[LPF] Kostry Kopec

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion fumbles for a bit to put his hand on the wall. He turns to face the direction of Ty's voice. He takes a deep breath and starts walking forward, slowly. When the bright light of Kalgor's daylight hits his eyes, he blinks a couple times before saying "Allright, I am learning how to see in the dark."

jkason

First Post
With Tyrien's help, Anaerion makes his way into the area where Kalgor's magic negates the magical darkness. Shortly thereafter, Kalgor and Gragnor's vision clears. As Tyrien stands with her eyes covered, the light from Kalgor's helm brightens noticably, but the two downed creatures appear to be breathing easier rather than exploding in a shower of light.

[sblock=ooc]Kalgor and Gragnor only had two more rounds of blindness, so their eyes should clear 'round the time Anaerion makes it in. Shortly thereafter the Darkness SLAs expire, meaning the Daylight spell now sheds its full Bright Light.

The two remaining creatures have both stabilized on their own.[/sblock]

[sblock=As promised, the light breakdown]Okay, firstly, to try to be consistent, I ruled that both darkness and light effects didn't 'spread' but rather 'burst,' and were blocked by walls. I didn't want to deal with the nightmare of reflected light.

The creatures can cast Darkness at will as a spell-like ability, which they did shortly before the party arrived (SLA don't require components, so this didn't affect their stealth checks).

Darkness reduces the effective light level within its area, though it can't reduce a level beyond normal darkness, so darkvision sees through it. Gragnor and Kalgor, then, didn't notice a difference as they entered the chamber, and the darkness effect didn't spread into the stairwell more than a square until the creatures surrounded Gragnor and were in line to allow that.

Darkness explicitly says "Magical light sources only increase the light level in an area if they are of a higher spell level than darkness." Continual flame is the same level as Darkness, so the ioun torch was unable to raise the light level: i.e., when in the darkness effect, the torch was suppressed.

Kalgor cast Daylight, which is not only a higher level, but has explicit text re: its interaction with the Darkness spell:

Daylight brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect.

Emphasis mine. So, when he first cast Daylight, the overlapping area covered Tyrien's square, temporarily negating the effect, and thus allowing the ioun torch to once again work.

When Kalgor moved into the room, however, the overlapping Daylight/darkness area no longer reached Tyrien (Daylight's line of effect blocked by the wall), which meant the torch was once again unable to raise illumination levels.

The 'brief flash' of the torch was fluff on my part. Per RAW, the death of a Dark Creeper results in a bright flash of light that forces blindness saves to all in a 10' radius. I decided that the Darkness effect reduced the intensity of the light, so that in essence the flash worked momentarily like the Daylight spell, and the ioun torch flared a moment and Tyrien avoided having to make a Fort save.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Yeah, If you are not traveling with an aasimar, three of these little buggers can TPK a party. And their taller masters, well, I have seen one of them decimate an eighth level party. Darkness at will is hard. Deeper Darkness at will is viciously painful.[/sblock]"We should interrogate them, but they are tricky little bastards that can cast darkness at will. So, only if we strip them naked and tie them down firmly with a blade to their throat. Otherwise we will have another fight on our hands."

sunshadow21

Explorer
As the last one drops, Ausk will come out of his rage, and once he catches his breath, will keep watch over the unconscious forms. "It concerns me that we did not see them on the way in, and yet we did just now. That suggests that there is another way in that we have not discovered."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

OOC: Re: Illumination. I guess I was expecting the Daylight to suppress the Darkness effects at the source. So the darkness burst template would not reach Tyrien, leaving her Ioun Torch to illuminate normally. Seems kind of weird the way it was happening. Dunno if it was right or not.
Tyrien gestures towards the other door, “We did not explore that way any further, figuring that a closed door could wait while the open stairway should have priority.”

She nods as Kalgor mentions preparations for interrogating the prisoners. The half-elven girl puts away her longbow and draws the large sword from the scabbard across her back. Tyrien is ready with the blade to decapitate the first of the buggers to interrogate should they try something stupid.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +7 Perception: +11 (low-light vision)
AC: 20 (15 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 40 Current: 40
CMB: +6 CMD: 21(16ff) Fort: +5 Reflex: +9 Will: +4
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Arcane Strike (+1 Dmg), Resistance, Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]___________________________________________

LieraAvatar2.jpg
Tyrien e'Adrianne

jkason

First Post
As the others recover from the fight, Kanli finally wanders into the room.

"The Granite Hierophant has scrawled warning into the earth. Take care 'gainst the darkness that walks and blades the eat the strength of ... oh."

He stops as he sees the unconscious creatures on the floor.

"I see you already read the missives of doom and burned them."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien looks at the others and mentions, “I can cast two minor healing spells per day, but I figured they were more of an emergency thing.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +7 Perception: +11 (low-light vision)
AC: 20 (15 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 40 Current: 40
CMB: +6 CMD: 21(16ff) Fort: +5 Reflex: +9 Will: +4
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Arcane Strike (+1 Dmg), Resistance, Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]___________________________________________

LieraAvatar2.jpg
Tyrien e'Adrianne

jkason

First Post
The two creatures each have a mundane dagger, but the poisons they use seem to have been spent in their individual attacks. The dagger next to the pile of rags that was the third creature, though, still glistens with a nasty black coating. Kalgor's further searching of both captives and pile reveals little else but nasty, smelly rags. Layers of them, each one more rotten and rank than the one atop it. He pulls rope from his bag and begins binding the creatures in anticipation of waking them.

[sblock=ooc]Three mundane daggers, one still with a dose of poison on it. No other loot on the creatures.

I see Kalgor has two lengths of rope on him. Is he using one of each to bind the creatures, or just one of them? If the latter, which one, and is he tying the creatures together, or cutting the rope (to what lengths?)[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Using the 50' rope. Not cutting it, but using about 10' of each end to tie the buggers up. That leaves about 30' in the middle. That way, one acts as an anchor for the other if it manages to stand and try running.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases