Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Not sure if you want this sort of thing here or not...since it's all OOC basically, I put it here. But if you prefer it be in the IC thread, just say so.
---------------------------------------

OOC: My PH lists the ranges for sling (bullet) as 4/8/16 nor 4/8/12 as you said. My reading of that is 40 feet, 80 feet, and 160 feet. I'm not convinced that the "10 yard" convention applies to weapon ranges, even outdoors. I could probably find a definitive answer if I had the time now, but we'll go with that for the moment. That would make it a short range shot to the two orcs accosting the man in the street, a long range shot to the ones entering the temple, and a medium range shot to the ones in the alley.

You're right. 16 it is. Not sure what I row I was following. Ok then...

If she believes she can reach them/in range, then she's firing with her sling, (she's a bit impetuous-self-assured and not waiting for replies from Camlin or Turthain. She rather assumes that instructions/suggestions will be followed) and moving over to the alley way to get a quick peek around the corner, en route to the muggers, to make sure those orcs aren't trying to get into the Red Axe via a back door or something.

<OOC>So, are you rolling "nish" or should we? Or are we getting a surprise round? Either way, she's firing at the muggers and then switching weapons and moving to intercept...and peers down the alley to see...

The Orcs in the alley look as though they have made a wrong turn and are about to head back toward you and the street.

Greaaaat...Here's to being impetuous. haha. She'll continue on to the muggers.

I guess we have to wait a bit for others to post their actions.</OOC>

--SD

Rhun

First Post
I seem to recall that yes, distances outside are in yards, not feet. Which never made sense to me, but whatever. I'll have to look it up again when I get back to my trusty PHB.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I seem to recall that yes, distances outside are in yards, not feet. Which never made sense to me, but whatever. I'll have to look it up again when I get back to my trusty PHB.

You are correct. Outdoor distances are 1" equals 10 yards; indoors it is 1" equals 10 feet.

Edit: [MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] - In my Player's Handbook it specifically states that the distance conversion does apply to missile range. It also states that the outdoor distances are the accurate maximums. The indoor distances assume things like low ceilings and partial walls and other elements that affect an accurate shot.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
You are correct. Outdoor distances are 1" equals 10 yards; indoors it is 1" equals 10 feet.

Edit: [MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] - In my Player's Handbook it specifically states that the distance conversion does apply to missile range. It also states that the outdoor distances are the accurate maximums. The indoor distances assume things like low ceilings and partial walls and other elements that affect an accurate shot.

It is still just a very strange mechanic. :)

Leif

Adventurer

So noted. However, the one place where 1" does NOT convert from tens of feet to tens of yards is in the computation of spell area of effect.

STEELDRAGONS -- let's use the IC only for the actions/words of the characters, except for the odd and rare bending of that rule for convenience or humorous effect or something. You did right - that post belonged in this thread almost 100%. The part about what your character will do belongs in the IC.

SPEAKING OF INITIATIVE -- I let you start things off without requiring a check, but now that the other two orcs are joining the festivities we're going to need a group initiative roll of just a naked d6.

Imperialus

Explorer
OOC: Not sure what you mean by AC 15, Imperialus. There is no AC 15 in 1E AD&D, remember? But, yes, Cam's attack roll of 5 did miss.

I reflexively default to THAC0, even with 1st ed, the math works the same, especially for a fighter class. The AC 15 comment was more regarding just how cruddy the roll was. :p

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
@Leif , @Rhun , @Jacob Marley , @Imp erialis:

[EDIT] Ok that's weird. I keep typing in "Imperialis" and when I save it, the mention comes up as "Imp <space> erialis." Anyone know what that's about? [/EDIT]

How are we handling treasure?

Should I put these 16ep onto Shiyana's character "sheet" or are we going to keep it all in a bag and divide it later or list it all in some communal thread here for later reference/tally, or...what?

How would everyone like to proceed with that? And/or Leif, how would you like it to proceed to keep things easy for everyone/XP purposes?

Since XP is coming from treasure in this game, I would just assume we pool and divide out everything fair n' square so as not to just have a game where everyone is racing to get to the monster's pockets first.

But I will concede to the group consensus (or DM preference).

Just curious...since I actually have some loot now. :)
Happy Sunday, all.
--SD

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
To clarify -- the party can divide treasure any way they wish, but XP for treasure is my department! Treasure XP will be divided equally among all characters participating in gaining the treasure. Period, regardless of how much treasure goes into any character's pouch.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases