AD&D 1st Edition Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01] - Page 16

What's on your mind?

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

Ignore Leif
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialus View Post
    I ask because if you look on P 86 of the DMG training costs can be truly astounding.

For example, lets say Cam hits level 2 and he has had 'superior' performance within his class. This means he needs to spend two weeks training. The cost for this is Levelx1500xnumber of weeks. This means he needs to spend 3000 GP in training costs which outstrips the amount of experience he has.

Things get really wonky when you figure that PC's earn 1 XP per GP worth of treasure. This means that to hit level 2 Cam (and any other class for that matter) will have had to have earned enough gold to be well above his XP requirements for the level. It's even uglier jumping from level 2 to 3. Level 3 requires 2250 XP above level 1 but needs an additional 6000 GP. The system starts to work itself out at around level 5 or so but prior to that the PC's must save every single bent copper piece they come across just to get their training costs covered.
    These are real, valid concerns. They will NOT be an issue in this game at all. I always thought that 'rating' a pc's performance to determine how long he had to train to advance a level was a totally ludicrous exercise, and just plain mean, too. One week is going to be the rule of thumb for level-up training. If it takes longer than that, then you have really p*ssed me off! And that one week standard is the same no matter what level you are. Of course, the cost per week will go up some, but it will never be burdensome. Unless you just have a boatload of cash and I need an excuse to send you on a "safari" to "deepest Africa," or something.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore Imperialus
    My communities:

@Leif I just noticed that it didn't post for some reason, but the reason Cam's speech was so lousy is I rolled a 19 on his charisma check. I was hoping to gather any intel on what the other villagers might know about the ogres, and maybe get them whipped up a bit but after that roll I figured Cam would probably come across as an awkward stammering teenager.
    Originally Posted by diaglo
    Olgar Shiverstone or other new edition DM: so i've gotta wrap up the campaign..
    diaglo: we could play OD&D(1974) the only true game. All the other editions are..
    other gamer: i could run a campaign set in space with ninja pirates.
    other gamers: done. when do we start.
    diaglo:

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore Leif
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialus View Post
    Leif, I just noticed that it didn't post for some reason, but the reason Cam's speech was so lousy is I rolled a 19 on his charisma check. I was hoping to gather any intel on what the other villagers might know about the ogres, and maybe get them whipped up a bit but after that roll I figured Cam would probably come across as an awkward stammering teenager.
    Ok, good job! But, FYI, you don't have to roll an ability check foreverything. The characters are supposed to be heroes, after all, so I have no problem with you acting like heroes. However, that being said, this is an outstanding example of high-quality roleplay!

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Jacob Marley
    @Leif , @Imperialus , @steeldragons , @Rhun -

After some consideration I have decided that I can no longer devote time to continue playing this campaign. I don't want to hold you guys up, waiting for me to post something from Odo. Please feel free to continue Odo as a hireling if you so choose.

Thanks for the fun times!

JM
    "Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail." ~ Charles Dickens

Steeliest of the dragons
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries
    MystaraGoodman GamesNecromancer GamesOSRGoodman GamesOSRICEN PublishingGygax Memorial Fund

Ignore steeldragons
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Marley View Post

After some consideration I have decided that I can no longer devote time to continue playing this campaign. I don't want to hold you guys up, waiting for me to post something from Odo. Please feel free to continue Odo as a hireling if you so choose.

JM
    Very sorry to hear this, JM. But hope all is well.

Perhaps our e-character sheets shall cross again someday.
    --SD
    Steel Dragons' "All Things Orea" Blog right here on EN world!
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/blog.ph...1-steeldragons

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore Leif
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Marley View Post

JM
    Glad you were with us for awhile! You're welcome back anytime!

But, in the meantime, what does everyone else wish? Recruit another player or npc Odo?

Steeliest of the dragons
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries
    MystaraGoodman GamesNecromancer GamesOSRGoodman GamesOSRICEN PublishingGygax Memorial Fund

Ignore steeldragons
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Glad you were with us for awhile! You're welcome back anytime!

But, in the meantime, what does everyone else wish? Recruit another player or npc Odo?
    I'm happy to take on running Odo (if that's ok Jacob Marley)...unless you would prefer to NPC him.

Either way, I am not averse to bringing in another player. I prefer larger parties, myself. So 6 or 7 characters is kinda what I'm used to...and I think 1e lends itself to larger parties in general.

But, you're the DM. So, from my PoV, it's really up to you/what you want to deal with.

--SD
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/blog.ph...1-steeldragons

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore Leif
    My communities:

Hmmm, I don't want to give you two characters while everyone else just has one, steeldragons, but I appreciate the offer anyway. Maybe we could have Odo become a 'communal' character that anyone can use? If so, then for things like spells/conbat etc, the first action posted for Odo by anyone will be his action for the round.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore Rhun
    My communities:

I'm fine with however you want to run it Leif.
    - Rhun

For every one hundred men you send us, Ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine of them are real fighters; We are lucky to have them, they the battle make. Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior. And he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus of Ephesus, 500 BC

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore Leif
    My communities:

Thanks, Rhun. Anybody have any other thoughts? Ya know, come to think of it, steeldragons does apparently have LOTS of time on his hands, so maybe he would be the best one to take on a second character after all.....

Comments, anyone?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast