Pre-Release Review of Heroes of the Elemental Chaos by Wizards of the Coast

Great review but I would offer one nitpick.

Orcs were originally chaotic evil. They only became LE with the AD&D Monster Manual but they were chaotic evil before that. Emphasising the CHAOTIC side of their alignment is actually a nod to us old timers.... ;)

Neuroglyph

First Post
Orcs were chaotic evil in Holmes Basic which predates the AD&D1E Monster Manual.

Honestly folks, this orc alignment issue is WAY off topic regarding the review. I think that we can all agree that depending on your early D&D experiences, orcs were either chaotic or lawful, and which came first is frankly irrelevant to the argument at hand.

Again, my point of mentioning them in the review is that those of use "old-timers" who remember them as lawful probably don't see them as all that likely as being tied into the Elemental Chaos. And for those gamers who experienced chaotic orcs in their early D&D experiences, I don't think that there's a past tradition that ties orcs to elemental forces or primordials. Linking all orcs and half-orcs to elementals is a completely new comcept, and comes across, to this reviewer, as a pretty oddball idea.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases