Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, so I haven't read the IC yet. Will the addition of Cam's additional damage save Odo, or is he still down? I've got an idea that you guys will live longer if I hurry and get you up a level and get you more hp. [Yeah, I know, I know, I've just been having flashes of freakin' brilliance like that all day!]

IC FIXED!

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
steeldragons

Shiyana/steeldragons, I apologize for missing your natural 20. Yeah, I think that should do something special. Maybe maximum damage, maybe roll [regular dice+adds] twice, maybe max regular damage [dice+adds] plus standard rolled damage [dice+adds]. And I'm open to othjer ideas as well. Anyhone have a suggestion for how to do it?

Looking over the options that I listed, it would seem that Max [dice+adds] plus standard rolled damage [dice+adds] would be the best way to do it. Any other ideas?

Also, ALL -- XP has been updated for the combat with the ogres.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Shiyana/steeldragons, I apologize for missing your natural 20. Yeah, I think that should do something special. Maybe maximum damage, maybe roll [regular dice+adds] twice, maybe max regular damage [dice+adds] plus standard rolled damage [dice+adds]. And I'm open to othjer ideas as well. Anyhone have a suggestion for how to do it?

Looking over the options that I listed, it would seem that Max [dice+adds] plus standard rolled damage [dice+adds] would be the best way to do it. Any other ideas?

Also, ALL -- XP has been updated for the combat with the ogres.

No worries. The way you describe works for me.

Imperialus

Explorer
quick question regarding the treasure. Are we going to have to pay for training? If so, then in my experience we're going to need to horde every copper piece we come across. If we're not paying to train then Cam doesn't really need the money all that much. Rangers aren't big on stronghold construction.

Leif

Adventurer
Level-Up Training

quick question regarding the treasure. Are we going to have to pay for training? If so, then in my experience we're going to need to horde every copper piece we come across. If we're not paying to train then Cam doesn't really need the money all that much. Rangers aren't big on stronghold construction.
I like the idea of training between levels, but I think the cost should vary with how much money the characters have, and might be paid with service(s) rather than money. I don't like the idea of interrupting an adventure for training, but think that some benefits could be given immediately with the understanding that training would happen at the next opportunity. New magic-user spells, and new levels of cleric spells for that matter, will have to wait until training can be done.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Well, I still think, like 50 sp would do this lil' family a world of good.

But yes, keepin' most all of the treasure is on the agenda, I believe.

Especially finding out what these two "magic rings" do...and what/where did two ogres get a couple of magic rings...that do...something.

Leif

Adventurer
I don't mean to encourage "hoarding," because you should have things for which to spend your gold. The one thing for which you can pretty much be assured that you won't be spending it is Magic Items. But, then again, that may turn out to be negotiable as well. There is also that rule about 'character upkeep' costing 100 gp per level per month as a rule of thumb. That could be a bit of a drain on funds. If you guys spread your money around and spend liberally, I'll take that into account for sure, and that would really be better done IC than just to have a DM-imposed monthly subtraction. And, like I said, if you're being liberal and generous with your gold and then need to pay for level advancement, your "trainer" is going to have heard of your generosity and will know where your money has gone, in general terms, so he/she will take that into account and won't soak you too much for the training. Like I also said, that could be a rich source for futre quests and adventures, too.

Imperialus

Explorer
I like the idea of training between levels, but I think the cost should vary with how much money the characters have, and might be paid with service(s) rather than money. I don't like the idea of interrupting an adventure for training, but think that some benefits could be given immediately with the understanding that training would happen at the next opportunity. New magic-user spells, and new levels of cleric spells for that matter, will have to wait until training can be done.

I ask because if you look on P 86 of the DMG training costs can be truly astounding.

For example, lets say Cam hits level 2 and he has had 'superior' performance within his class. This means he needs to spend two weeks training. The cost for this is Levelx1500xnumber of weeks. This means he needs to spend 3000 GP in training costs which outstrips the amount of experience he has.

Things get really wonky when you figure that PC's earn 1 XP per GP worth of treasure. This means that to hit level 2 Cam (and any other class for that matter) will have had to have earned enough gold to be well above his XP requirements for the level. It's even uglier jumping from level 2 to 3. Level 3 requires 2250 XP above level 1 but needs an additional 6000 GP. The system starts to work itself out at around level 5 or so but prior to that the PC's must save every single bent copper piece they come across just to get their training costs covered.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases