Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [IC 01]

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
"Yes, a few silver pieces should suffice. And the knowledge that the Light of Pholtus saved them this night is reward enough." Odo boasts! "Er, with great assistance, of coarse, from Cam and my woodland friends." He sheepishly adds after realizing his minimal contributions. "Are any of you wounded?"

OOC: Is this still the same day in which we fought the orcs?

Rhun

First Post
"No, but we may be before this night is over." Turthain moves to collect his arrows. "We should probably attempt to find the other ogres before they realize their companions are missing."[color]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Hearing Turthain to track down where the ogres came from, Shiyana agrees readily. She pockets the gems, the potion bottles and rings for future further examination.

She will point out that she would need some help with the rest of their loot.. <OOC: No way she can carry multiple thousands of coinage on her own. That's several hundred pounds, is it not? /ooc> adding, "Keep your eyes in your head, Turthain, it is still ours to split with Master Rathmore don't forget.'

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: Is this still the same day in which we fought the orcs?
OOC: Yes, for a bit longer, it's about 8 pm on the evening of the same day. It's been quite the momentous day for you lads, hasn't it? Maybe you really should think of camping here in the Grolls' farmyard and getting a fresh start tomorrow, with renewed vigor and replenished spells?

Rhun said:
OOC: Yep, in AD&D 10 coins = 1 pound. LOL.
OOC: That's the 'party line,' yes, but while we're house-ruling, that seems kinda crazy to me. Anybody else? I'm thinking more along the lines of 100 coins to the pound, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OOC: Yes, for a bit longer, it's about 8 pm on the evening of the same day. It's been quite the momentous day for you lads, hasn't it? Maybe you really should think of camping here in the Grolls' farmyard and getting a fresh start tomorrow, with renewed vigor and replenished spells?

This may prove wise. Anyone else? If we're going to go this route, Shiyana will try to discern anything she can about the potions, knowing it probably won't be much and hoping that Master Rathmore might be able to help them with identifying this kinda thing...assuming Turthain doesn't have the Identify spell.

She mulls over the ring with the blue stone in it and mentions offhandedly to whoever is listening, "Should I just try it on, you think? I'm not much for baubles of gold, but it does seem to have some kind of enchantment about it." <OOC: I assume this thought will be shot down by my companions. :-S But if it's not, sure, she'll try it on...just for a moment.>

OOC: That's the 'party line,' yes, but while we're house-ruling, that seems kinda crazy to me. Anybody else? I'm thinking more along the lines of 100 coins to the pound, what do you guys think?

Sounds perfectly well to me! I'd rather not have all of us bogged down with crazy encumbrances, trying to tote around our "findings." 100:1 seems more fair (least til we find a bag of holding or some such ;P )...Yeah, the original 10:1 always struck us all as "Jeez. Those're some bloody BIG coins." But then, ya figger, how much would 10 quarters weigh? Just one more of those kinda inexact abstractions that make AD&D so quirky and fun. :D 100:1 works fine for me.

So we need to split it up for everyone's adding...roughly...hang on....3800+1450= 5250 + 875= 6125 coins sooo....divided by 4 = 1531.something (PLEASE feel free to check my math!)

...so +15-ish lbs to their stuff/encumbrance. That sounds a loooooot better. Thanks, Leif.

--SD

Rhun

First Post

OOC: I'm totally behind this.

I actually use "real-worldish" weights for coins in my homebrew campaign setting (250 silver pennies to a pound of silver in my setting, which is about 1.8 grams per penny. Real world medieval silver pennies weighed between 1.5 and 1.9 grams).

Rhun

First Post
OOC: For comparison, our US Currency weighs in as follows:

Penny 2.500 g (~ 181 per pound)
Nickel 5.000 g (~ 90 per pound)
Dime 2.268 g (~ 200 per pound)
Quarter 5.670 g (~ 80 per pound)

Also, has anyone else had issues editing their posts lately? Every time I try to edit, the thinking icon just sits there and goes and goes and goes when I hit "save." It is really annoying.

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: No issues here, Rhun. We can say 200 coins per pound as easy as we can say 100/pond. Whatever. Anyway, we've beat this horse nigh unto death, and this is supposed to be the IC thread, so let's have any additional coinage discussion in the OOC, please?

IC: Shiyana tries on first one ring and then the other, and can tell no obvious difference with the red one. The blue one makes her feel all cozy and comfy. No one else notices her disappear or anything either.

Remove ads