Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01]

I'm mostly caught up on the IC thread. Sorry for the delay, got sidetracked over the past couple of days (work, etc.). I hope to feel ready enough to post in the next day or so. Until then, Leif, please move Odo around as needed.

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks, Toric, but until you're ready, steeldragons will just continue to take care of Odo.

We look forward to you joining us soon!

Rhun

First Post
I'm mostly caught up on the IC thread. Sorry for the delay, got sidetracked over the past couple of days (work, etc.). I hope to feel ready enough to post in the next day or so. Until then, Leif, please move Odo around as needed.

Looking forward to seeing you in the IC thread, Toric!

Leif

Adventurer
Treasure and Stuff

I've already evenly divided the treasure for XP purposes, but actual division of loot is Player Business. You can do that any time you're ready to do so, as long as you're out of the dungeon. I've pretty much decided what to do about training for new levels and the cost of training. I've pretty much settled on the ruling that if you reach a level break while on an extended dungeon expedition, that you'll be able to go ahead and advance the level, but you'll be expected to go and get some training to confirm what you think you've learned as soon as the expedition is over and you can conveniently do so, and the PC may not be able to gain some level-dependent benefits of the new level without training as I will now explain further: [1] magic-users and illusionists will not gain any new spells until they can train, unless there are very special circumstances that override this ruling; [2] fighters, rangers, paladins, and all other character classes as well, but this primarily will affect the warrior classes, will not be able to gain an additional attack per round without training; [3] thieves will not be able to gain an additional multiplier to their backstab damage without training, [4] clerics will not be able to turn undead at their new, higher level until the training for the level is completed, [5] clerics and druids will not gain access to any new spell levels to which their new level may entitle them until the requisite training is completed; and [6] no character may gain additional weapon proficiencies without training.

If a PC gains a new level without the benfit of training, I ask that you note on his/her character sheet the new, higher level number followed by the qualifying notation "[untrained]" until such time as the training is completed, when the qualifier shall be removed.

Of course, characters of "name level" and above will be able to complete the necessary periods of training on their own by self-study and experimentation, but the costs will be the same. In no event shall a character be able to gain more than one level without receiving the necessary training -- XP will cease to be gained 100XP before the second successive level is reached in this event.

This list of level-dependent abilties represents the things each class can do that require an additional amount of instruction in the secret/hidden aspects of the class's powers -- the mysteries of each class, if you will.

Without formal training, any character may gain the hit die associated with a new level, gain better attack probabilities from any advance of column on the relevant attack matrix, and gain any additional number(s) of spells per day that may be prepared of a level of spell that the character can already cast.

Training costs will surely fall well-below the amount in the rules as written, [1,500 gp X the old level of the character to be trained, minimum] and will vary according to the amount of wealth gained by the PCs for the relevant period. [Which may include one or more past adventures if the PCs discover a vast trove and are then flush with gold for some time thereafter.]

Last edited:

Apologies for my absence. I most frequently post from work and they have now blocked access to most sites that aren't work related which has made getting online to post much more challenging, especially since I work 12 hour shifts. Give me a bit to catch up and I'll get a post up soon.

Leif

Adventurer
Somebody needs to divide the treasure. Any volunteers? I've already given you experience for treasure, an equal share for each character, but the actual division of the loot is player business.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases