Seminar Transcript - Reimagining Skills and Ability Scores

I don't see any degrading. Just re-classifying. There have been many comments on race/class bloat in 4e. A bit of rationalising would be welcomed.

Well, in all fairness all editions from 2e onward (and even 1e to some extent depending on how much Dragon stuff or whatever you were willing to use) has had loads of races and potentially a lot of classes. I don't think we need a lot of really weird stuff in any core material. OTOH certain 4e races were fairly well-liked, including deva, dragonborn, goliath, and shifter IME. I'd be happy to see those 4 well supported in 5e. Tiefling probably counts too for some people, though I haven't seen much interest in it personally. Minotaurs seem to have been popular with some people as well, but I think 'monstrous' type races can certainly wait for some 3PP or later supplementary stuff.

Clearly no one race list is going to satisfy everyone. Classes likewise. I could see a number of those being themes or some sort of subclass or whatever. I think races don't work too well as themes though, it seems pretty limiting and just oddly asymmetrical and likely to lead to more complications to do the same thing more than one way. There are 'race-like' options, Vampire, Werewolf, or Revenant from 4e (I guess the Kalashtar and Shade too for that matter) that could be theme-like.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
(I guess the Kalashtar and Shade too for that matter) that could be theme-like.
Kalashtar can only be "theme-like" for humans assuming themes are applied that way. (Why not shifters theme on humans too if going that way?) Me, I think shifers/kalashtar are fine as full races. Core? Likely not (kalashtar are very setting tied, shifters not so much).

Kalashtar can only be "theme-like" for humans assuming themes are applied that way. (Why not shifters theme on humans too if going that way?) Me, I think shifers/kalashtar are fine as full races. Core? Likely not (kalashtar are very setting tied, shifters not so much).

Eh, I could see shifter as a theme, maybe you can get 'minor themes' or something with a different name. Make them all 'overlays'. A theme is one type, but the game is open to other types and you can have multiples of some types, or at least one of each of several types if the narrative tells you the character might fit that overlay. Then you can be a human shifter pirate devotee of Bast. Yeah. Kalashtar really is pretty much the same sort of thing. It would let you layer on any type of undeath etc. The DM is ultimately responsible for how things work. Heck, advanced rules can be overlays too. Want to use 4e fighter? Yeah, you can add that layer to your character.

We obviously know though that some stuff has to remain 'the same' in some sense. If you meet 4 orcs in 4e mode and 4 orcs in 1e mode the likely outcomes should be pretty similar. Otherwise you're stuck with games that don't really share compatibility. You can make an adventure but it will not work the same in a general sense of the flow of things with different modules.

Ability scores are pretty obvious, 18 always means you're darn strong, maybe at the limit for humans. Skills, well, it seems like you DO want to start out with a short list of defined names of skills in core. Make it 20 and then each PC can get 4 and that's pretty much all you need for '4e or 3e' modes except actual rules for each skill and rules for how you get them.

This will be really hard to get right though. If you CAN get it right and make everyone happy. Large if.

Kalontas

First Post
I don't see any degrading. Just re-classifying. There have been many comments on race/class bloat in 4e. A bit of rationalising would be welcomed.

As far as we know so far, themes have much less impact on the overall gameplay and are far less important overall for the character. Nobody presents his character as "level 10 human noble fighter". Everybody will just go "level 10 human fighter".

Also on a conceptual level, making deva a theme strips good part of its fluff - their unique appearance and certain racial features that just won't work in a theme.

avin

First Post
Also on a conceptual level, making deva a theme strips good part of its fluff - their unique appearance and certain racial features that just won't work in a theme.

Why? I want a working Deva (just renamed) in 5E but appearance it's not a problem theme or race. Racial features? Immortal Origin, Memories of a Thousand Times... why can't this mechanics work?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Kalontas said:
As far as we know so far, themes have much less impact on the overall gameplay and are far less important overall for the character. Nobody presents his character as "level 10 human noble fighter". Everybody will just go "level 10 human fighter".
We really have no idea how important the themes are. However, IMHO this is something we should voice strongly. Themes SHOULD be almost as important as Race and Class. If I take a "Noble" Fighter, I want them to be Noticeably different from say someone who takes something like a "Bodyguard*" Fighter. I don't want the distinction to be simply a little paragraph long Fluff blurb. I want the Theme to actually work as a template to change my Fighter mechanics to reflect the difference between a Noble and Bodyguard. I WANT people to say "I am a Human Noble Fighter" or "I am a Human Bodyguard Fighter". I DON'T want themes to be so insignificant that they don't even get mentioned when describing the PC.

*: Disclaimer. This is a made up example. There has been no such theme mentioned, it is simply a term used for this example.

TrickyUK

Explorer
The talk of themes for 5e and how they interact with race/class makes me think that 5e core will be similar to original 1e.

Core Races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-elf, Halfling, Gnome (can't remember exactly what races were in 1e, but you'll have the usual suspects).
Core Classes: Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue (these sound like the class groups from 2e (Warrior, Rogue, Wizard and Priest).

There perhaps should be some distinction between themes (for class) and templates (for race, but may be confused with monster templates). But in sticking with the modular design, I feel that the core will be a fairly tight baseline. And IMO the modules will not expand the core (new races/classes) just deepen it (themes).

OTH, you may end up with Core elements and expanded elements (but I hope not both with some additional elements using themes and some being optional races/classes), we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

We really have no idea how important the themes are. However, IMHO this is something we should voice strongly. Themes SHOULD be almost as important as Race and Class. If I take a "Noble" Fighter, I want them to be Noticeably different from say someone who takes something like a "Bodyguard*" Fighter. I don't want the distinction to be simply a little paragraph long Fluff blurb. I want the Theme to actually work as a template to change my Fighter mechanics to reflect the difference between a Noble and Bodyguard. I WANT people to say "I am a Human Noble Fighter" or "I am a Human Bodyguard Fighter". I DON'T want themes to be so insignificant that they don't even get mentioned when describing the PC.

*: Disclaimer. This is a made up example. There has been no such theme mentioned, it is simply a term used for this example.

This can get tricky though. Noble being a theme is unlikely to be limited to fighters. Thus the features it presents are going to be mechanically neutral WRT to role and need to be suitable for any class (IE not elaborations on the mechanics or features of any specific class).

I'd think there could be room for a second category of 'extension', something like 'mastery' or something that would be a bit narrower, so a 'sword master' would be a suitable add-on for weapon using classes, and might even be useful to a few others (swordmage or cleric perhaps) that use weapons in a secondary way.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

I think I understand your point, but for me I want something a little less than that.

Mechanically, the noble and the bodyguard should be almost the same, they could fight side by side and comment on each others skills.

Differentiating them by theme mechanically "could" get carried away....noble, bodyguard, gladiator, pirate, swashbuckler, barroom, peasant, street....etc etc. Too much work.

I think there should be an emphasis on theme as background, and IMHO, fluff.

I am not against very minor differences, but at their core...they fight. The rest is just style*.

Too many mechanics for all the varied themes there could be would be brain overload for me, and I don't see the need in the first place.

*the way I see it.

catsclaw227

First Post
And degrading such an option to a theme is (to me personally, as a 4E fan) a spit in the face or (to the industry) a sign of hypocrisy: they unite every edition supposedly, but "oh, without that corker of 4E, hehe, nobody played that, right?"

Seriously? No one is spitting in your face. This is the kind of hyperbole that ignites edition wars, and this is something that I hope EVERYONE wants to avoid with this new edition. At least WoTC appears to be trying to avoid it.

Not only that but the whole 4e deva is nothing like a theme. Devas don't have any overlap with other races. They are a 'race' of beings (admittedly not a culture and not a biological race exactly) that stands alone. It would make ZERO sense to talk about a 'human deva' or an 'elf deva'. What if I wanted to be a deva pirate or a deva knight too? It simply doesn't make sense except as a race.

I could see Revenant as something besides a race, some sort of 'template' or something, but it actually made sense mechanically in 4e as a race that was an overlay on another race. You could be a human revenant, but you weren't exactly a human, yet you still had all the other customization choices that any character has (again, as a theme revenant makes less sense, why can't I be a revenant pirate). Honestly I wouldn't expect anything as fringe as a revenant to be in the core books (it is not in any 4e book until HoS, before that it was a DDI race for a long time).

I like 4e Devas, 4e Dragonborn, 4e Tieflings. Not as enthusiastic about Shardminds or that Treemen race or even Vampires (as a race) or Revenants (as a race).

But it's possible we're making too many assumptions about what being a "theme" entails. Maybe they are deeper than 4e themes with more uniqueness and customization. Maybe there are options in each theme you choose between, so you can be a human deva pirate, or an elf deva knight, and as races they might be wildly different or even very similar.

I agree with you, but I still don't want them in the first players handbook.

I think that's what people are forgetting here. You can't fit everything in the first book. Unless you make it like say, The Encyclopaedia Britannica 'book'.
I love devas and dragonborn, even if they did take a while to grow on me. But I don't want them right at the start. They always felt like really rare races to me. Common races need to be available first. The same applies to tieflings.

We all have to bear in mind that somethings will not be available at the start - It just can't be done. SOMETHING has to be left out. It is logical therefore to leave out the things which appear in the fewest editions. Devas and Avengers only appeared in 4E, and even there they weren't in the first PH.

This is a reasonable post... We're not going to get everything in the first book and with this in mind, people shouldn't start screaming that WoTC or "Hasborg" has stolen their dog and kicked their cat. With the release of 4e, people went all gnome crazy because they had to wait a few months for the race to be released in a book and the vitriol that was being spewed was utterly classless.

Let's hope that people can be patient, or maybe WoTC can release a "back-of-the-napkin" release schedule for races and classes so people can get an idea for when their favorite bits will be released - noting the fact that the release schedule is not set in stone.

Or better yet, in our digital age, maybe some get released online first (for playtesting) and then added to a print book later.

To me personally, having a deva soul in a reincarnated body as a theme make perfect sense. That doesn't mean this is the option they will go with though.

As for Avengers, I always saw them as an alternative to paladins. Turning them into a kit or prestige class or some other variant form of paladin makes perfect sense to me. If that's called a 'theme' now, then so be it.

Every edition of DND takes common English words and twists them a bit. In this instance it looks like theme is going to be one of those words. From what we've heard thus far (which is very little!) 5E theme is very different from 4E theme.

Yea, my point above is that we really don't know what qualifies as a theme yet.

BTW -- even though I liked the 4e deva, I think it can work just fine as a theme. Maybe even subclasses all become themes.

Imagine the race "elf" and then there are themes for "drow", "eladrin", "wood", etc... You can do "human" and have themes for "northman", "easterner", "desertfolk".

Or even more radical, you can have a race called "beast" and have "hobgoblin", "bugbear", "goblin", "orc" be themes. And a race called "reptilian" and theme it up with "kobold", "dragonborn", "lizardman". (Though, I dunno about whether these can work, or if it would really tick people off...)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases