Covers for the AD&D 1E Reprints

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I've already got mine on preorder. I figure it's a good way to support Gygax, reward corporate behavior I'd like to see more of... yada yada yada.

I have never played anything earlier that 3.X, but I have these on pre-order as well. Or at least now that I found a FLGS (as opposed to my first attempt, where the answer to "Can I pre-order these books" was "depends on your sex and age") that placed my pre-order I do.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I have never played anything earlier that 3.X, but I have these on pre-order as well. Or at least now that I found a FLGS (as opposed to my first attempt, where the answer to "Can I pre-order these books" was "depends on your sex and age") that placed my pre-order I do.

Depends on your sex and age? That sounds like an entertaining story.

Klaus

First Post
I've already got mine on preorder. I figure it's a good way to support Gygax, reward corporate behavior I'd like to see more of... yada yada yada.

These covers suck. they are lazy. 3rd edition beat the faux book cover to death and if they take that whole thing out to die somewhere in the desert I'd be okay with it.
As someone who recently bought an 83 World of Greyhawk box: that one had a "faux cover" as well, and one that jives quite well with these three.

Serendipity

Explorer
A hybrid of the first printing 1e books and the 3e covers? Eh, it's not too bad. It would look a lot better in real leather, but that would seriously drive up the price point. Still, going to replace my copy of the PH in April. :)

Number48

First Post
I wonder if they have the actual originals for the art? If these are scans from the printed cover, ugh. That alone would be a good reason to size down the art.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Depends on your sex and age? That sounds like an entertaining story.

According to some people who shop there regularly, your likelihood of getting a pre-order or other limited quantity item increases dramatically if you are female, and in your 20s. I have also heard rumors of a cleavage discount.

Me, being male and in my late 30s, got dismissed out of hand when I asked to pre-order, offering to pay the whole price up front.

JoeGKushner

First Post
According to some people who shop there regularly, your likelihood of getting a pre-order or other limited quantity item increases dramatically if you are female, and in your 20s. I have also heard rumors of a cleavage discount.

Me, being male and in my late 30s, got dismissed out of hand when I asked to pre-order, offering to pay the whole price up front.

I don't know if that's hilarious or terribly sad or both.

Warunsun

First Post
Woo-frakking-oot!
Release these babies to every store that will have them, forget exclusivity. Go for broke and watch the people lap these up.
Today I walked into my local brick and mortar store to place my pre-order for one set of these books. I brought a copy of the Retailer Solicitation PDF linked here at En World. My local retailer had heard of the product coming out and seen some order numbers but had never seen the solicitation sheet or had any real information on it. I gave them the PDF print out. The gal in charge told me that the store had planned on ordering only four copies of each book. Having received my pre-order by actually walking into the store and offering to pay for it didn't change that. They don't feel comfortable buying these books. The simple fact is that indeed you can buy any of these three books in reasonable condition on the Internet used for like $10 to $15 each. A new set of the reprints is going to cost me $121.74 or about 77 British pounds for you overseas folks. Money-wise it really isn't worth it.

I took a quick look and found a PHB listed as very good for $14, a MM listed as very good for $24, and a DMG listed as very good for $17. Also found each and every one of these books listed for as little as $10 each and as much as $100 each for suckers to buy. Since the new reprints costs 75% more than used authentic books in very good condition I am wondering how many brick and mortar stores will actually order a lot of them.

Remove ads