AD&D 1st Edition Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [IC 01] - Page 36




What's on your mind?

  1. #351
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Rhun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    22,804

    ° Ignore Rhun
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    OOC: Sorry, Rhun, Odo killed the orc anyway, so I didn't adequately adjudicate Turthain's arrows -- my mistake. The 14 hit, so I have edited the previous post. The 13 is a miss.
    OOC: No worries. However, Turthain would probably have changed his target if the target was already dead.
    - Rhun

    For every one hundred men you send us, Ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine of them are real fighters; We are lucky to have them, they the battle make. Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior. And he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus of Ephesus, 500 BC

 

  • #352
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Rhun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    22,804

    ° Ignore Rhun
    My communities:

    Turthain continues to swear in elven as he sees the orcish archers begin to fire at them. He snaps his bow into position and launches a pair of arrows at the new targets. Unfortunately, he only scores a grazing hit on one of them.
    - Rhun

    For every one hundred men you send us, Ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine of them are real fighters; We are lucky to have them, they the battle make. Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior. And he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus of Ephesus, 500 BC

  • #353
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    ° Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    Cave of Orcs

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhun View Post
    OOC: No worries. However, Turthain would probably have changed his target if the target was already dead.
    OOC: The 13 was the first shot you mentioned in post #347, so I assumed the 14 was the follow-up. And missile fire is resolved before melee attacks, so despite what I may have said in my post, your arrow hit while he was still alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhun View Post
    Turthain continues to swear in elven as he sees the orcish archers begin to fire at them. He snaps his bow into position and launches a pair of arrows at the new targets. Unfortunately, he only scores a grazing hit on one of them.
    OOC: You have to tell me which one was hit, chief. You cannot fire one arrow at each, remember. In AD&D all attacks in a single round must be against the same opponent, unless you're part troll, demon, dragon or something. At least, that's the rule as I remember it, can anyone confirm or deny that? And, anyway, where you have two adjacent opponents subject to missile fire, I might be inclined to house rule this, if I'm asked....
    Last edited by Leif; Thursday, 7th June, 2012 at 03:58 AM.

  • #354
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Rhun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    22,804

    ° Ignore Rhun
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    OOC: The 13 was the first shot you mentioned in post #347, so I assumed the 14 was the follow-up. And missile fire is resolved before melee attacks, so despite what I may have said in my post, your arrow hit while he was still alive.
    As I said, no worries. Just seemed overkill, and a waste of damage, especially given that we are about to be overrun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    OOC: You have to tell me which one was hit, chief. You cannot fire one arrow at each, remember. In AD&D all attacks in a single round must be against the same opponent, unless you're part troll, demon, dragon or something. At least, that's the rule as I remember it, can anyone confirm or deny that? And, anyway, where you have two adjacent opponents subject to missile fire, I might be inclined to house rule this, if I'm asked....
    Let's go with O7, then, for no reason at all.

    And I cannot confirm or deny...and I'm too lazy to go looking for that information.
    - Rhun

    For every one hundred men you send us, Ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine of them are real fighters; We are lucky to have them, they the battle make. Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior. And he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus of Ephesus, 500 BC

  • #355
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Imperialus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,265

    ° Ignore Imperialus
    My communities:

    OOC Sorry for the delay, I thought we were waiting on the orcs....

    I don't even know how to continue to describe this comedy of errors.

  • #356
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    ° Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialus View Post
    I don't even know how to continue to describe this comedy of errors.
    [OOC: I hope you're not referring to me? If you are then I'm sorry, but I'm doing the best that I can. Still, I'll try to do better, just tell me where I need to improve more. ]

    The Orc fighting Camlin swings back at the Ranger, but misses. The two other Orcs take careful aim from their kneeling positions and both fire arrows at Cam. [OOC: Because they are firing into melee, they have an equal probability to hit either combatant, since Cam and the Orc are roughly the same size.] However, in the intricate dance that is melee combat, Cam and the Orc move around so much that when the arrow fired by Orc #6 arrives, it is the Orc combatant who is on the pointy, jagged end of the arrow! The Orc is slain, a victim of 'friendly fire!' The Orc archers look at each other and just shrug before they draw fresh arrows to fire again.


    [OOC: Any actions for Odo and Shiyana?]

    [OOC: Oh, and don't be overly upset by the 'comedy of errors' that is the series of misses by most everyone. AD&D 1E is very different inthat respect from later editions of the game. First level characters only have about a 20-25% chance to score a hit under ordinary circumstances. Don't worry, it will get better if you can give it a chance.]
    Last edited by Leif; Tuesday, 12th June, 2012 at 05:23 PM.

  • #357
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Imperialus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,265

    ° Ignore Imperialus
    My communities:

    Oh gosh no, I'm not upset, and I'm certainly not calling your DMing a comedy of errors. I was refering to Cam's inability to roll over a 3 for about 5 rounds in a row. I just had a mental image of Yackety Sax playing in the background as Cam and the orc chased each other around a tree.

  • #358
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    ° Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialus View Post
    Oh gosh no, I'm not upset, and I'm certainly not calling your DMing a comedy of errors. I was refering to Cam's inability to roll over a 3 for about 5 rounds in a row. I just had a mental image of Yackety Sax playing in the background as Cam and the orc chased each other around a tree.
    OOC: Don't look now but we have a fan of 'Benny Hill' amongst us!

  • #359
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Rhun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    22,804

    ° Ignore Rhun
    My communities:

    OOC: Seriously...our rolls all suck! LOL.
    - Rhun

    For every one hundred men you send us, Ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine of them are real fighters; We are lucky to have them, they the battle make. Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior. And he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus of Ephesus, 500 BC

  • #360
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,065
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    ° Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    OOC: steeldragons may post for Odo and Shiyana who have not yet acted for the round just ended. Then all heroes are up again, and the only foes left are the two Orc archers, unless Odo and/or Shiyana alter that, in which event, those Orcs will, in actuality, not shoot Cam's opponent, so he will be left fighting an injured Orc.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Leif's "Pomarj" Greyhawk Beta Game [AD&D 1E] [Rogues' Gallery]
      By Leif in forum Character Builds & Optimization
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: Sunday, 2nd June, 2013, 10:34 PM
    2. Replies: 260
      Last Post: Saturday, 1st June, 2013, 02:20 AM
    3. Replies: 84
      Last Post: Friday, 10th May, 2013, 10:00 AM
    4. Leif's "County of Urnst" Greyhawk Gamma Game [AD&D 1E] [ RG]
      By Leif in forum Character Builds & Optimization
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: Sunday, 14th April, 2013, 04:14 PM
    5. Replies: 10
      Last Post: Sunday, 5th August, 2012, 04:15 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •