Leif's "Pomarj" Greyhawk Beta Game [AD&D 1E] [OOC 01]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Charge:
This action brings the charging party into combot on the charge round, but
there are a number of considerotions when it is token.

Movement Rate Outdoors: Movement bonus for charging in normal outdoor
settings is 33%% of base speed for bipedal creatures, 50% for
quadrupeds. (Cf. TSRs SWORDS 8 SPELLS.)

Movement Rate Indoors: The indoor/dungeon rate is greatly reduced due
to the conditions. Therefore, all movement of the charge is double base
speed, remembering that encumbered creatures are not allowed to
charge.
The opponent must be within 10' distance at the termination
of the charge in order for any blows to be struck during that round.

Armor Class of Charging Creatures: There is no dexterity bonus allowed
for charging creatures. Creatures with no dexterity bonus became 1 armor
class lower, i.e. easier to hit.
Thus on AC 3 creature becomes AC 4. There is
no penalty to AC 10 creatures for charging, however

Wow that's all...random. lol.

Leif

Adventurer
Random? Perhaps. I found those rules this morning and I didn't know them, so I thought I'd share in case others didn't know them also.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Random? Perhaps. I found those rules this morning and I didn't know them, so I thought I'd share in case others didn't know them also.

In my games, I paid/pay attention to encumbrance. But the "charging" stuff, I never really knew...or remember. If, once upon a time, I did know them, I am sure I didn't enforce them.

How does "charging" get you 33% of your movement? I mean, I can see it...I understand the reasoning. An the half-again on a mount...makes sense...though I'd be inclined to allow double on a mount. It is a "charge" after all.

The whole dex. bonus loss...never played into my games. Of that, I am quite sure. But, somehow (probably because originally you couldn't get "worse" than AC 10) the idea that C 10 people don't while everyone else does...but only by one...so what happens if your Dex bonus to AC is 2 or 3? Apparently, you just lose 1?

Hey, don't get me wrong, AD&D is, has always been, "my" game. But I guess, decades of houserules and developing my own game world/setting, years of incorporating 2e rules...and then some 3e elements...and such, have just thwarted/twisted my memory or understanding of the RAW.

BUT, this is not "my game" or game world/setting. This is ALL YOU, LIEF! Do with it as thou wouldst. I've found your rulings and allowances thus far to be more than fair to the PCs...and I heartily thank you for it.

Having a blast!
--SD

Leif

Adventurer
In my games, I paid/pay attention to encumbrance. But the "charging" stuff, I never really knew...or remember. If, once upon a time, I did know them, I am sure I didn't enforce them.

How does "charging" get you 33% of your movement? I mean, I can see it...I understand the reasoning. An the half-again on a mount...makes sense...though I'd be inclined to allow double on a mount. It is a "charge" after all.

The whole dex. bonus loss...never played into my games. Of that, I am quite sure. But, somehow (probably because originally you couldn't get "worse" than AC 10) the idea that C 10 people don't while everyone else does...but only by one...so what happens if your Dex bonus to AC is 2 or 3? Apparently, you just lose 1?

Hey, don't get me wrong, AD&D is, has always been, "my" game. But I guess, decades of houserules and developing my own game world/setting, years of incorporating 2e rules...and then some 3e elements...and such, have just thwarted/twisted my memory or understanding of the RAW.

BUT, this is not "my game" or game world/setting. This is ALL YOU, LEIF! Do with it as thou wouldst. I've found your rulings and allowances thus far to be more than fair to the PCs...and I heartily thank you for it.

Having a blast!
--SD
Ok, not really too sure, but let me take a stab at it:

The 133% movement on only a charge is only OUTDOORS, where movement is in 10's of YARDS instead of tens of feet.
Indoors, where movement is in 10s of feet, movment during a charge is at double your normal rate.

The whole "lose your Dex bonus when you cast a spell" thing does make sense, if you assume that magic users and clerics are making 'full-body' arcane if not obscene gestures and chanting in unknown tongues when they cast a spell. 3.5E is quite the contrary -- there it specifically says that wizards can gesture adequately to cast spells if they have just one hand free to make signs. And that reinforces the idea that magic-users have no business in melee.

But no one really plays that way do they? M-Us are always in melee, casting magic missile, lightning bolt, or fireball. And, frankly, M-Us have, IMHO, enough of a penalty to AC just from the 'no armor' restriction. So, I'm not looking to follow this rule at all.

Is that ok with everybody?

Oh, and thanks, sd! I'm glad to hear that you're still enjoying the game.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Sorry, guys, I haven't been too 'with it' for a few days. I'll try toget us going properly again soon.

And I'll look again Strahd and check on the health of that orc.

Ok, checked -- Strahd, Iono did 2hp damage the first time and 2 more hp damage the second time. So even a 5hp orc would still be standing.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases