Skyrim: the challenge is in what role you play.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I've come to the conclusion, after levelling several characters to the mid 30's, that the primary challenge setting of the game is NOT in the difficulty slider but in the roles you choose to play.

By this I mean mage, thief or warrior.

I thought this was an interesting discussion point but wasn't sure it was 'gamey' enough to be in one of the RPG forums.

IMO, the easiest (by a large margin), character style to play is the archer-thief. Aiming takes a bit of practice but between Pickpocketing, Stealth & Archery, you're essentially guaranteed LOTS of gold, easy kills, and almost never having to face an enemy in melee. By 47th-level my khajit archer-thief had 100 in Archery, Stealth, Pickpocketing, Lockpicking and Speech, could kill 90% of monsters with one arrow, had the best gear he was ever going to get, and had 300k gold and nothing to spend it on. I stopped playing it for two reasons: 1) there was a massive bug that prevented me from completing the thieve's guild quest line, and 2) it just got boring.

The second easiest has to be the two-hander, heavy armour warrior. Two hitting a dragon and coming out barely scratched is pretty much par for the course. Money is tighter, but with Smithing you're not really ever wanting for better gear anyway. And even though the swings are slow, they're also very wide arcing, allowing for gross inaccuracy on the player's part whilst still tearing through multiple foes and barely getting dinged in the process. Magic is their one weakness but since you can one-shot any uppity mage that dares fireball you (and survive the fireballs since you're pumping health anyway), the only issue is closing the distance to them.

Then there's the mage. Their damage has awful scaling so for some levels you massacre everything in sight and then others you're running out of mana whilst hitting things with your biggest damage spells and they're still coming at you. The mage requires a LOT of thought and a LOT of spell-switching, running, strategic targeting and strategic spell selection. And then you have to aim the damn spells accurately at targets that can predictively dodge your spells. Ironically, other mages are your biggest weakness because they can block all your damage whilst still damaging you and they have infinite magicka.

Now I realise that there are different builds like the battle-mage or the spell-sword or the assassin, etc. and that these change the above landscape, ie. an assassin (always stealth attacks with daggers) is on the surface thief build but is even more difficult to play well than the mage, but at it's core the system seems to be built around in inherent difficulty that heavily favours the thief class. Not that I'm complaining, I love rogues.

Janx

Hero
You assessment sounds about right.

It's not just something built into the game, though. I see real-world logic to the situation.

it IS inherently safer to strike your opponents from behind and snipe them from afar.

It is more dangerous to confront them openly.

Even more so, to wear no armor while doing so, trying to mumble some words before zapping them.

Agamon

Adventurer
The scaling with the mage may have to do with resistances. None of the monsters have resistance to arrow-to-gut or sword-upside-head. So yeah, figuring out which poison to use, spell to use, etc. It can get complicated quick, I'm sure. My next playthrough is going to be a wizard, looking forward to the challenge.

Banshee16

First Post
Next playthrough? Are people racing through this game? I've been playing in my small amount of free time since November, I've put about 100 hours into it, and am still on my first character (lvl 35 Nord spellsword). Now, I'm doing every sidequest I come across, and only just met the greybeards sitting on top of the mountain this week.

But this is one LONGGGGGG game. I don't mind it, actually. I'm just questing away, and enjoying the pure fun of seeing what's beyond the next horizon, etc. I don't have a real timetable in mind.

I've heard mention about advancement bonuses stopping at lvl 46 or 47, and I'm not sure what that means. Is that just meaning that the types of equipment you can get stops advancing at that point? Because my understanding is that you can level up to.....lvl 81 I believe?

I've been putting 50% of my advances into magic, 25% into health and 25% into stamina. My perks have been going into one-handed, shield, archery, heavy armor, destruction, alteration, restoration, and conjuration, with a small number going into enchantment, pick locks (there doesn't seem to be a spell to open locks), and smithing.

Banshee

Agamon

Adventurer
Yeah, almost 150 hours to get to L50. Saved some of the questlines for another play though. But I'm planning on playing ME3, Fallout NV, Alan Wake, Bastion and perhaps Kingdoms of Amalur before going in again. The DLC should be out by then, too.

frankthedm

First Post
Ironically, other mages are your biggest weakness because they can block all your damage whilst still damaging you and they have infinite magicka.
Their level scaled HP means you have to dual cast to deal appreciable damage and that means you can't also have a ward up at the same time. Definitely playing a Breton next caster I make.

Overall I'd say the biggest failing with Destruction was that gear that boosts it reduces the costs, but leaves the damage alone. Casting nuke spells for no mana cost means very little since mana potions are not expensive and the refill is instantaneous. Plus as a caster you probably already HAD your magica through the roof so now that MP pool is a lot less useful. I'd rather pay for spells that deal worthwhile damage.

frankthedm

First Post
Next playthrough? Are people racing through this game?
There is so much in the game that making new characters to run the other quests is more fun than sticking with the same character for everything.

1st Mage guild, storm cloaks, Main quest.

2nd Assassins

3rd Thieves

4th Imperial Legion & Companions

Krug

Newshound
Played through it once through with a Lizardman heavy armor warrior. Would like to go try the other classes but the combat system isn't too enticing. Still, it's not too bad a game. I did find some annoying bugs, but nothing that diminishes the gameplay too much.

frankthedm

First Post
I've heard mention about advancement bonuses stopping at lvl 46 or 47, and I'm not sure what that means. Is that just meaning that the types of equipment you can get stops advancing at that point? Because my understanding is that you can level up to.....lvl 81 I believe?
Well. leveling progress slows down and you will probably have to start building skills you were not planning to with the character. Like when i took my armored blaster mage and started dual wielding to raise one handed, and promptly found out how much better damage output that had over Destruction magic around character level 40+ :.-(

Maximum Level
At higher levels, leveling up happens much more slowly, however there is no discrete change upon reaching level 50. Level increases in Skyrim follow a formula (detailed above in the Gaining Levels section). The maximum level is level 81 and is reached by increasing all skills to 100. With every skill mastered, the level progress meter will rest a little over halfway to '82', meaning it is not necessary to master every skill to achieve Level 81.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Oh if only there was a character that could do respec for perks. I don't think I have the energy to replay Skyrim again or go through the main questline...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases