Broken NDAs or Elaborate Trolls?

Ichneumon

First Post
This leak seems more plausible than the other one, if only because NDAnon knows one end of a keyboard from the other.

I wonder whether "earn your rest" will become a mantra. Ten minutes is a nontrivial time in a hostile dungeon, especially when a fight has just taken place. Resting could mean taking a calculated risk, or finding a defensible location. Which would raise the tension higher than the standard 4e practice of "you get 5 min rest guaranteed after a fight, unless your DM's feeling mean."

Gundark

Explorer
Well I didn't hate everything I read. If true and I mean if , 5e doesn't sound too terrible. The opposed roll thing has me divided, but could be house ruled easily if it becomes too cumbersome . The rest thing, well I am hoping this gets play tested in something a bit more functional.

Interested in seeing if this is real or not.

FireLance

Legend
Criticals were 4e/3e hybrids; roll a 20, do max damage AND roll to confirm. On a success, extra damage equal to your class' HD; rogue 1d6, fighter 1d10, etc.
This, if true, is actually a pretty neat mechanic. It rewards a natural 20, but also gives an additional advantage for greater skill. I like it.

Raith5

Adventurer
This, if true, is actually a pretty neat mechanic. It rewards a natural 20, but also gives an additional advantage for greater skill. I like it.

I agree (if true). It makes far more sense for this to be related to your combat skill than how many your pluses your magic item has (as per 4th). The confirm roll is something from 3rd I like to see reinvented.

But I also like the fact in 4th ed that spells can crit. So I am less impressed if this means that spellcasters cant crit. If a FTR gets 1d10 extra for a melee crit, then I like to see a WIZ get the same for a spell that does damage.

S

Sunseeker

Looks legit, thanks. It also sounds like the opposed rolls is there. I'm mixed on this; on one hand, it doubles the number of rolls, on the other it adds a dynamic quality. I'm thinking it should be option and depend upon the group - either they choose "static defenses" - and it is 10 + modifier or they choose "dynamic defenses" and it is d20 + modifier. For most combats a group might want to use static defenses, whereas for major combats - or against singular, big bad guys - dynamic defenses would be good. Just a thought.

Not sure I like this - it sounds very awkward and another thing to have to keep track of.

Bah humbug on both counts. I don't mind a fixed value for 5-min breaks, but adding a 1-hour break? That's just awkward, and you can get 1/2 your HP in a 1-hour break, but only 1/2 your HP in an 8-hour rest? Confusing plz. If this rule sticks, I'm certainly not running with that at my table. 8 hour rest, full HP? Great. Less for everyone to track.

Also, opposed rolls, I understand that people like rolling dice, but really I think we're starting to push it. I need to be able to role play and roll play. If my time if filled up with rolling a dozen different saves, bah.

"Oh, while I'm thinking about it... HP is set by your Con SCORE, but it was also heavily implied every class had an actual hit die for future levels. Criticals were 4e/3e hybrids; roll a 20, do max damage AND roll to confirm. On a success, extra damage equal to your class' HD; rogue 1d6, fighter 1d10, etc."

This stinks of trying to reinvent the wheel and make the same tire fit on two different wheels. So...crit's are basically pointless with casters w/low HD... I straight up don't like rolling to confirm, never have, but I can live with it. But I'd rather see crits based on weapons rather than class HD, I mean if we're going back to 3e multiclassing, WHICH class HD to I use? Sounds like unnecessary complications.

New monetary standard? I play politics all day long, does it really matter? I'll pay my party in fluffy bunnies and add a zero if I want to stick with the more attractive "gold" over silver. And "electrum"? I get that this is a fantasy game but that's still a weird form of currency. Not that it matters.
1/10/100 copper, silver, gold. Works great. If players really need more I'll invent bank notes.

------

I dunno, lot of what I'm hearing here sounds like change for the sake of being "different", not necessarily better. And really what's the point if it's not improved?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases