Would you get behind Race levels?

Number48

First Post
So there is talk about making Race an equal part of your character. They have also let us know that there will now be Themes in addition to Race and Class. In the situation I imagine, not based on any facts, I saw Theme as being something that goes up in level consecutively with Class and of equal importance as Race and Class. That got me thinking, if we can level up Class and Theme, why not level up your race? So that at level 3, you are a level 3 Dwarf Fighter Noble and not a Dwarf, level 3 Fighter Noble or even a Dwarf Noble, level 3 Fighter.

I think I like the idea. It's not about your character becoming more Dwarfy, it's about your entire character concept leveling up, about it being as important that you're a Dwarf at level 15 as it was at level 1.

Like, dislike, indifferent?

The Human Target

Adventurer
I like the idea that if race is going to be relevant, it should stay that way through the levels.

However you would do such a thing is open to interpretation.

Number48

First Post
Yeah, it's definitely a tough nut to crack. You don't want to level up anything that steps on the toes of Class and Theme, at least not too much. But that's why we pay professionals to do it.

Number48

First Post
You know, the Dwarves as short humans is just the thing. In the sources that inspired D&D, being an Elf or a Dwarf made you radically different. Leveling race would keep that feel. Not leveling race would make everyone "funny-looking humans" after a few levels.

Ichneumon

First Post
I'd be happy with a mechanic that turns race into an important pillar of your PC, and race levels could be it. Really depends on what levelling up in a particular race gives you, and whether it doesn't complicate the levelling-up process too much.

Li Shenron

Legend
From what I've heard about Themes, I got the feeling that a Theme will give you some immediate moderate benefit (e.g. skills) with possibly a price to pay, and that from that point on you will continue progressing in the Theme by yourself, i.e. not automatically getting more benefits but rather selecting Feats appropriate to the chosen Theme. So that, if you want to progress in the Theme as much as possible, you'll look forward to get all your Feats matching the theme, but if you want to progress in it only somewhat, you'll get some Feats for it and some other non-related Feats.

Race can also be Theme in this sense... there can be racial Feats to improve your starting racial benefit or add more that match with the race's flavor.

As for a true Race progression, I would be more comfortable if the racial physical characteristics (good and bad) were fixed, and the racial cultural characteristics could (if wanted) progress further all your life.

Number48

First Post
From what I've heard about Themes, I got the feeling that a Theme will give you some immediate moderate benefit (e.g. skills) with possibly a price to pay, and that from that point on you will continue progressing in the Theme by yourself, i.e. not automatically getting more benefits but rather selecting Feats appropriate to the chosen Theme.

Where is this from? I hadn't heard anything about how themes were actually implemented other than chosen at 1st level and chosen independently of your other choices.

Li Shenron

Legend
Where is this from? I hadn't heard anything about how themes were actually implemented other than chosen at 1st level and chosen independently of your other choices.

It's just my feeling about how they might be, after reading the Skills seminar transcription:

Monte: "We have themes for that. Kind of like kits in 2E. They reflect your background and life before adventuring. If you want to continue to improve in that theme (with feats, etc), you can continue to express the story of your background. Or, instead of focusing on a theme, you can choose skills and feats to sort of customize your own theme."

Monte: "What we're working with now is that you pick you stats, class, race and then you also have a theme. So you might be a commoner, a noble, a knight, aprentice, etc. These themes would offer you skills. As you go up in level you could expand on that and express the story of your background and character by picking more options that support your theme. But if you want to get into a more complex character development system (modular option), then you could pick other features and things to basically build your own theme. "

Remove ads