Seminar Transcript - Reimagining Skills and Ability Scores

Sammael

Adventurer
Ladies and Gentlemen, the future of D&D is... Castles & Crusades

6 saves?
No skills?

Somewhere, [MENTION=10177]Treebore[/MENTION] is laughing maniacally...
Dang it, I still can't give you more XP, and I've been spreading them around like crazy. Can somebody cover me?

4d6 drop the lowest is my preferred method of generation, so I'm glad that's still around.

I prefer "3d6, optionally reroll the lowest die (or dice if there's a tie)".

The distribution curve is pretty similar to "4d6 drop lowest", but it's a bit better at avoiding overly low scores while simultaneously giving out fewer overly high scores (but still more than straight 3d6 rolls do).

Sammael

Adventurer
"Design"? "Lazy"?

I asked my DM if I could refer to my Xbow as a magical zap for flavour purposes. This is "lazy design" on my part, and "positively hated" by you?

I'm glad we don't game together! I'd hate my flavour choices to arouse such a strong emotion as hatred in those near me!
It's not a problem with you, it's a problem with your DM. You are perfectly entitled to ask for stuff like that.

If a player asked me a similar question, I'd likely say "So, you'd like to have an at-will attack that dealt magical damage equal to crossbow damage; we need to consider the implications of that - ignoring DR, interactions with spell resistance, no need for ammunition, no need to worry about warp wood, fire-based magic, and so on. I'm not opposed, but you'll have to make a tradeoff of some sort. Either that, or just invent an illusion cantrip that turns your crossbow bolt into a 'magical zap' for the purpose of appearances."

BTW, you make it sound like it's only a flavor choice. Now, I don't play in 4E, so I'm not sure if it'd be only a flavor choice there, but in 3.x it's a WHOLE LOT MORE than just a flavor choice.

quindia

First Post
I have really liked what has been revealed so far. I like that rolling for stats is slated for core - it indicates that stats might be slightly less important (and not every character has an 18 or 20 in his primary stat). It only requires a sidebar to add point buy or array as an option - the reverse would not be as easy to implement if the assumption was a maxed out primary stat.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
The silver standard FTW! Although, given how they keep saying that they want this to 'feel' like D&D I doubt that it'll stick. But I hope that it does, as D&D economy just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not a problem with you, it's a problem with your DM. You are perfectly entitled to ask for stuff like that.

If a player asked me a similar question, I'd likely say "So, you'd like to have an at-will attack that dealt magical damage equal to crossbow damage; we need to consider the implications of that - ignoring DR, interactions with spell resistance, no need for ammunition, no need to worry about warp wood, fire-based magic, and so on. I'm not opposed, but you'll have to make a tradeoff of some sort. Either that, or just invent an illusion cantrip that turns your crossbow bolt into a 'magical zap' for the purpose of appearances."

BTW, you make it sound like it's only a flavor choice. Now, I don't play in 4E, so I'm not sure if it'd be only a flavor choice there, but in 3.x it's a WHOLE LOT MORE than just a flavor choice.

Of course it's just a flavour choice. Same mechanics. Different flavour. I don't know how to be clearer than that. Same mechanics.

Where you added in the extra superpowers, I don't know. It's using a crossbow, but calling it a zap. It's nothing more than a choice of verbiage. It's "I'd like to have a crossbow, I just wanna say 'zap' when I use it".

And this is in Pathfunder, not 4E.

avin

First Post
1. Using ability scores for everything instead of skills (this is COMPLETELY the opposite of what I want in ANY role-playing game)

What about 2E AD&D? :p

Joke aside, while I'm a heavy defender of skill-based systems, I can live without 3.5 skills, let's see how it unfolds.

2. NPCs don't follow the same rules as PCs.

That's the best part for me. As long they look "similar" at the end (I don't want a lv 1 PC Bard with 6 HP and the NPC version with 20) it's welcome at my table.

Maybe 4E Monster Builder spoiled me, but I started a Pathfinder game a few months ago and one thing kinda turned me down, the time I waste when I need to upgrade or downgrade antagonists... heck, even on GURPS I can do it faster.

I just don't have that time in my hands to create ellaborate monsters anymore... but it's just me.

And for those who like creating NPCs as PCs I don't think 5E won't miss opportunity to do that.

Even on 4E was possible, while not recommended, so it would surprise me if a so called modular game doesn't have this option.

Hear me Mike and Monte?

Sammael

Adventurer
Of course it's just a flavour choice. Same mechanics. Different flavour. I don't know how to be clearer than that. Same mechanics.

Where you added in the extra superpowers, I don't know. It's using a crossbow, but calling it a zap. It's nothing more than a choice of verbiage. It's "I'd like to have a crossbow, I just wanna say 'zap' when I use it".

And this is in Pathfunder, not 4E.
So, it's a crossbow. That works exactly like a crossbow. But makes a 'zap' noise? I guess that's fine but it's not at all what I got from your initial statement - I understood that you wanted to have a "magic zap" instead of using a crossbow.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Seems like we are regressing. These are largely pre-4E modes.

If ability scores are going to be über alles, then magic items that boost them are going to be the main ones in demand. I remember it getting so bad in 3E that they had to introduce the multi-functions items so you could have both your needed booster and something interesting. It's just going be to an magic item tax. (Mortal limits just make the demand even moreso)

Of course, we haven't seen the math yet, but even a +1 bonus to a stat is likely going to affect attack, defense, and skills.

Concerned. Not turned away, but concerned.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases