AD&D 1st Edition Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01] - Page 15




What's on your mind?

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Jacob Marley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    712

    Ignore Jacob Marley
    Apparently I have managed to forget all about this thread. So much OOC talk to get caught up on.
    "Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail." ~ Charles Dickens

 

  • #142
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    Ok, so I haven't read the IC yet. Will the addition of Cam's additional damage save Odo, or is he still down? I've got an idea that you guys will live longer if I hurry and get you up a level and get you more hp. [Yeah, I know, I know, I've just been having flashes of freakin' brilliance like that all day!]

    IC FIXED!
    Last edited by Leif; Tuesday, 10th April, 2012 at 12:49 AM.

  • #143
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    steeldragons

    Shiyana/steeldragons, I apologize for missing your natural 20. Yeah, I think that should do something special. Maybe maximum damage, maybe roll [regular dice+adds] twice, maybe max regular damage [dice+adds] plus standard rolled damage [dice+adds]. And I'm open to othjer ideas as well. Anyhone have a suggestion for how to do it?

    Looking over the options that I listed, it would seem that Max [dice+adds] plus standard rolled damage [dice+adds] would be the best way to do it. Any other ideas?

    Also, ALL -- XP has been updated for the combat with the ogres.
    Last edited by Leif; Tuesday, 10th April, 2012 at 07:25 AM.

  • #144
    Steeliest of the dragons
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

    steeldragons's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andorra
    Posts
    3,663
    Blog Entries
    29
    OSRGoodman GamesOSRICEN PublishingGygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore steeldragons
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Shiyana/steeldragons, I apologize for missing your natural 20. Yeah, I think that should do something special. Maybe maximum damage, maybe roll [regular dice+adds] twice, maybe max regular damage [dice+adds] plus standard rolled damage [dice+adds]. And I'm open to othjer ideas as well. Anyhone have a suggestion for how to do it?

    Looking over the options that I listed, it would seem that Max [dice+adds] plus standard rolled damage [dice+adds] would be the best way to do it. Any other ideas?

    Also, ALL -- XP has been updated for the combat with the ogres.
    No worries. The way you describe works for me.
    Steel Dragons' "All Things Orea" Blog right here on EN world!
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/blog.ph...1-steeldragons
    Steel Dragons' "All Things Orea" Blog right here on EN world!

  • #145
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Imperialus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,265

    Ignore Imperialus
    My communities:

    quick question regarding the treasure. Are we going to have to pay for training? If so, then in my experience we're going to need to horde every copper piece we come across. If we're not paying to train then Cam doesn't really need the money all that much. Rangers aren't big on stronghold construction.
    Originally Posted by diaglo
    Olgar Shiverstone or other new edition DM: so i've gotta wrap up the campaign..
    diaglo: we could play OD&D(1974) the only true game. All the other editions are..
    other gamer: i could run a campaign set in space with ninja pirates.
    other gamers: done. when do we start.
    diaglo:

  • #146
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    Level-Up Training

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialus View Post
    quick question regarding the treasure. Are we going to have to pay for training? If so, then in my experience we're going to need to horde every copper piece we come across. If we're not paying to train then Cam doesn't really need the money all that much. Rangers aren't big on stronghold construction.
    I like the idea of training between levels, but I think the cost should vary with how much money the characters have, and might be paid with service(s) rather than money. I don't like the idea of interrupting an adventure for training, but think that some benefits could be given immediately with the understanding that training would happen at the next opportunity. New magic-user spells, and new levels of cleric spells for that matter, will have to wait until training can be done.

  • #147
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Rhun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    22,804

    Ignore Rhun
    My communities:

    Hording it is!
    - Rhun

    For every one hundred men you send us, Ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine of them are real fighters; We are lucky to have them, they the battle make. Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior. And he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus of Ephesus, 500 BC

  • #148
    Steeliest of the dragons
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

    steeldragons's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andorra
    Posts
    3,663
    Blog Entries
    29
    OSRGoodman GamesOSRICEN PublishingGygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore steeldragons
    My communities:

    Well, I still think, like 50 sp would do this lil' family a world of good.

    But yes, keepin' most all of the treasure is on the agenda, I believe.

    Especially finding out what these two "magic rings" do...and what/where did two ogres get a couple of magic rings...that do...something.
    Steel Dragons' "All Things Orea" Blog right here on EN world!
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/blog.ph...1-steeldragons
    Steel Dragons' "All Things Orea" Blog right here on EN world!

  • #149
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    I don't mean to encourage "hoarding," because you should have things for which to spend your gold. The one thing for which you can pretty much be assured that you won't be spending it is Magic Items. But, then again, that may turn out to be negotiable as well. There is also that rule about 'character upkeep' costing 100 gp per level per month as a rule of thumb. That could be a bit of a drain on funds. If you guys spread your money around and spend liberally, I'll take that into account for sure, and that would really be better done IC than just to have a DM-imposed monthly subtraction. And, like I said, if you're being liberal and generous with your gold and then need to pay for level advancement, your "trainer" is going to have heard of your generosity and will know where your money has gone, in general terms, so he/she will take that into account and won't soak you too much for the training. Like I also said, that could be a rich source for futre quests and adventures, too.

  • #150
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Imperialus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,265

    Ignore Imperialus
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I like the idea of training between levels, but I think the cost should vary with how much money the characters have, and might be paid with service(s) rather than money. I don't like the idea of interrupting an adventure for training, but think that some benefits could be given immediately with the understanding that training would happen at the next opportunity. New magic-user spells, and new levels of cleric spells for that matter, will have to wait until training can be done.
    I ask because if you look on P 86 of the DMG training costs can be truly astounding.

    For example, lets say Cam hits level 2 and he has had 'superior' performance within his class. This means he needs to spend two weeks training. The cost for this is Levelx1500xnumber of weeks. This means he needs to spend 3000 GP in training costs which outstrips the amount of experience he has.

    Things get really wonky when you figure that PC's earn 1 XP per GP worth of treasure. This means that to hit level 2 Cam (and any other class for that matter) will have had to have earned enough gold to be well above his XP requirements for the level. It's even uglier jumping from level 2 to 3. Level 3 requires 2250 XP above level 1 but needs an additional 6000 GP. The system starts to work itself out at around level 5 or so but prior to that the PC's must save every single bent copper piece they come across just to get their training costs covered.
    Originally Posted by diaglo
    Olgar Shiverstone or other new edition DM: so i've gotta wrap up the campaign..
    diaglo: we could play OD&D(1974) the only true game. All the other editions are..
    other gamer: i could run a campaign set in space with ninja pirates.
    other gamers: done. when do we start.
    diaglo:

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Leif's "Pomarj" Greyhawk Beta Game [AD&D 1E] [Rogues' Gallery]
      By Leif in forum Character Builds & Optimization
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: Sunday, 2nd June, 2013, 10:34 PM
    2. Replies: 84
      Last Post: Friday, 10th May, 2013, 10:00 AM
    3. Replies: 663
      Last Post: Wednesday, 24th April, 2013, 12:45 AM
    4. Leif's "County of Urnst" Greyhawk Gamma Game [AD&D 1E] [ RG]
      By Leif in forum Character Builds & Optimization
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: Sunday, 14th April, 2013, 04:14 PM
    5. Replies: 10
      Last Post: Sunday, 5th August, 2012, 04:15 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •