Proposal: Aldori Dueling Sword + Feats

Drakhar

First Post
I would like the propose allowing the following to be used, to allow Finessers additional options in the weapons they can use.

Aldori Dueling Sword: A finessable longsword that requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency to be used, but would provide Finessers a source of slashing damage that is an appealing option compared to Rapier.

Aldori Dueling Mastery: A feat that primarily is served by the fact that it would give Duelists a source of Slashing damage, it also provides an initiative boost and a benefit for not having anything in your other hand.

Systole

First Post
May want to rename to Irthan Dueling Sword/Irthan Duelign Mastery? Seems like the kind of weapons that an espionage/dexterity based country might favor.

Qik

First Post
Yeah, that a) makes sense, and b) could provide some nice background fodder. I know someone ([MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION]?) had thought up a dueling society oh so long ago, so perhaps that would be a workable tie-in.

As far as the feats, I think they should be allowed in. If nothing else, the requirements demand enough of an investment to balance the abilities they grant.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Yes, I worked on a dueling society well over a year ago and that could be a tie-in. Or we could go generic so that there is a wider application and just call it a Dueling Sword. I haven't quite figured out how I feel about this weapon and feat, though. I have a vague dislike of feats that are written for a single, specific weapon. I'll have to think about it more, maybe hear other people's ideas.

Satin Knights

First Post
Ditto on the dislike of feats for a specific weapon. But, I see no reason to disqualify this one. The gains are small compared to the number of feats you have to invest in it. Given that it needs a rename,
A meek yes.

IronWolf

blank
Is the dislike of feats for a specific weapon type from the mechanical optimal side of things?

I don't really have a problem with the feats in question. I do think they should be rebranded for E'n. I would think tying them in with the Dueling Society that Glass Eye proposed when be the most appropriate.

Satin Knights

First Post
No it is the fluff side of things. The fighting style can be used with a katana, cutlass, rapier or long hilt longsword, but only this brand name sword gets the benefit of the fighting style. That is what annoys me.

The short hilt longsword is balanced to far forward for effective dex based fighting. I used to be good at those things, many years ago.

Qik

First Post
No it is the fluff side of things. The fighting style can be used with a katana, cutlass, rapier or long hilt longsword, but only this brand name sword gets the benefit of the fighting style. That is what annoys me.

We could always expand the feat to apply to the other swords you mentioned, could we not? Doesn't seem like there'd be balance issues.

Drakhar

First Post
I agree, especially if we were going to go with having the feats be related to a dueling society, it might make more sense to have the feats apply to the chosen weapons of that society rather then simply to one type of weapon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases