What do you recommend for the Xbox 360? - Page 2

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Mallus
    My communities:

Thanks for the replies!

(I left out my preferences intentionally -- I wanted to hear what people who aren't me were interested in)

I'll definitely pick up Gears of War to start with. Signature series and all (and the 1st one's $4.99 used). I'm definitely most interested in older games/Marketplace games.
    "You should probably put your bandit hat on now. Personally, I- I don't have one, but I modified this tube sock." - Ash, Fantastic Mr. Fox.

The Chronicle of Burne, and Some Others of Lesser Importance: Updated 05-17-2009! Current episode: Flight of the Philip.

The Port on the Aster Sea
    Our 4e setting. It's a heartbreaking work of staggering genius!

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore Mark Hope
    My communities:

Well, now that we've given you some suggestions, would you like to tell us your preferences so that we can give more precise answers? Or is it still a secret ?

Another great game to check out would be Bioshock (and its sequel). Really brilliant environment, frightening antagonists and a truly memorable and immersive story. Can't believe I forgot this one, actually. One of my favourite games evar.
    The name that can be named is not the true name.

(Trace)
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

13th AgeZEITGEISTGen ConENniesO.G.R.E.I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Hand of Evil
    My communities:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - just hit the stores
    Signature:
    All I need is minions and I would rule the world.

Links updated: 2010.Oct.23
    Threads to reference:

DM ADVICE ---Maps and Other Campaign Resources --

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore catsclaw227
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hope View Post
    Another great game to check out would be Bioshock (and its sequel). Really brilliant environment, frightening antagonists and a truly memorable and immersive story. Can't believe I forgot this one, actually. One of my favourite games evar.
    Oh, man. I can't believe I forgot that one too. I played the first one on the PC, but the second on my XBox 360. Totally awesome.
    Game on, gang!
    Ptolus #15 (with customized, personalized sig from Monte.), Rappan Athuk Reloaded #37 (The Necromancer way.)

Current Campaign

Current Campaign: Currently running Deadlands for Savage Worlds. Also have a Slumbering Tsar 4e campaign that is taking a break, but we'll be starting that up again in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by catsclaw227 View Post
    Oh, man. I can't believe I forgot that one too. I played the first one on the PC, but the second on my XBox 360. Totally awesome.
    So am I the only person who can't play Bioshock without getting screaming headaches? Some FPSs just seem to drive an Icepick in my brain.

• Crysis 2 (360)
    • Mirror's Edge (360) { I know I'm not the only one on this one )
    • Bioshock (360)
    • Orange Box's Half Life (360)
    • Metriod Prime (GC)
    • Call of Cthulhu: DCotE (xbox)
    • Doom (snes)

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Ignore Dragonwriter
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Deset Gled View Post
    The Halo series is the default FPS. These are the games by which all of FPSs are judged. You need to own at least one of them.
    On console, pretty much.

For shooters, I can't really agree with the praise given to Halo. I found the Halo games to have moments of genius interspersed with long stretches of suck.
    While I wouldn't go quite so far with the wording, I do tend to agree, particularly in regards to Halo 3 and ODST.
    Halo: Reach, however, I found to be entirely too awesome. If you intend to only get one Halo game, make it Reach.

Bioshock is truly amazing. Probably the best story in an FPS I've ever experienced. Bioshock 2 was good, but didn't quite measure up IMO (plus your character in 2 took forever to actually become durable in a fight). The Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2 was great.

I suppose I should mention some cross-platform games... Previously, I was only sticking with 360-exclusives. You may already have these on your shelf, and if not, they should be fine on either system.

Darksiders is very cool action game, borrowing a lot from Zelda and God of War while also making a really cool history and world.
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is also an excellent action game (again, borrowing quite a bit from God of War) but the story is... weirdly done - much as I love Patrick Stewart, having him give a short, badly-written monologue at the start of every single level was not the way to go.
    The Assassin's Creed series is a fantastic batch of games. AC1 is probably the weakest entry in the series, but the others are worth checking out, at the very least.
    The new Batman games (Arkham Asylum and Arkham City) are downright amazing. Asylum's final boss is a letdown, but the rest is brilliant. And City is one of my favorite games of all time.
    Brtal Legend is great fun with plenty of metal-infused humor and one of the most vibrant and original settings I've ever seen. Plus, it's got a great voice cast and soundtrack (if you're a heavy metal fan).
    Ninja Gaiden II (and the PS3 Sigma upgrade) is one of the most blisteringly brutal, controller-busting difficult, yet viscerally satisfying games on the market. But only get it if you want totally over-the-top action and a serious challenge and have no problem with tons of gore and flying limbs.
    Shadows of the Damned is a crazy, fun, creepy, (vulgar, raunchy,) 3rd-person over-the-shoulder shooter assault on Hell. Lots of extremely tongue-in-cheek humor plus some challenging gunplay and another amazing setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwriter View Post
    Brtal Legend is great fun with plenty of metal-infused humor and one of the most vibrant and original settings I've ever seen. Plus, it's got a great voice cast and soundtrack (if you're a heavy metal fan).
    BL's problem is it was a RTS trying to disguise itself using a Heavy metal fantasy sandbox adventure. I bought it because it looked like a Heavy metal fantasy sandbox adventure, and probably not the only slightly peeved how much RTS one has to shlog through.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Brutal-Legend
    Last edited by frankthedm; Wednesday, 8th February, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Kzach
    Fallout 3 is an awful game but New Vegas is quite good.

Skyrim is both awesome and a major suckfest. There's some really great things about it, but it's mixed in with a lot of just plain awful. Then there's the huge amount of bugs in it.

Mass Effect 3 is coming out next month and if you've got a Kinect already, it's going to be Kinect capable so you can go around changing weapons, interacting with in-game elements and throwing frag grenades with voice commands. I recommend getting Mass Effect 1 & 2 and playing through them both, in order obviously, and then importing your character to ME3 to get the full experience. ME3 is going to be amazingly epic and a must have for every collection, IMO.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore catsclaw227
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Fallout 3 is an awful game but New Vegas is quite good.
    Aaaaakkk! I loved Fallout 3!!!!! The character creation was without parallel. @Kzach, buddy, we agree on almost everything 3.x and 4.x (except for the whole houserule thing, but we're closer than you think). But Fallout!?!?!

What did you dislike about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Mass Effect 3 is coming out next month and if you've got a Kinect already, it's going to be Kinect capable so you can go around changing weapons, interacting with in-game elements and throwing frag grenades with voice commands. I recommend getting Mass Effect 1 & 2 and playing through them both, in order obviously, and then importing your character to ME3 to get the full experience. ME3 is going to be amazingly epic and a must have for every collection, IMO.
    Wow, I didn't know this.

OK, confession... I hate most FPS games because I am a total klutz with the console controllers. Give me a mouse and keyboard and I am relatively, normally competent. But I suck with hand-hold controllers.

So, ME and ME2 let me learn slowly, be a below average twitch player but still enjoy the games. So, do you think that by going kinect, I might be able to improve my game? Just bought a kintect and new XBox 360 (I am selling my 1st gen, with the HD DVD Drive - ha! - and a new receiver for my new 3D TV.)

Will Mass Effect 3 actually be better for us lame controller users?
    Game on, gang!
    Ptolus #15 (with customized, personalized sig from Monte.), Rappan Athuk Reloaded #37 (The Necromancer way.)

Current Campaign

Current Campaign: Currently running Deadlands for Savage Worlds. Also have a Slumbering Tsar 4e campaign that is taking a break, but we'll be starting that up again in the summer.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Kzach
    Quote Originally Posted by catsclaw227 View Post
    Will Mass Effect 3 actually be better for us lame controller users?
    Actually, I'm with you on the whole 'twitch' thing. I'm hopeless at it. It's taken me four characters and 120 levels just to get remotely competent with Skyrim's aiming system.

The awesome thing about Mass Effect is that you can pause, aim, and fire. With ME2 this is especially awesome with the Vanguard class where you can do a biotic charge which charges through solid objects (not walls though), rams into the target, and stuns everything nearby, and slows down time so that you can aim and point-blank fire a claymore shotgun (that was developed specifically for krogan because it tears the shoulder out of anyone else who wields it... luckily, you're a cyborg in ME2 ) in several opponents faces (best I've done is five in one charge). Oh, and did I also mention that it temporarily boosts your biotic shielding after the charge?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast