[LPF] Kostry Kopec

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]If there is a better skill to try to use, let me know. I guess my pet peeve with Diplomacy as written is that it's supposed to be the skill you can use to change people's attitudes, but it gives no provisions for how you are able to even have the chance to do so in an encounter like this. There has to be some way to establish the conversation in the first place, even with hostile and unfriendly opponents ,and while Bluff and Intimidate can work to a point, both can have very sharp counterreactions that ultimately make the conversation harder. I understand that fully changing an attitude is going to take more than a round, but if the request is reasonable, and backed up by proper actions, it should not autofail, regardless of what the opponent's current attitude is.[/sblock]

Ausk simply watches and waits, having done everything he knew how to for the time being and seeing the others in control of the conversation.

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
If there is a better skill to try to use, let me know. I guess my pet peeve with Diplomacy as written is that it's supposed to be the skill you can use to change people's attitudes, but it gives no provisions for how you are able to even have the chance to do so in an encounter like this. There has to be some way to establish the conversation in the first place, even with hostile and unfriendly opponents ,and while Bluff and Intimidate can work to a point, both can have very sharp counterreactions that ultimately make the conversation harder. I understand that fully changing an attitude is going to take more than a round, but if the request is reasonable, and backed up by proper actions, it should not autofail, regardless of what the opponent's current attitude is.

I think Diplomacy in general was a fine enough skill to use. My general take on the 'must be indifferent for requests' line is that lower attitudes come with nasty biases. I've seen plenty of people dismiss a perfectly valid point / request specifically because of their pre-determined ire toward a person, so that seems pretty reasonable to me. If someone has nasty feelings toward you, you have to put in some extra effort (attitude adjustment) to get them to even hear you out on your request.

Honestly, even if I didn't declare and auto-fail, the DCs for requests lower than Indifferent start at 20 + Cha mod, so Ausk wasn't anywhere near it. Like I said, I chose to treat that roll as a request rather than adjustement in part because failing that has a much less severe consequence than a by-more-than-5 fail adjusting attitude, which would have essentially sabotaged the successful Bluff attempt by turning the ghoul irreparably against you.

Mind you, folks may really just want to be hacking it to bits, which they're welcome to do, but so far you all look to be trying less lethal methods. I was trying to apply what I hoped was a favorable ruling toward those attempts.[/sblock]

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]I wasn't complaining against your ruling, simply the auto fail part written into the skill. I don't expect it to be easy, but I don't agree with the RAW that it's impossible.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
"It is here." Kalgor reaches down and opens his belt pouch. Spending a bit of time searching through, shifting his eyes back and forth between the creature and pouch rapidly, he grabs the skeleton key heavy fistedly so only a portion of the end is showing. "It iss not hizs." Even stepping forward a bit, pulling it out, "Umm, no. I need to give this back to those that owned it. That is not you. Where are they?" He then puts it back into his pouch.

[sblock=actions]Kalgor 5' step to E9, Gragnor staying put, Multiple round bluff, but hell, it is working, so he is running with it. The first bluff was supposed to be a joke by him, but it worked.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion is still ready to cast his spell, watching the events unfold carefully. However, he did hear the book the ghoul said as having "Ancient Secrets". Coincidence?

It is the disembodied voice that accompanies Anaerion that continues with

"Well, whatever this book is, it must be important! For you to gain such power, it must allow you to split yourself into many! Imagine all the work you can get done!"

"As for returning the gift to the proper owner, you do not happen to know do you? It seems to be of the utmost importance, otherwise we would not come to visit you here! "

[sblock=Actions]
Free: 5' Step to F15
Ready: Cast Grease if the ghoul approaches the party.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Stats]
Initiative: +9 Perception: +2 (low-light vision)
AC: 17 (14 flat-footed, 13 Touch )
HP: 37 Current: 37
CMB: +0 CMD:13(10ff) Fort: +3 Reflex: +3 Will: +4
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: Mage Armor
Current Weapon in Hand:

School Focus:
Shift: 10' Teleport as Dim Door. Does not Provoke AoO (8/8 remaining)
Summoner's Charm: Summoning Spells Last a total of 7 Rounds

Malkovian:
Timely Inspiration: 3/3 Immediate Action, +2 Bonus, Range 60', Immediate action
Mage Hand: At will. Controllable by either Anaerion/Malkovian
Bonus Power: Anaerion does not yet know this power.
Bonus Boon: Anaerion does has yet know this power.

Spells Prepared:
Level 0: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Acid Splash, Mending
Level 1: Mage Armor , Greasex2, Protection From Evil, Enlarge Person,[OPEN SLOT]
Level 2: Glittedust, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Web
Level 3: Haste,SM3x2
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

OOC: Sorry, forgot about needing an action to roll a skill since she was only saying a few words. Still, I think an Aid Another is a Standard action, even if it is aiding a full round action. Dunno for sure, just asking.
Tyrien has doubts this ruse will really resolve anything, it bought them time to get ready to deal with the undead creature. She comments quietly over her shoulder, "Eww, I am not going swimming in there."

"Anaerion, do you suppose that book is magical?"

She keeps that arrow nocked and ready, expecting things to erupt into violence at any moment.

[sblock=Actions]Free Action: Talking
Swift Action: Activate Arcane Strike; +1 damage
Full Attack Action: Readied rapid shot; Longbow (1st Arrow) (1d20+8=26, 1d8+10=11); Longbow (2nd Arrow) (1d20+8=15, 1d8+10=15)
Move Action: n/a

* Readied shot conditions; Ghoul approaches within 30ft and breaks cover. Will shoot if any of her companions are initiating hostilities. Let me know if you want me to re-roll them.[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +7 Perception: +11 (low-light vision)
AC: 20 (15 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 40 Current: 40
CMB: +6 CMD: 21(16ff) Fort: +5 Reflex: +9 Will: +4
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Arcane Strike (+1 Dmg), Resistance, Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]___________________________________________

LieraAvatar2.jpg
Tyrien e'Adrianne

jackslate45

First Post
"Possibly yes, if he is saying it gives him great powers. If not, then it holds some significance to him, given that he mentioned it without our asking. Either way, we need to be careful" Anaerion's whisperers back.
[sblock=Actions]
[/sblock]
[sblock=Stats]
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Current Weapon in Hand:

School Focus:

Malkovian:

Spells Prepared:
Level 1: Mage Armor , Greasex2, Protection From Evil, Enlarge Person,[OPEN SLOT]
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
[sblock=Anaerion]The wizard feels a mental nudging as the ghoul keeps mentioning the book. Malkovian is becoming increasingly hungry to get his metaphysical hands on this tome of ancient secrets, and Anaerion realizes it's been nearly a week since he's upgraded his amulet's library.[/sblock]

[sblock=Aid Another]As is sometimes the case (I'm looking at you, "trait"), Aid Another is two separate things in Pathfinder. There's the Aid Another combat action, which is a Standard action to give a bonus to attack or AC. Then there's Aid Another under skills, which doesn't list a specific action that I can find. My assumption, then, is that aiding an action takes the same action as a normal application of the skill. It makes the most sense to me, anyway.

Folks with better SRD search-fu, I'll be happy to be pointed to text I'm missing, but barring that, that's my reading: You're helping up until the point at which success or failure is determined (the primary checker rolls), and that effectively happens at the end of the action.[/sblock]

The ghoul becomes increasingly agitated as Kalgor produces the object but refuses to hand it over.

"I have the book. I have the power, it's mine now, and you will give it me!" the ghoul screeches, charging forward.

Anaerion acts even as the rush begins, flinging a pat of butter into the air as he calls out a command in words that refuse to stay in the memories of those who hear them. The butter arcs further than it has any right to, then spreads into a thin, greasy coating on the floor in front of Kalgor. The ghoul hisses as he sees it, but though his pace is slowed, the undead's unnatural balance keeps him on his feet.

Tyrien also has the steadiness to act, stepping quickly from behind her pillar to fire two arrows, one of which finds its mark in the ghoul's shoulder, though the other whizzes by to land in the rubble beyond.

The ghoul seems undeterred by either effort, however. His jaw seems to almost unhinge, revealing razor sharp teeth which he proceeds to sink into Kalgor's shoulder. While pain screams through his body, the ranger finds he's still able to move after the venomous bite, much to the clear annoyance of the ghoul.

[sblock=ooc]Apologies on the delay. With all the readied actions, things got a bit complicated for me. I tried to resolve elements fairly, but took a few liberties to do so. Let me know if anyone objects:

The ghoul believed Kalgor's bluff, and that the key was something belonging to the creature, but he also believed their continued assertions that they'd only return it to the original owner. That ultimately ensured Kalgor was the ghoul's primary target.

Anaerion and Tyrien had matching initiatives, so I resolved in first-post order from the time they set their readied actions.

jackslate45 never specified a location, but since Grease only has a range of 35' at 5th level, that basically decided where the patch was going to go. Ghoul made both reflex and acrobatics checks.

I couldn't find a square along the ghoul's path that wasn't intersecting a column from where Tyrien originally was, so I gave her a 5' step to be able to fire on him. Rolled recovery chance, and the miss arrow can be recovered.

Actions: Ghoul
Move: to F9
Standard: Bite Attack vs. Kalgor. Hits. Kalgor takes 12 damage; no paralysis.

Ghoul (AC 18): 11 damage, wounded

Anaerion: 37/37
Ausk: 67/67
Gragnor: 26/26
Kalgor: 33/45
Kanli: 31/31
Tyrien: 40/40[/sblock]

Party is up.

Attachments

• Grove.jpg
    Grove.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 64

jackslate45

First Post
Knowing that he did not want to have Malkovian distract him during the fight, Anaerion whispers in Draconic "Help us win this fight Malkovian, and we can take the book. Deal?"
[sblock=Actions]
[/sblock]
[sblock=Stats]
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Current Weapon in Hand:

School Focus:

Malkovian:

Spells Prepared:
Level 1: Mage Armor ,Grease , Grease, Protection From Evil, Enlarge Person,[OPEN SLOT]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases