than others as well. Check out any of the year-end layoff threads here at En World. I think they have one going back for every year until sometime during Third Edition.

For the record I am happy with the return of Monte Cook. I hope he has a long contract because he has been "displaced" from WotC before. With all this nostalgia talk we can't forget that no matter what the fans would like to see: the Business Model of AD&D is not returning. We can only hope that some of the flavor of it does. Important also to remember that the old business model lead to bankruptcy. I guarantee you that D&D Next is being designed with 6th edition in mind. Yes, I am serious. If they are truly trying to create the edition of editions then they could well be looking at an evergreen angle where they just reprint all the core books with new artwork and minor changes every 5 years (as happened once during 2nd Edition. Every player I gamed with bought one of those new black Player's Handbooks even-though they pretty much didn't need too).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I remain disappointed that they keep saying they won't be telling a story, that they want us to do that....that's great for people in the hobby for years, but just awful for growing the hobby. It is also bad for the "shared experience" of D&D. I hope I"m not reading too much into that.

That said, I get to spend a lot less money on D&D this year than most...so my budget will be happy.

Darth Palpy

Explorer
The Menzoberranzan book seems interesting enough, more so if it's system neutral...

Alas, I'm also disgusted to see that another year passes and there isn't even one Eberron book to be released (Would have gladly seen a book like the Neverwinter Campaign setting for this much beloved universe).
I understand well that FR is primary in their considerations, but now, I see their editorial politic regarding Eberron to be somewhat downright reluctant. I mean, DDI once (exceptionaly twice) a month doesn't account for the s....load of articles and supplements there is for FR.

Same for Dark Sun, too.

Seems it's another year WOTC won't have my money.

drothgery

First Post
Is WotC really referring to 5e as "iteration" and "D&D Next" or am I misinterpreting something?
Sort of. They're using terms like that in talking about the game, but that's mostly because they either haven't decided what to officially call it or don't want to tell us yet, and apparently don't want to just call it 5e for some reason.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases