Leif's "Pomarj" Greyhawk Beta Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
1. steeldragons -- re: money roll. No, don't split the difference. Roll for the class that gives you the most and ignore the others, so 5d4X10gp in this case.

Coolio. This is the kind of thing that comes out of years of houserules vs./masquerading as "by the book" knowledge in ye olde mellon. :eek:

2. If you don't like the secondary skill roll, roll again, or just choose one.

No, this is fine. I like the challenge of figuring out how to make things work/fit into the background. I'm figuring for this chap, that he is trained in the making and operation of boats but is not fond of the water. "I can make 'em. But don't 'spect me to get in one!" I'm figuring, he can basically "doggie-paddle" (i.e. won't drown!) but he's not a "swimmer" in any adept sense. Maybe even a lil'/minor/pseudo phobia. :)

Neither here nor there but when I was rolling for this guy, I realized I hadn't rolled for Shiyana (in the Alpha game). Ironically, it came up as an 80-something indicating "No measurable second skill." So, she still doesn't have/apparently didn't need one. haha.

3. Weapon Proficiencies -- like money, you take the most favorable class and go with it. In your case, again, you'll have fighter proficiencies and will gain more when your fighter level indicates, without regard to your thief level. But you still get double damage when you backstab, even if it's with a weapon that a thief can't normally use.

Right. Ok, cool. Again the memory v. book knowledge on the fritz.

4. There are 3 'breeds' of halfling: Tallfelllow, Hairfoot, & Stout. So, no, a Hairfoot is not a Stout. Hairfoots ["That's HairFEET!"] are the most common halflings and form the baseline for the race.

Yes. I thought I knew/remembered that. But then got fuzzy reading the halfling race description for special abilities and there was something that "Stouts" got the others didn't. I'm definitely a hairfoot (FEETS!). But wasn't really clear on what the Greyhawk default halfling was.

Thanks for the clarifications.

As for the "Anti-hero" style game...until you wrote that, I was planning on making him Neutral Good, then read your post and recalled Thieves can't be "Good".We always had it can't be "Lawful" instead (reasoning anyone can steal things, but even evil societies don't like people taking what's not theres!). Again, houserule/book rule conflama of the brain.

The AD&D-Force was clearly weak with me yesterday! lol.

Though I am not a fan of "evil" campaigns/playng the villain (accidental/wrongly accused villain works just fine).

But for the "Scrappy-Doo" gambler/good times self-perceived "ladies' halfling" ragamuffin I was beginning to form him as, a straight Neutral or even Chaotic Neutral (not to worry, fellow Players, that does not, to me, equal "Chaotic Nuts"!) would work just as well.

I could totally see him in a "forced/accidentally falling into the hero [or villain]" role and/or "redeeming" to actually think of others as much as himself...well, not as much, but close. ;)

So works for me if it works for everyone else. (In case it hasn't yet become evident, I'm pretty easy to please.) :D

--SD
PS: Are halflings called "Hin" in Greyhawk or is that Mystara? What do they refer to themselves as?

Leif

Adventurer
Thieves can actually be good, but only Neutral/Good, or at least that's the way we always played it, since RAW say that they must be evil or neutral. Hmmm, seems as if maybe we were confusing the good-evil axis with the law-chaos axis. *shrug*

I have no problem with your halfling being the lone 'point of light' in a party of evildoers. Might even be good for the party to have a socially acceptable 'face' character to represent them to the public. But we haven't even seen Strahd's character yet, nor have we seen final versions of some of the others. I understand that vladamir63 was having issues with posting -- she joined ENWorld, paid her dues, but was still not allowed to post last night. Hopefully that is resolved today.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Thieves can actually be good, but only Neutral/Good, or at least that's the way we always played it, since RAW say that they must be evil or neutral. Hmmm, seems as if maybe we were confusing the good-evil axis with the law-chaos axis. *shrug*

Yeah, we did/interpreted it that way too for a long time.

Then we got to point/particular campaign where religion, phiosophy (and hence, Alignment) became a pretty big thing and it was suggested/pointed out that the RAW say "evil or neutral" (small "e", small "n") not "Chaotic or Netural" (big letters).

And with the reasoning above, it just made more sense to us that the requisite skills of the "Thief/Rogue" were not necessarily "not good" (again, small "g") but would be an infraction on pretty much any society's laws.

So it kinda "light bulb DINGGGed", this (the alignment restriction for theives) isn't the Law-Chaos axis but the "good-evil" one! How could you have a "Lawful Neutral Thief?!" So we altered the permissions and Neutral Good and even Chaotic Good thieves abounded forever after. :)

As for my guy...I'll wait and see how the rest of the group goes/wants. Chaotic Neutral is sounding better and better the more I think about it...but NG is always still a possibility for/if we go along the "heroes" avenue.

...I'm just more worried about coming up with a decent name at this point. lol.
-SD

wolfattack

First Post
Hi Leif,
Do you have a place for another player? which edition of the game you will use? i have the three AD&D 2nd core books (not the ones with the black cover) and would like to actually play the game.i know the rules but never got in to a game before. i would like to play with a wizard or Thief if these classes are available (and no one else already choose them).

Last edited:

Hope you heard good things about me ;)
I've been here for too long and I DM two games that are still running for six years. I played many games but RL had it toll (family and etc...) and my appearance over here is not as it used to be.

Evil party, sure why not ... done it in the past., I’m willing to take the shadowy wizard, a necromancer perhaps ...

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I've been here for too long and I DM two games that are still running for six years. I played many games but RL had it toll (family and etc...) and my appearance over here is not as it used to be.

Evil party, sure why not ... done it in the past., I’m willing to take the shadowy wizard, a necromancer perhaps ...

Hello Strahd! And welcome to the 1e soiree!

I do hope the RL stuff hasn't taken toooo much toll. I've had my share the past couple of years and condolences if it has. Real Life sucks! And then there's D&D. :D

Not to burst the "Necromancer" bubble, but my understanding was this was a 1e PHB AD&D game (like the Alpha one)...lamentably, sans Unearthed Arcana. So, I belieeeeeve, no Necromancers.

I'm all good (though can't speak for my character ;) with the "shadowy wizard" guy. Eh. He probably wouldn't care. hahaha.

Of course, this is Leif's game, so I don't want to overstep/could be wrong.

But welcome all the same.
--SD

Insight

Adventurer
Hi all,

Sorry for my slowness in replying to the various and sundry issues raised in this heated thread :p

I am perfectly OK with the "evil party" concept and in fact, am looking forward to it! I may be playing the most evilest of all the evils!!!

Anyway, I need to think about my character. The ability scores I rolled have given me lots of options and I need to consider the RP implications of the class I select. I'll have an answer soon.

Leif

Adventurer
Hi Leif,
Do you have a place for another player? which edition of the game you will use? i have the three AD&D 2nd core books (not the ones with the black cover) and would like to actually play the game.i know the rules but never got in to a game before. i would like to play with a wizard or Thief if these classes are available (and no one else already choose them).
Sorry, wolfattack, I'm afraid I've already got players coming out of my ears. This started off to be ONE AD&D game, and now I've already filled up TWO parties. I better quit while I still can with the recruiting, so sorry but there's not a spot for anyone else.

Heard mostly good stuff...... :)

There's no reason why you can't be a magic-user who prefers to cast spells from the necromancy school, and thus you could always call yourself a necromancer. Perhaps one of your caracters fondest hopes is to be albe to cast the spell Animate Dead so that he can fulfill in some twisted way his dream of being an evil high priest? Or maybe reanimate his long-dead granny to collect on all the hugs he missed as a child?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases