Seminar Transcript - Reimagining Skills and Ability Scores

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As a fellow reflavourist (what?) you got me curious, how do you handle bolt charges? Is it for free or the "bolts" you buy are some magical component?

It's a crossbow. I just say zap when I use it. I don't handle anything. It uses the crossbow rules exactly.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I love the idea of not having a skill list at all. It's simply the ability scores, with bonuses to certain actions, and those actions are open-ended and infinite in possibility.

STR 15 (+2 when climbing, +3 when opening jars)
DEX 12 (+2 when doing backflips)
CON 10 (+4 against poison)
INT 14 (+2 when researching, +2 when dealing with the history of Abba)
WIS 9 (+4 when resisting compulsion due to stubbornness)
CHA 10 (+2 initial impression due to good looks, +2 when dancing)

SO... are these your personal D&D stats, Morrus?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, it's a crossbow. That works exactly like a crossbow. But makes a 'zap' noise? I guess that's fine but it's not at all what I got from your initial statement - I understood that you wanted to have a "magic zap" instead of using a crossbow.

That's what reskinning means. It's still a crossbow. There's just a flavour change. Fluff, nothing more. Astonishingly trivial, yet it affects my immersion in a positive way.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Of course it's just a flavour choice. Same mechanics. Different flavour. I don't know how to be clearer than that. Same mechanics.

Where you added in the extra superpowers, I don't know. It's using a crossbow, but calling it a zap. It's nothing more than a choice of verbiage. It's "I'd like to have a crossbow, I just wanna say 'zap' when I use it".

And this is in Pathfunder, not 4E.

It sounds as if the a question that he's got in mind includes mundane things such as ammo - if you've got a crossbow and 20 quarrels, you can't carry on shooting once you've used them all up. What happens with a zap?

(clearly for games that don't track ammo it isn't an issue, equally for games that do track ammo it could be)

Cheers

Sammael

Adventurer
What about 2E AD&D? :p
It sucked? I mean, there were the optional professions and NWPs, but they used the eldritch "roll under" mechanic and you got so few NWP points that NWPs were rarely useful.

But even those ultra-lame NWPs were better than what Monte & Co are proposing here.

Joke aside, while I'm a heavy defender of skill-based systems, I can live without 3.5 skills, let's see how it unfolds.
I can live without the bajillion 3.5 skills (I use a reduced set of only 28 in my system, and that includes the combat skills, spellcasting skills, and skills that replace saves), but no skills at all = complete and utter dealbreaker for me.

Siberys

Adventurer
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] - My problem, with that example at least, is the rules assumptions about that. I may not build a dextrous mage, but if I want to be good at "casting" a "basic spell", I have to be dextrous if I'm using the crossbow rules and want to be at all effective with them, even if flavor-wise it doesn't matter.

If attacks, damage, &c are decoupled from ability scores, reflavor away! It's just I'm afraid those little mechanical barriers I liked to see removed with the advent of at-wills in 4e will make a return. :|

Otherwise, I totally agree with you about reflavoring.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
SO... are these your personal D&D stats, Morrus?

I used to be able to do backflips, but no more. I do have a good alcohol tolerance, though. I know little about Abba - or any music, really - but you can sub in Doctor Who there. Average on jars, but a bonus when shouting at people who commit social transgressions. I get the stubbornness and good looks, but a penalty on the dancing!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It sounds as if the a question that he's got in mind includes mundane things such as ammo - if you've got a crossbow and 20 quarrels, you can't carry on shooting once you've used them all up. What happens with a zap?

I still have a crossbow with 20 ammo. It's gone when it's used. As I said, it's a fluff change, not a mechanics change. Mechanics remain identical. I just say "zap" instead of "thwang".

JeffB

Legend
"Design"? "Lazy"?

I asked my DM if I could refer to my Xbow as a magical zap for flavour purposes. This is "lazy design" on my part, and "positively hated" by you?

I'm glad we don't game together! I'd hate my flavour choices to arouse such a strong emotion as hatred in those near me!

:) I came to the conclusion years ago that I wouldnt want to game with 99% of gamers based on their messageboard posts at least. Peeps get way too wound up about their make believe elves and fairy princesses

Ainamacar

Adventurer
I'm liking the basic idea of the skill system (sympathies for those that don't), but I think we're still lacking some key information.

Bonuses to skills aren't necessarily numerical bonuses, although they can be. If I've read the transcript correctly, for example, double-training Stealth let a character move their full speed while hiding. In fact, non-numerical bonuses are better than numerical ones when they permit you to do things without a roll that others would need a roll to do or couldn't attempt in the first place. This makes sense with the emphasis on whether one should even require a roll in the first place. That could be decided by the raw ability score, but it can also be decided by training. Rather like a more flexible version of skill tricks from 3.5's Complete Scoundrel. Those sorts of value-added options could also keep the disparity in skill check bonuses between characters within a reasonable range. I'll be interested to see how high bonuses are allowed to go. The variance of the d20 is quite large, so trusting a bonus to reliably show competence vs. another character usually requires a fairly large bonus, and with it all heaps of trouble. That's a good reason to take skill training in a less numerically oriented direction.

In my homebrew game we name our own skills, each of which contains 3 basic proficiencies. (For example, my character has the "Rough History" skill which for him encompasses Begging, Urban Survival, and Weaponry plus anything else that makes sense with the backstory. He also has "Cleric of Bahamut", which covers First Aid, Leadership, and Theology and anything else relevant to that part of the character. It also means his knowledge of theology, for example, is limited to what a cleric of Bahamut would have reason to know). However, the main effect of training these skills is to allow for more reliable (if limited) success without greatly increasing one's maximum potential, while the main affect of larger ability scores is the opposite. (This is success-based dice pool system, so it comes directly from the math.) These skills apply to any check using any ability score that can be justified. When the connection is tenuous, the DM can choose to grant half the bonus. In our homebrew a creature of average human dexterity with 2 ranks of training is basically on par with someone with superhuman natural ability (ability scores 10 and 20 in D&D terms), but the trained character achieves the average result much more reliably. I think similar characteristics could be achieved in D&D Next by making skill training less about a +n bonus, and more about what training lets a person achieve apart from or in addition to a check.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases