[LPF] Kostry Kopec

jkason

First Post
As Anaerion writes, Kanli shakes himself, and his form shudders for a moment until it has taken back the elements of the human side of his heritage.

"Thanks to the three-handed and his rebodied servant," he says with a bow of his head as he plucks the papers from the air and deposits them in his nearly-empty backpack. "May the book of madness not be your only comfort in the darkness."

At Tyrien's farewell, the half-orc smiles wide. "The Granite Heirophant builds my path clearly," he reassures her. "The soul of the hill of carrion seems to split your own, though they may all yet converge."

Finally, he looks to Ausk, Kalgor, and Gragnor with a wide smile. "Trust in the gifts of the dead who stay dead, and 'ware the home of the mad spawn," he says by way of good-bye.

With that, Kanli saunters off into the downpour, humming a tune with no discernable melody, until both the sight and sound of him disappear into the rain.

sunshadow21

Explorer
Ausk watches his fellow half-orc depart. "Perhaps, someday we will have a chance to sit down and discuss this red hand thing of yours. It seems to be something that might be of interest to me. Until then, safe travels, and may you blessed with many frogs to kill." After he has gone, he turns to the others, "We need to learn what we can from the mayor and track the fiend behind this down. Anything capable of causing this much panic cannot be good."

jkason

First Post
Their party one person smaller, the group trudges the remainder of the way up the hill without trouble. The guards at the door remember you from last time, though at the sight of the lumpy cart, they seem a big flustered.

"You up an' went shoppin' or something?" one of them asks.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien waves a greeting and replies, "Definitely an 'or something', that's for sure. I have no idea where one would even be able to buy such as what we have here. Three silver coins and we'll let you have a close look."

She winks at them to show she is probably kidding, but she holds out a hand anyway.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +7 Perception: +11 (low-light vision)
AC: 20 (15 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 40 Current: 40
CMB: +6 CMD: 21(16ff) Fort: +5 Reflex: +9 Will: +4
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Arcane Strike (+1 Dmg), Resistance, Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]___________________________________________

LieraAvatar2.jpg
Tyrien e'Adrianne

Satin Knights

First Post
"Quit teasing the men." Kalgor stops on the porch and casts prestidigitation to clean most of the grime of the day off before entering. "Heey, mmeee tooo." "Sorry, distracted." As second casting cleans up the panther as well.

Kalgor marches into the mayor's office. "Alright. Step one is you get to provide some information. We need a few more pieces to this puzzle. Come on outside." Leading the mayor back out to the cart and pulling back the bedrolls to reveal the bodies. "So by chance do you know who these two men are? I mean the humans. The creepers there are just a couple of prisoners to interrogate later. They are likely not part of your biggest problem."

jkason

First Post
The guards seem confused by Tyrien's joke, one going so far as to turn his empty belt pouch inside out looking for a coin, when Kalgor stops the charade. After a quick magical cleaning, the summoner finds the mayor where he left him, conferring with two drenched Crows. As the party enters, he looks up expectantly, waving the guards off to continue attending to their duties.

He frowns at being lead outside, but doesn't manage to form a verbal response until Kalgor unveils the mutilated and bloodless bodies in the cart. Both door guards tense and reach for their weapons, and Yrehgg himself pales. The mayor has the presence of mind to signal that the guards keep their weapons sheathed, however.

Tentatively, the mayor approaches to get a better look through the downpour. After a moment, he takes a deep breath, pointing first to the hunchback, though he can't look long without averting his gaze:

"I believe this is ... er, was, Glem Baskerwhel," he says. "Heth probably has more hunchbacks than other nations, but Gaskerwhel had made a decent business as a potion-maker. Some kind of druid if I remember correctly."

"The one missing ...," The mayor has to take a moment and another deep breath before contining. "The other is Sulm Marshan. He caused some minor gossip when he moved into the abandoned house in the Sandal and started the renovations. I got the odd complaint about his reclusivity from some of the merchants. Poor soul, chose the wrong house to live in, I suppose."

He gestures to the tarp for the guards to pull it down again, which they do provided the party does not stop them. Relieved of the view, Yrehgg gains back some measure of his color. He looks back up to the party, once again composed.

"I take it from your comment on the small creatures there that you have learned more?" he seems eager to hear what that might be, but gestures back to the doorway. "If you'll allow my men to see to the bodies and prisoners, perhaps you can share? So far, I can only confirm that ... whatever it is indeed appears to be invisible. Other than that, well, you'll have seen the streets. My men have been at loose ends just trying to keep the city from falling into looting and rioting. Whatever you have to share, I'll be happy to pay you the information-gathering fee we agreed upon to hear it."

Satin Knights

First Post
"Okay, we can go back in out of this rain. Just a sec." Turning to the guards, "Those prisoners are dark creepers. They have the power to create magical darkness. They are also quite sneaky little fighters, so be careful. Keep them alive. They still need to be interrogated."

Turning back to the mayor and walking in with him, "I think when I am done with the tale, you will be tipping us a bit extra. Let's see. To start with, five people decided that they wanted massive amounts of dark powers. They formed a group, or coven if you will, and tried to summon forth a planar being using the magic of the old cults. These people were even bold enough, or foolish enough, to sign their names in the book that describes these ancient rituals.
Sulm Marshan...
Glem Baskerwhel...
Arlend Hyve...
and Rupman Myre are the four names that remain in the book. The fifth conspirator was at least smart enough to later rip his or her name out of the book. Now that we know two of these people are dead, probably from the thing they called forth, our job of stopping them is a little easier. I would suspect that it makes it much more difficult to repeat their summoning when they have only three. We still have to hunt these three fools down. And I won't be showing any pity or grief for Sulm or Glem. They death was their own doing."

"As if that was not enough, when we got down there, we found a ghoul munching on the body of Sulm. This was a more intelligent than normal ghoul. It was trying to learn the dark secrets of the book. We destroyed that ghoul. But, we have found that there is a large labyrinth of catacombs below the city. This ghoul has been raiding your graveyard for food from the bottom side. Here is a crude map of the catacombs. They opened up into one topside crypt, but I do not know exactly where." "Mee neeitherr."

Pulling out the ring, "Do you recognize this ring or the designs on it? It was worn by the ghoul. If you don't, we will need to stop by the Pearl to see who it was sold to last."

"Oh, on the way up here, we saw Rylidak and she took care of making sure that Sulm and Glem don't rise back up as ghouls."

"Then, while we were bringing out the bodies, three of those little dark creepers jumped us. We are not sure where they came from or why we did not find them while going in instead of coming out. I don't know if they are part of the grand plot against the city or not. So, we brought them up here for a bit of interrogation. If you have an expert in that, it would be appreciated. Subtle manipulation is not my style."

As to the beast, we didn't run into it. It will be nasty, but I am sure it can be killed.

"We need food and rest. The poison that one of the creepers used has made this an annoying day." Sitting down in the chair a bit exhausted, "So, what can you tell me about
Arlend Hyve and Rupman Myre?"

[sblock=ooc]Show/give the map to the mayor, but we are keeping the book out of sight in Anaerion's haversack unless the mayor absolutely insists on seeing it. He will want to shelve it where it can be stolen from him. So, we are keeping the powerful key with us.:eek: [/sblock]

jackslate45

First Post
"Whatever beast this it is, I am fairly confident it is not of this world. My suspicion lies with some sort of invisible planar monster. We will need to be at the top of our abilities to defeat this thing."

"However, we are in a race against time. The monster seems to grow stronger as he kills those responsible for summoning it, allowing it to remain in this world. From what I could understand from their ritual seems to suggest such a thing. The creature is not so much summoned here, like a creature from the planes, but called here. I would highly recommend evacuating the any areas tied to those people who are still alive. The monster may attack them soon. "

[sblock=OOC]
I will be updating Anaerion during the week. And I know Kalgor will be mad at Anaerion for not saying it earlier, but I blame work for that.
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
The guards nod solemnly as they take the bodies and prisoners into their care, and the party moves into the more comfortable indoors, where Kalgor relays his report. The mayor's color begins to drain again, and he falls into his chair at the mention of extraplanar interlopers. He sinks into his chair as the information pours forth.

"Rupman Myre?" he says. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. You mentioned a ghoul, yes? My Crows have been following rumors of Myre's involvement in illegal necromancy for a while now, but the man's got clout. He's one of our middenstone barons, owns a large vathouse along the riverbanks, and much as they might try, the Crows haven't been able to find enough evidence to manage an arrest.

"I suppose his name on this list probably confirms the whispers I've heard about Hyve, as well,"
the mayor continues, running his fingers through his hair in a gesture of concern. "Ostensibly, he's a regional historian, even keeps himself in an abandoned church on Maple Street, down on the southern slope. Says he's restoring a historic building, but the rumors there--less substantial than those on Myre--mention black market poison and a drug trade. You said those ... creeper things used poison, did you not?

"As I recall, too, Baskerwhel, the potion maker, used to stay with him when in town. Apparently they were brewing far worse than even the gossips knew."

On the subject of the tunnels, Yrehgg seems unsurprised. "Our city was built atop any number of others. I imagine the place might be honeycombed with deserted pathways of previous residents. But our Crows might find this useful; I don't know whose underground paths they know about and whose are still undiscovered."

The mayor looks at the ring, but its design is rather plain and nondescript. He shakes his head. "I've no real eye for jewelry, I'm afraid. It looks to be of good make, and your mention of the Pearl: I take it this is magical in some way? You're welcome to ask, and they may have records, but I'll tell you now, the Kopec, like most towns, holds little clout with the mysterious hub of the Pearl. They've been known to simply close their doors to those towns which refuse them their right of free, unencumbered trade."

The mayor shrugs on the interrogation of the creepers. "I like to think mine isn't the kind of town that is skilled in torture, if that's what you're implying. Heth suffers the rot of Xarr, but I have hope still that we might hold out against fully succumbing."

Yrehgg listens to Anaerion's warning, then glances back to where Kalgor has all but fallen into a chair. "Time or no, by the look of you, you're in no shape to face man or otherwordly beast tonight. We'll try to urge folk away from the vats and the church, but the city is a mess; I'm afraid I can make no promises.

"But I can fulfill the one I made you earlier today, however."
The mayor reaches into his desk and produces a hefty satchel, which he tosses to Ausk. "Your fee for information. I'll also arrange for lodgings for you. I've begun assembling what little we have in the way of magics that might aid you. It's not much: a few potions and scrolls, but from what you've told me of your encounters thus far, I think they might help."

The desperation in the mayor is clear at this point as he says, "I wish I could give you more aid, but the chaos visited on the citizens in the wake of this monstrosity ... I join you in wishing no good slumber to these men." The mayor's voice lowers a step, and there is a clear menace to Yrehgg as he finishes: "They deserve any justice you can deliver unto them."

[sblock=ooc]The satchel has the 1,000 gp agreed upon for information.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases