Leif's "Pomarj" Greyhawk Beta Game [AD&D 1E] [IC 01]

"I am willing to trade Detect Magic, Identify, and Light for the spell you offer. Sleep and Shield I will provide for a fee of 250 gp each.

Agreed Warlock, but I will have enough coins for one spell so I'll copy the spell that put enemies to deep slumber.
Iono replies and takes out his heavy book from his backpack.
Let's find a seat and discuss some arcane business.

Leif

Adventurer
Warlock Abouchard Vertimis

The Warlock motions Iono over to a cluttered table near the hearth of his rude hut, brushes a great pile of papers into the floor making ample room, and lights a candle with a still-smoldering ember from last night's fire. "Sit here, if you please, Prestidigtator, and be enlightened by my wise instruction."

[Iono's level-up training proceeds apace from here. You may add the bargained for spells to his book, plus one gained for his new level.]

OOC: Weird, I don't see my new post and Leif's reply in the thread but I do see them when I write a reply. :erm:

OOC: OK, now I see.

OOC: BTW Leif. I missed it by on Iono's character sheet I already have the following: Read Magic, Magic Missile, Shield, Identify.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Wonkinesses

OOC: There are indeed a few shenanigans going on with the board that are WONKY, to say the least! But if you move slowly and carefully, and RELOAD/REFRESH pages frequently, much of it can be worked around. Almost all of it, in fact.

To be sure that there's no mis-communication, Strahd, Warlock Abouchard Vertimis is willing to allow you to copy Sleep into your spellbook for 250 gp as part of your training for second level, provided that you allow him to copy Magic Missile from your spellbook. The catch is that Iono must choose whether to have Abouchard Vertimis teach him the Sleep spell as part of his training for second level, in which case he automatically understands it, or whether Iono wishes to copy Sleep in addition to the spell that he gains as part of his training for second level, in which case, he will gain another, random spell with automatic understanding, and he will then have Sleep also added to his spellbook, but he will have to make a check to see if he fully understands it. If Iono fails that check, he may try again when he achieves 3rd level, and 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. if need be. He may also try again any time that he gains a point of intelligence whether his level increases or not.

This may or may not be exactly by the book, but it's the way I've always done things, it makes sense to my twisted brain, and I am comfortable with it. I believe my method to be at least as generous as the "Rules as Written," but I am always prepared to entertain differing opinions. Strahd, if you feel that my ruling is unfair to Iono in any way, let me know how it is unfair in your estimation, and we'll see what can be done to fix it.

Warlock Abouchard Vertimis has just now made a fresh pot of 'tea' brewed from sassafrass, ginger root, mandrake root, rhubarb, and a touch of licorice root to add a bit of 'bite' to it. He pours up a generous portion for Iono, and it is quite good.

Last edited:

Lynda Lawless

First Post
With her thoughts dwelling on the injuries suffered during her journey thus far, Amaya is finding it increasingly difficult to stay alert to the conversations taking place around her by her fighting/traveling companions. She knows that the only way she is to stay alive is to seek training from the best known defensive fighter known......and if the tales she heard at her father's knee are true, the old battle warrior is living very nearby. Legend says, asbest she can recall, that he once took on 20 Orcs and barely survived, using the last of his energy to crawl to a mountain top where he now lives a solitary life, answering to no man or power.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: Weirdness abounds in this thread today and yesterday. :-S

If you do a "Quick Reply," it may or may not really show up, but if you "Go Advanced" it will show up every time as near as I can tell.

OOC: I'm paying for the sleep spell and copy it. I chose to study Enlarge as a free 2nd level spell and took the Detect Magic and Light for the Magic missle I know. Just tell me what I need to throw and I'll do it.
Since he agreed to give me identify as well but I already have it in my book, maybe he can share a potion? :p

Leif

Adventurer
Warlock Abouchard Vertimis

Vertimis will help you with Light and Detect Magic so on a roll of 85% or less you learn them. He is a bit jealous of Sleep, however, so while he says he is helping you, some of his instructions seem to be contradictory and confused. However, since you did pay for the privilege, he will help Iono to understand the spell in the end. He can't help but feel, though, that Vertimis made it seem about three times as difficult as it needed to be.

Last edited:

Remove ads