Limited Resting and the Hour Long Rest

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
One of the possible playtest leaks mentioned characters getting two ten minute and one hour long rest per day. I'm not writing to comment on that directly, but to consider the plausibility and usefulness of a limited rest option that is an hour long.

An hour is a significant period of time. Stopping for an hour isn't easy to do in many situations. At the same time, it's far less of a break than the fabled 15 minute work day.

By attaching resource recovery to it, you create something between daily and encounter powers. Vancian spells are no longer quite so finite, so you can afford to use a big spell when an opportunity arises, but they're still limited enough that you won't blow your best stuff in the first fight. I like this quite a bit.

I can imagine a small amount of healing during that time. Hit points represent more than damage, but also stamina and focus. An hour rest lets you see to your wounds and removes some fatigue, at least in the action hero sense. In reality, the cuts and bruising and muscle aches would make movement more painful, but the game ignores that level of detail.

Limiting Breaks with Meals

So, why can't a character just take an hour long break whenever they want? By itself, it doesn't make sense. But if we attach it to eating, perhaps it can. If benefiting from an hour rest requires consuming a sizable meal, then a character can really only do that a few times per day, and those occasions have to be at least a few hours apart. It wouldn't be impractical to limit these meals breaks to twice per day, assuming breakfast is required after sleeping.

This opens up a number of options. Some foods can contain special properties. It's easy to imagine magic that works best when applied slowly through digestion. A cleric might be able to bless a meal or drink to help you heal. Wizards might have developed a seasoning that helps clear the mind of trace arcane energy, allowing a few spells to be prepared without sleep.

The concept seems like it would be easy to weave into the narrative while providing a framework for a wide variety of resource management. But it's early, so I may be missing complications. Thoughts?

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Heh, more and more, I think a significant but small portion of 5E will be a cleaned up and streamlined Dragon Quest. This is conceptually straight out of DQ. :D

tlantl

First Post
I like the healing property being added to a meal or drink. Sort of like the hero's feast spell but weaker.

I could see a lot of grumbling from the heal bots crowd though. Although it isn't actual heal spells being used they will equate it to their clerics being forced to use their spells to heal rather than for fun.

I say make all cleric spells function as curing, strengthening, and supporting the group rather than any being designed for combat. ...er sorry got distracted.

As for the resting thing being used for regaining spells, I'm not too keen on it. I see the potential for more whining that the caster is too powerful, needs gimping, turns the rest of the party into second class citizens, etc. while at the same time bemoaning the fact that they are out of spells. (although I have never actually seen this happen out side of the internet).

LostSoul

Adventurer
So, why can't a character just take an hour long break whenever they want? By itself, it doesn't make sense.

Huh? You can take an hour long break whenever you want (barring goblins stabbing you in the face). Diminishing returns, though. You only get something back from the first rest you take.

That makes perfect sense to me. You go for a run, get tired, rest an hour. Go for another run, get tired. Even if you rest for an hour, you'll still be wiped out. What you need is a good night's sleep. (Assuming the run is draining enough to sap "1/2 of your HP," of course.)

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Huh? You can take an hour long break whenever you want (barring goblins stabbing you in the face). Diminishing returns, though. You only get something back from the first rest you take.

That makes perfect sense to me. You go for a run, get tired, rest an hour. Go for another run, get tired. Even if you rest for an hour, you'll still be wiped out. What you need is a good night's sleep. (Assuming the run is draining enough to sap "1/2 of your HP," of course.)

On reflection, I can mostly agree with that, though it isn't intuitive. I don't find it as evocative as tying rests to meals, though.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I've already nicknamed the shorter rests "two 10-min union breaks and an hour lunch". ;)

Some union. What's the dues?

Anyway I like 4e milestone to be the rest resource.

You get one 8 hour rest per 24 hours. An 8 hour rest restores all spell slots and X% of hit points.

After x moderate encounters, the party earn a milestone. During a short rest of at least y minutes, a character can spend milestones to regain X%HP, regain Y spells, restore Z bard songs, regain Q usage of rage, etc

kitsune9

Adventurer
Yeah, the 15 minute workday was always something of a burr to me, but I never dealt with it because it happened in all the editions in that it's just something I've accepted similarly to just accepting hp without putting any logic to it. It's just always been that way.

Anyhow, I would like to see some future systems designed to eliminate the 15 min workday, but I still would like the necessitation of proper resource management. It's a juggle, that's for sure.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I like this rest mechanic and how it ties quite obviously to meals.

I'd like to talk about "healing", too. Healing is usually defined as "an increase in HP" even when (story wise) that increase does not imply "healing" (Warlords, some psychic damages, etc)

I'd like to propose using the term "healing" as a HP increase TYPE (much like fire or psychic are damage types - what with "damage" meaning a drop in HP, even if no injury is involved)

So a cleric could "heal", as could rests (at least extended ones) but the Warlord (who some have a problem with healing by shouting at you) could offer "boosts" to hit points (or some better word I can't think of).

For simulation sake, it could easily be ruled that "boosts" can't bring you up from zero, while "healing" can, but perhaps "boosts" could take you above your maximum HP, or just generally give more HP, to balance.

Any thoughts?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases