Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01]

Imperialus

Explorer
OOC: Son of a gun, you're right, sd! Never mind. Now back to IC stuff... except for...

OOC: How in the heck did I miss that all these years? 1E druid's spell progression is just whacked from 1st level to 12th level -- they get 7th level spells a good healthy jump before any other class.

Figured I'd shift this over here.

One of the key thing's I've found with balancing some of the 'wonkier' classes is that a DM really needs to focus on bringing their alignment and code of conduct restrictions into play. I think a lot of it is also due to the fact that the Druid's XP and spell advancement table needs to be shortened to fit 14 levels as opposed to the 29 that are listed for the cleric. Also no strongholds, the need to fight it out with other druids once you hit 12th level, and the attribute requirements (especially if you roll 3d6 in order) made druids, rangers, monks, paladins and even assassins rare and special characters.

That said, Druids are still a pretty rockin class. I played one from 2nd to 5th level at one point.

Imperialus

Explorer
Cam's HP roll

1d8=6

That's actually 8 HP due to his Con of 16

Cam's leveled up and good to go... 37 HP at level 3... Dude's a freaking tank.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Figured I'd shift this over here.

One of the key thing's I've found with balancing some of the 'wonkier' classes is that a DM really needs to focus on bringing their alignment and code of conduct restrictions into play. I think a lot of it is also due to the fact that the Druid's XP and spell advancement table needs to be shortened to fit 14 levels as opposed to the 29 that are listed for the cleric. Also no strongholds, the need to fight it out with other druids once you hit 12th level, and the attribute requirements (especially if you roll 3d6 in order) made druids, rangers, monks, paladins and even assassins rare and special characters.

That said, Druids are still a pretty rockin class. I played one from 2nd to 5th level at one point.
What I can't believe is that I never payed enough attention to the class to even notice how fast they get 2nd and 3rd level spells. Criminy!

Cam's HP roll

1d8=6

That's actually 8 HP due to his Con of 16

Cam's leveled up and good to go... 37 HP at level 3... Dude's a freaking tank.
Rock on, my brother!

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Each player does NOT need to specifically state that he's ready, but you may if you wish. Updated characters in the RG will be the clue in which I'm interested.

Well...since I may...if I wish...
SHIYANA'S READY!

....just sayin'. Whenever you're ready. :)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Ummmm...what did he have us do? I know we spoke to a scribe...hang on...

<rummage through posts, rummage, rummage>

There's this...
The cowled, robed scholar, a late-middle-age fellow who you now notice is looking rather thin and gaunt, upon seeing that he is not immediately followed, turns back to address the party again, "Perhaps I was too hasty before. I would gladly offer counsel to gentlemen such as you if you wish to avail yourselves of my knowledge. But you seem to have your hands full at the moment, so allow me to invite you to inquire at my library in the alley to the north of Wailing Street, just across from the, ah, the ... courtesan's ... parlor."

<rummage rummage> AH! His name is "Rathmore"
Speaking of Turthain, the cowled, robed Scholar fnally caught his breath and is now able to answer the elf. "Indeed, Sir Elf, I am called Rathmore the Scribe. I hire myself out to various organizations in Briarwood to bring their records up to date sometimes, and I was working at just such a task over at the Mercenary's Guild on Silver Street, just over yon way, when a youth ran in exclaiming that there were Heroes of the Sword doing battle with orcs over in the Old South Road who needed help from guardsmen. Naturally, since the lad was in the Mercenary's Guild and not a station of the Briarwood Guard, I'm not entirely sure that the guard will be coming at all. But, being the adventuresome type myself, I made haste work of my task and ran over here hoping that I could meet you. You see, I hunger and thirst for adventure, but certain conditons and allergies that afflict me make it impossible for me to do this myself. Also, I am a bit past the ideal age for such activity. For an up-and-coming band of adventurers, however, I could be a great boon as a source of information about the folk, the history, and the goings on in Briarwood. I feel sure that we could arrive at an agreeable arrangement that would be to our mutual profit."

OOC: Okay, you got me -- I just forgot to put this in my last post where I intended for it to be, so the 'scribe'/'would-be-sage' suddenly became an out-of-breath asthmatic. He's only come about four or five blocks, but he's wheezing like he just ran a marathon.

...and this...

The first room of the scribe's shop looks as you expect: There is a long desk, with sheaves of parchment, many quills, and many, many bottles of inks of various colors. There is also a bookcase which holds many musty, dusty lexicons and various reference works. There is a bell on the desk, and a door at the back that leads further into the shop.

But seeing her companions indulge Rathmore's inquiry she will add, "And I am Shiyana of the Shadebough Circle. Do you know of it?" "Yes indeed, very good to meet you, Turthain, Odo, and Shiyana. Hmm, what do I seek to gain? Well, what we all seek to gain, of course! I am hoping that, if my information proves to be profitable for you, you will see fit to first tell me of your exploits so that I may record them, and second perhaps even see fit to share the profits with me if my information puts you in a position to profit. I understand that it would by no means be an equal share with the fellows who are hazarding life and limb to gain the profits, but perhaps you will agree that the good infornation that I give you that allows you to gain the gold in the first pace is worth, say, one half of such a share? Oh, and rest assured, if my chronicling of your exploits proves profitable for me, then I will in turn share the profit with you to the same extent that you share yours with me.

Thennnn...it appears he pointed us to the troubles in the farming village that we went to go take care of...that's all I've got. [which was good cuz I didn't remember any of this either. lol.]

Leif

Adventurer
Ummmm...what did he have us do? I know we spoke to a scribe...hang on...

There's this...

<rummage rummage> AH! His name is "Rathmore" ...and this...

Thennnn...it appears he pointed us to the troubles in the farming village that we went to go take care of...that's all I've got. [which was good cuz I didn't remember any of this either. lol.]
Rathmore the Scribe. Yes, that's just what I was thinking of, thanks! Ok, I had forgotten that he actually put you onto your current adventure. PBP goes so slow that it may be another year of real time before you finish the dungeon, though. So I'm sure we'll forget about him again, and the poor sage will probably not see a single, solitary copper piece from his effort putting you onto this adventure. Oh, well. *snif* Poor Rathmore!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases