The River - What did you think?

catsclaw227

First Post
I was actually pleasantly surprised. I read all these pessimistic reviews and watched it with open eyes and I liked it. Yes, it has LOST-y stuff. I think the weird horror factor is OK, but some of the characters I liked. The cute, brazilian daughter of the ship mechanic was cool. And sorta sexy, too. (Easy everyone, she is almost 20yrs old in real life) I think the blonde girl has more secrets and Harry Dresden also has a creepy side to him as well.

OK, like LOST, everyone seems to have some secrets.

But the whole "is he trapped in another plane and can only communicate via the animals" thing is a neat angle.

I don't know, maybe I am easily pleased???

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Could not deal with the camera work and reality actting, aka: Blair Witch with some Ghost Hunters and some Finding Bigfoot production. :confused::(

Don't think I will be watching.

Krug

Newshound
It was ok but the blair witch runaround camerawork is kinda irritating. I also don't like sound cues in my found footage, which just dismisses the whole exercise.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'd give it a shot anyway. It wasn't that bad. I am going to watch some more and see if it starts to stick.

As much as I'd like to, I find that kind of camera style to be more than just irritating, I find it next to impossible to watch. I'm the type of viewer who generally allows myself to be hypnotised by the show. I say hypnotised because it's the closest thing I can think of to describe what happens; I want to be taken on a journey, to feel, and react. I switch off the analytical part of my brain and engage the emotional. It's often why I don't see plot elements that are 'obvious' to many, because I'm simply not thinking about the show on that level.

Or something like that.

That's where I get my enjoyment out of watching TV and movies. To be engaged at that level, suspension of disbelief is vital and this sort-of camera-work knocks me out of that state to the point where I'm then engaging the analytical part of my brain. And as seen many times here, that's not my good side :)

catsclaw227

First Post
That's where I get my enjoyment out of watching TV and movies. To be engaged at that level, suspension of disbelief is vital and this sort-of camera-work knocks me out of that state to the point where I'm then engaging the analytical part of my brain. And as seen many times here, that's not my good side :)
Ha! OK, my friend, I respect your awareness of what tweaks you. :)

It's still a decent show, though. I imagine you hated Cloverfield too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases