3.5 SRD Monster Stock Art - A Great KickStarter Project That Needs Your Help

DMBrendon

First Post
There are some guys trying to create a library of art for all the creatures in the 3.5 SRD. This will be a great boon for all the indie game and adventure writers.

Let's get a win for the little guys,
DMBrendon

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
Thanks for the mention Brendon & Mark! Indeed they are related and if one is successful I can improve the other & vice versa. I'll have a couple more new samples to post as a project update tonight.

I did an interview about the projects (not yet posted) but here's a bit about how they relate:
The Kickstarter project I have that is finishing up soon is called "Monster Stand-Ins." It is a set of cardboard miniatures, but on plastic. Most RPG players know of cardboard miniatures, so that's the best way to introduce it. The credit-card-like plastic makes them more durable and one can use a wet-erase marker to note the creature's condition.

But that project was mostly an excuse for me to collect a bunch of monster art. And when some outside factors affected that project, I decided it was best to start another one that is focused on stock art. I figured if my company and I needed a slew of stock art, many other small publishers (print or pdf, games or fantasy lovers) and electronic game (web/android/ipad/etc) publishers and even bloggers or website owners who have fantasy sites would need the art as well.

On the stock art collection specifically:

I could see [the art] being used for many different projects. I first envisioned it for the guys doing their own Fantasy RPG book or a retro-clone. If any of them pick up this stock art collection, hopefully much of their monsters chapter could be illustrated. And some more art from the collection including some of the interesting backgrounds I'm planning might help pace other parts of the book. Further, anyone doing any other new RPG game system or even just an accessory or adventure module which features monsters could certainly use it. Getting this collection at what I hope is a very economical price means more and/or better overall art for the project.

But I can also see it used for fantasy websites. Say you're running an in-depth analysis of the Griffon. Well, if you bought the collection for a one time cost, you've got a very high-quality griffon. Or if the blog post mentions 3-4 creatures, chances are this collection with have at least two of them. One can also pledge at lower levels if you just want a couple of pieces.

DMBrendon

First Post
Hi Joe,

You might want to try the guys at the Save or Die Podcast for an interview too, they've had supplement writers on before, and your art would apply to them too.

Remove ads