Leif's "Pomarj" Greyhawk Beta Game [AD&D 1E] [IC 01]

Insight

Adventurer
Seeing the fortified nature of this tower, Simon immediately goes to cover. "Watch out for archers atop the tower," he says.

From his new position, Simon carefully observes the top of the tower, searching for bows or helmets peeking out from behind the crennelations.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
After a bit more travel, Simon leads the party within sight of the tower. The large doors in the south wall are made of very rough-cut timber and strongly bound with wide, heavy bands of black metal at bottom, middle, and top. There are no windows visible on the ground floor of the structure. The tower extends upward roughly 50 feet, the tops of the walls are battlemented, and the battlements extend outward from the walls by two feet. There are arrow slits in the tower roughly 20 feet above ground level, one arrow slit every 10 feet.

Raggs has been silently playing around with the pewter dagger sheathe he "collected" from the orc's corpse. If one of his daggers (either the obvious one on his belt or the "concealed" one on the back of his belt, he'll stash his old one and use the pewter one.

Other than that, Raggs gives the tower a thorough once over, from their position. Any noticeable movement in the arrow slits or on the battlements?

Just for sneeze n' giggles, Hear Noise check for the surrounding area. (I assume they are keeping themselves relatively concealed at the moment and not just waltzing up to the tower doors. he'll check again if/when they actually go to the doors) Does Raggs hear anything in the surrounding area?

<OOC: mmmm...yeeeeah. 90. hm. LOL. Raggs thinks he hears voices...of his dead grandparents...in his head. lol. Or however you want to color it, Leif. I'll play along with whatever the "story" is. In true Raggs' fashion he, quite obviously, fails spectacularly. Though, naturally, with something like Hear Noise, he/we wouldn't know that. :D>

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Towards the Tower

Seeing the fortified nature of this tower, Simon immediately goes to cover. "Watch out for archers atop the tower," he says.

From his new position, Simon carefully observes the top of the tower, searching for bows or helmets peeking out from behind the crennelations.
[sblock=vocabulary]
"Crenellation" is the overall pattern of merlons and embrasures along of the top of a fortified wall. "Merlons" are the 'teeth' of the crenellation. "Embrasures" are the spaces between the 'teeth.' Sorry, I just looked all this up on wikipedia yesterday, and I have to show off.
[/sblock]
Simon sees no archers at first. But then, after he moves to cover, he does hear a faint 'clink' of metal on stone and then sees the nasal point of a frog-mouth helm and the edge of a black pauldron just peeking from an embrasure on the left side of the front parapet of the tower.

steeldragons said:
Raggs has been silently playing around with the pewter dagger sheathe he "collected" from the orc's corpse. If one of his daggers (either the obvious one on his belt or the "concealed" one on the back of his belt) [fits], he'll stash his old one and use the pewter one.
Both daggers fit into the sheath. Raggs hears only typical 'forest sounds' at first, but then is quite certain that he heard a woodpecker say, 'Hello, Raggs,' with the voice of his grandmother.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Raggs will put his noticeable hip dagger in the pweter. He things it looks fetching.

To the woodpecker, his green eyes bulge wide and he leans in her direction. "Nahnee?! What...How...Who did this to you?!" he says in complete surprise.

I wonder if the old tower was a place of residence of a powerful mage in the far past or a Ranger’s outpost tower before the great wars.
Iono says as he scans the tower.
A band of Orcs must have been took a hold of it as a lair from where they go out and pillage the surrounding land. I wonder how much horde they gathered so far and who is their great leader? Could be the Orc from the tavern?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
[After wreaking havok over in Leif's Alpha game, Raggs returns to where he belongs...lol. Sorry again, Leif.]

-----------------------------

OOC: Hmmm. Ok.

I dunno what kind of "cover" there is leading up to the tower doors. But how about Raggs tries to sneak up to the tower and take a listen at the doors?..and/or determine if they're open/can be opened from the outside (I'm guessing not).

We'r not gonna learn anything new sitting here looking at it, it seems.

Or we can all just walk up to the door en masse.

Lemme know how you all want to proceed and Lief can tell me (or any of us) what, if any, rolls he needs.

Leif

Adventurer
Towards the Tower

There's not a great deal of cover near the tower, the trees appear to have been cleared back about some 50 yards or so, sometime in the past. But, it was in the past, and the forest has encroached some on the 'hole' around the tower. There is some tall grass (easily as tall as Raggs) growing up to a distance of 30 feet from the tower, and there are a couple of bushes of fairly good size even closer than that. Raggs judges that he's only going to have a serious problem traversing the last 15-20 feet to the tower.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases