Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [IC 01]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"Come now, Turthain. You must have more faith in the Balance and the Cycle." Shiyana says to her naysaying companion. "Would you care to be shackled upon that block like so much raw meat?"

She stretches her neck to see if she can see whoever it was who opened the bid...and what kind of person they appear to be.

"Can it speak Common?" Shiyana shouts again to the barker. <OOC: Shiyana doesn't mean to be indelicate, but can she tell if this is a male troll or a female troll? If so, she will say "he" or "she" as appropriate instead of "it">

Rhun

First Post
"Not at all, Shiyana. And I would put a dagger through my captor's eye at the first opportunity." The elf chuckles. "Just as that troll is going to do to its buyer."

Leif

Adventurer
Crossing Slave Market Plaza to Wailing Street

"Another question from the dusky lady in the back? Criminy! I don't know that he speaks common all that much, but he understands a good crop in the noggin and a lash to the back! No, this is a laborer, dear lady, not a scholar and orator. The bid is 48 Gold Sovereigns now, and I trust there'll be no more interruptions unless you wish to bid, Lady? Will you say 49 Sovereigns? No? Then who will -- yes sir! 49 I have, 49, Who'll say 50..."

It's difficult to tell who is bidding. These auction-goers apparently have some sort of cryptic code to signal bids, and it's difficult to catch unless you happen to be looking at just the correct portion of the crowd at the precise moment a bid is made.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Strange, I think. A minute ago this auctioneer was practically begging for someone to bid on this... ah... troll? Now, it seems everyone and their brother is interested. Somehow, I think, Mistress Shiyana, if you win this bid you'll have been taken to the cleaners! And to what end? If you release this beast he'll likely fall to banditry. And then we'll be tasked to bring him to justice.

Sigh.

It's not that I disagree with your heart - I too find slavery abhorrent!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Shiyana sighs as she takes in the good cleric's words.

"I suppose you are correct, Brother Odo." she says lamentably. "And it is odd...How did the bid go from asking for 21 to 49?"

With a look full of sorrow at the troll on the block. She'll even mouth "I'm sorry" to him, in case he does speak.

She shoots the barker a dark scowl before turning to follow Camlin and the others on their way down Wailing Street.

Rhun

First Post
Turthain shrugs, and turns to follow. While he too personally found slavery to be abhorrent, the elf recognized that is was a way of life for many societies. Even in the so called "free kingdoms" the free serfs were not much better off than most slaves...and actually worse off than many.

Leif

Adventurer
Down Wailing Street to the Scribe's shop

The adventuers regretfully leave the trollish slave to his fate and proceed westward down wailing Street. Just a bit short of the Eastern end of the street you come to a smal, but well-built building with a sign showing a quill pen and a vial of ink.

Rhun

First Post
"Must be the place," mutter Turthain. The elf moves forward and opens the door, holding it open for his companions to enter.

Leif

Adventurer
In the Scribe's Shop

The first room of the scribe's shop looks as you expect: There is a long desk, with sheaves of parchment, many quills, and many, many bottles of inks of various colors. There is also a bookcase which holds many musty, dusty lexicons and various reference works. There is a bell on the desk, and a door at the back that leads further into the shop.

Last edited:

Imperialus

Explorer
The first room of the scribe's shop looks as you expect: There is a long desk, with sheaves of parchment, many quills, and many, many bottles of inks of various colors. There is also a bookcase which holds many musty, dusty lexicons and various reference works. There is a bell on the desk, and a door at the back that leads further into the shop.

Cam's eyes travel across the shelves of books and he shakes his head. Having grown up among druids following the bardic tradition it boggles his mind as to why anything important enough to be written down wouldn't just be memorized and passed down.

He reaches forward and rings the bell at the desk.

*ooc* Cam never really learned how to read. He can struggle his way through simple sentences, but the concept of reading a book is almost entirely foreign to him.

Remove ads