The River - What did you think?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I imagine you hated Cloverfield too.

On so, so, SO many levels :D

I just finished watching Real Steel which is a movie that, on discovering the premise, I decided was so ridiculously stupid and inane that I'd only give it a chance if I got it ill... err... free. It does, however, prove a long-standing point of mine that is constantly derided, that being that formula, when done well, works.

catsclaw227

First Post
On so, so, SO many levels :D

I just finished watching Real Steel which is a movie that, on discovering the premise, I decided was so ridiculously stupid and inane that I'd only give it a chance if I got it ill... err... free. It does, however, prove a long-standing point of mine that is constantly derided, that being that formula, when done well, works.
I haven't watched Real Steel yet, though it might get a viewing this weekend. I'll let you know what I think. You may have lowered my expectations so low that it may even be entertaining.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I haven't watched Real Steel yet, though it might get a viewing this weekend. I'll let you know what I think. You may have lowered my expectations so low that it may even be entertaining.

It's well-made and in being well-made it can't help but hit the right notes despite the utter stupidity of the milieu within which the story finds itself. I am surprised that this movie wasn't squarely aimed at kids, though, as it seems specifically to be made for the pre-teen crowd. Maybe it was considered too violent?

GreenLantern

First Post
I have the River DVR'ed, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'm a big fan of Lost, so hopefully the River will have some of those water cooler discussion moments that Lost had in its heyday.

Krug

Newshound
I have the River DVR'ed, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'm a big fan of Lost, so hopefully the River will have some of those water cooler discussion moments that Lost had in its heyday.

Unfortunately I don't think it'll be popular enough, given the ratings..

Krug

Newshound
If it manages to get to a decent ending within 6-7 episodes instead, I am okay with that as well.

Judging by episode 2, there's going to be lots of episodes that don't really advance the main plot much. Not sure if it can sustain a series like this, that appears to be aiming for more horror rather than mystery. The characters and the tension between the group isn't as strong as in Lost either.

Villano

First Post
I was really looking forward to this series, but I had to turn off the pilot after the first hour. Like Kzach, I just couldn't take the camera work. I don't mind "found footage" style movies, but they usually stick to one or two cameras and the transitions aren't that frequent. Here, the filmmakers wanted to take advantage of dramatic cuts and camera angles, and that just doesn't work with the found footage idea.

Personally, I think they should have gone with a traditional series, with some cuts to the cameramen's POV and the original found footage for dramatic moments.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases