Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 18 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

'Magic' the 'Largest Game Brand'

It's somewhat tangential to RPG news, but has relevancy in that Magic: The Gathering is D&D publisher WotC's largest brand by far - and thus speaks to WotC's importance as a division of Hasbro, their RPG lines notwithstanding. ICv2 is reporting that M:tG is the largest game brand in the US.
    Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner told analysts in the company’s conference call this week that Magic: The Gathering is “…the largest game brand in the U.S.” (apparently excluding videogames from the comparison). And for the first time, a Hasbro exec has characterized the size of the brand, implying that it’s $200 million or more. In praising the Wizards of the Coast management team Goldner noted that the team had taken Magic, “which totaled less than $100 million in revenues in 2008 and was on the decline, to where it is today,… more than double the size it was just three years ago.”
    Last edited by Morrus; Wednesday, 8th February, 2012 at 08:53 PM.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

Ignore Gundark
    My communities:

I am wondering if has anything to do with the new D&D? Maybe with Magic doing so well they have eased off of D&D needing to be a 100 million dollar contender?

Or not...
    Follow me on Twitter @darryl4nderson.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore SnowleopardVK
    Whenever Magic does something new, all the shipments of D&D and Pathfinder stuff at my FLGS gets delayed by 2 weeks. Always 2 weeks exactly.

This news kind of helps explain why that happens. Still not happy about it though...

Scout (Lvl 6)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore William Ronald
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Gundark View Post
    I am wondering if has anything to do with the new D&D? Maybe with Magic doing so well they have eased off of D&D needing to be a 100 million dollar contender?

Or not...
    Possibly Hasbro might think that WotC could dramatically increase the value of the Dungeons and Dragon brand, and may try to include peripheral products -- board games, books, toys and other merchandise -- into their calculations for the potential size of the brand.
    What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding? -- Elvis Costello

Cooperative Dungeon 04 -- When Heroes Fall Story Hour

DMing Advice

Please visit my Maps and Other Campaign Resources thread and please feel free to contribute to it.

D&D Army signatory

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Relique du Madde
    My communities:

I think one reason for this is might be because the costs involved with the production of one Magic expansion could be insignificant compaired to the costs involved with the production on one run of DnD books. That and the very nature of collectable card games causes the players to buy multiple copies of a product (a booster or starter set) unlike DnD where each table can have as little of one copy of each book (if any).

-Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Relique du Madde; Thursday, 9th February, 2012 at 04:25 AM.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore GSHamster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundark View Post
    It's possible that WotC attributes the latest successes to a change in process, how they create Magic sets. They might be experimenting with applying the same processes to D&D.

If you look at some of the comments they've made about D&D Next, it's clear that they've formed into a Design team and a Development team, which is how Magic sets are created. As well, some people from the Magic side have moved to D&D.

Doubling the sales of Magic is a very impressive feat, especially when you consider that most CCGs are fads, and build to a peak before dying out. Maybe WotC thinks it can do the same with D&D.

Players Rights Advocate COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Hussar
    Didn't they always have a Design Team and a Development Team?
    The rules don't give the DM their authority. The consent of the players does. - Mallus

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore catsclaw227
    My communities:

My FLGS has weekly scheduled regular and junior Magic tournaments and they fill all the tables in their gaming room.

An awesome FLGS, for sure - they have regularly filled Board-Game nights, Tuesday and Wednesday Encounters, open RPG nights, Pathfinder Society, and I think Yu-Gi-Oh.

But the Magic evenings, when I have stumbled in to browse by accident, are PACKED. Young and Old.
    Game on, gang!
    Ptolus #15 (with customized, personalized sig from Monte.), Rappan Athuk Reloaded #37 (The Necromancer way.)

Current Campaign

Current Campaign: Currently running Deadlands for Savage Worlds. Also have a Slumbering Tsar 4e campaign that is taking a break, but we'll be starting that up again in the summer.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Nikosandros
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    Didn't they always have a Design Team and a Development Team?
    I'm positive that they had such an arrangement for producing 4e. I'm not sure if they had implemented this structure even earlier. The credits for the 3.5 PHB do not list a development team.
    Last edited by Nikosandros; Thursday, 9th February, 2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    'Can a magician kill a man by magic?' Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. 'I suppose a magician might,' he admitted, 'but a gentleman never could.'

Autoexreginated

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Henry
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Relique du Madde View Post
    I think one reason for this is might be because the costs involved with the production of one Magic expansion could be insignificant compaired to the costs involved with the production on one run of DnD books. That and the very nature of collectable card games causes the players to buy multiple copies of a product (a booster or starter set) unlike DnD where each table can have as little of one copy of each book (if any).

-Sent via Tapatalk
    The first statement would be pretty debatable, though -- You still have significant art costs, and the mechanical design work for a new MtG set is probably on par with the mechanical work for a D&D rules expansion, because they have to figure out not just new interesting mechanics for the expansion, but also account for how those rules work with previous releases, pretty same as for an RPG, but without the mitigating influence of a referee at said table. (Based on my experiences, D&D 'rules lawyers' have got NOTHING on MtG 'rules lawyers', especially because without a referee, breaking the game is pretty definitive.) So, while I'm guessing R&D for Magic is a hefty chunk of change, I'd agree with the second one -- I used to buy boxes and boxes of the same expansion in Magic, just to get 4-of-a-kind for every card as much as I could.

Fortunately, common sense and marriage finally burned out my Magic-insanity years ago.
    Robin Williams (1951-2014)
    You will be missed far more than you ever knew...

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast