Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
I ask because if you look on P 86 of the DMG training costs can be truly astounding.

For example, lets say Cam hits level 2 and he has had 'superior' performance within his class. This means he needs to spend two weeks training. The cost for this is Levelx1500xnumber of weeks. This means he needs to spend 3000 GP in training costs which outstrips the amount of experience he has.

Things get really wonky when you figure that PC's earn 1 XP per GP worth of treasure. This means that to hit level 2 Cam (and any other class for that matter) will have had to have earned enough gold to be well above his XP requirements for the level. It's even uglier jumping from level 2 to 3. Level 3 requires 2250 XP above level 1 but needs an additional 6000 GP. The system starts to work itself out at around level 5 or so but prior to that the PC's must save every single bent copper piece they come across just to get their training costs covered.

These are real, valid concerns. They will NOT be an issue in this game at all. I always thought that 'rating' a pc's performance to determine how long he had to train to advance a level was a totally ludicrous exercise, and just plain mean, too. One week is going to be the rule of thumb for level-up training. If it takes longer than that, then you have really p*ssed me off! And that one week standard is the same no matter what level you are. Of course, the cost per week will go up some, but it will never be burdensome. Unless you just have a boatload of cash and I need an excuse to send you on a "safari" to "deepest Africa," or something.

Imperialus

Explorer
[MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] I just noticed that it didn't post for some reason, but the reason Cam's speech was so lousy is I rolled a 19 on his charisma check. I was hoping to gather any intel on what the other villagers might know about the ogres, and maybe get them whipped up a bit but after that roll I figured Cam would probably come across as an awkward stammering teenager.

Leif

Adventurer
Leif, I just noticed that it didn't post for some reason, but the reason Cam's speech was so lousy is I rolled a 19 on his charisma check. I was hoping to gather any intel on what the other villagers might know about the ogres, and maybe get them whipped up a bit but after that roll I figured Cam would probably come across as an awkward stammering teenager.
;) Ok, good job! But, FYI, you don't have to roll an ability check foreverything. The characters are supposed to be heroes, after all, so I have no problem with you acting like heroes. However, that being said, this is an outstanding example of high-quality roleplay!

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
@Leif , @Imperialus , @steeldragons , @Rhun -

After some consideration I have decided that I can no longer devote time to continue playing this campaign. I don't want to hold you guys up, waiting for me to post something from Odo. Please feel free to continue Odo as a hireling if you so choose.

Thanks for the fun times!

JM

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic

After some consideration I have decided that I can no longer devote time to continue playing this campaign. I don't want to hold you guys up, waiting for me to post something from Odo. Please feel free to continue Odo as a hireling if you so choose.

JM

Very sorry to hear this, JM. But hope all is well.

Perhaps our e-character sheets shall cross again someday.
--SD

Leif

Adventurer

JM
Glad you were with us for awhile! You're welcome back anytime!

But, in the meantime, what does everyone else wish? Recruit another player or npc Odo?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Glad you were with us for awhile! You're welcome back anytime!

But, in the meantime, what does everyone else wish? Recruit another player or npc Odo?

I'm happy to take on running Odo (if that's ok Jacob Marley)...unless you would prefer to NPC him.

Either way, I am not averse to bringing in another player. I prefer larger parties, myself. So 6 or 7 characters is kinda what I'm used to...and I think 1e lends itself to larger parties in general.

But, you're the DM. So, from my PoV, it's really up to you/what you want to deal with.

--SD

Leif

Adventurer
Hmmm, I don't want to give you two characters while everyone else just has one, steeldragons, but I appreciate the offer anyway. Maybe we could have Odo become a 'communal' character that anyone can use? If so, then for things like spells/conbat etc, the first action posted for Odo by anyone will be his action for the round.

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks, Rhun. Anybody have any other thoughts? Ya know, come to think of it, steeldragons does apparently have LOTS of time on his hands, so maybe he would be the best one to take on a second character after all..... :D

Comments, anyone?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases