iron kingdoms?

darkbard

Legend
so, i've been toying with the idea of steampunk d&d for a while now and loved the first witchfire module [picked it up when it first came out but haven't dm'ed it yet]. plus, as far as production quality and artwork go, privateerpress are pretty much rivaled only by wotc. my question: what's it like to run the iron kingdoms as a setting? are you a dm or player who has fallen in love with the setting and are looking for a forum in which to lavish praise? this is it. rave on and on and tell me as much as you can about the iron kingdoms, its inhabitants, the feel of the setting, whathaveyou. oh, and if you've tried the iron kingdoms on for size and found them lacking, let me know why.

Crothian

First Post
I love the Monsternomicon. It's the single greatest monster book of d20. But that's the only thing I've read that is Iron Kingdoms. Based off of it I may check out some of their other stuff, but I've yet to see anything else by them at my FLGS.

darkbard

Legend
since their setting book is still forthcoming, i'm assuming that replies to this post will be based upon the monsternomicon and the witchfire trilogy. is there enough in these products to evoke a sense of the setting [i'm assuming so, since IK won the 2001 ENnie for best setting]? does the limited range of critters work with your sense of a [steampunk but still] d&d game [the listing of non-appropriate monsters on the privateerpress website excludes most of the monster manual]?

Crothian

First Post
Ther e is nothing limiting about the range of creatures. Plus, having fewer in number really makes a lot more sense then having 100 different tpyes of carnivorous creautes in a 10 mile area.

I haven't seen the witchfire trilogy, but the Monsternomicon really gives a sense of the setting becasue it tells you where the creatures are to be found.

Alright, as somebody that has DMed the witchfire series I have to say that they are hands down the most interesting and fun series of modules I've worked with in a long time. This one has it all, insane sorcess's, deranged wizards, undead armies, guns, cannons, political intrigue, evil cults, mix and serve with a side of magor religious event. :D

Seriously, these are some great adventures. Sure, privateer press may not be the most prolific publisher, but everything they produce has been top notch. With lock and load due out in the next month or so I'd say things are starting to look up for running an actual campaign in the Kingdoms.

The steam punk elements are something fresh and original in a full blown D&D campaign. They've mixed it in with standard magical elements very well. Heck, with a little DM tweeking I was able to run the witchfire trilogy in my realms campaign, steam punk and all. Haluraa never looked so good if you ask me. ;)

I'm really looking forward to thier next product since the tapestry the folks at privateer press have woven so far is rich, and with every release it just gets richer.

Fan boy mode off disengaged. :D

cofbaron

First Post
I'm in a game that's working it's way through the trilogy right now, and I've noticed a couple of "oddities" about them, one of which is due to the timing of publishing and other things. The stats for the Witchfire Sword weren't published until the 3rd module came out, and apparently this thing is heinously powerful. Watch out for the bit at the end of the first book where the 2nd-level PCs (recommended level as per the module) have a chance to pick up and swing around the sword that bestowed 6 negative levels on the lawful good character that tried to use it.

Player: So the sword is right there? Cool! I pick it up! What does it do?

DM: [flips through module] Umm... You don't die. But your hand hurts a lot.

Major DM override needed there.

Cecil

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Steampunk if you want to call it that, I think the words should be streamjack and think it works in any setting. Punk gives it a different spin.

The setting book is scheduled for January, so not that long away.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
From the Iron Kingdoms website,

The Iron Kingdoms won the 2001 ENnie Award for "Best Setting," and Privateer Press also picked up awards for Best Publisher, Best Cover Art and Best Interior art.

Hmm they win best setting award in 2001 for a book that now won't come out until 2003. Yet they still got Best Publisher as well, do all the best publishers have a two year delay?

Numion

First Post
Crothian said:
Ther e is nothing limiting about the range of creatures. Plus, having fewer in number really makes a lot more sense then having 100 different tpyes of carnivorous creautes in a 10 mile area.

You're right. I'd never want nonsense in my steampunk setting :rolleyes:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases