Broken NDAs or Elaborate Trolls?

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
My son is 2 years old.

Quick everyone rush to make judgements on his skin tone, full name, social security number, hair color, favorite toys and vocabulary. Oh don't forget to add in whether or not he will grow up to be an unemployed deadbeat or a general in the armed services.

Guys...Gals...this leak isn't even from a BETA.

We can classify this as something more like a Delta or Gamma test (HULK smash). NO reason to begin celebratory nude parading through the streets -or- warring with one another and forum-crapping everywhere just because a 2 to 4hr gamma test of D&D Next from DDXP has some things you like/dislike/love/loathe in it.

The final result of D&D 5th edition will be WAY more enjoyable, polarizing and/or offensive. But let's save all that reactionary knee jerk energy until we at least get some legitimate leaks of a near finished product.

We don't even have a house to blow down yet...it's still blue prints. Also I love you all let's have pie or cake.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I am not going to debate HP, damage and healing surges with you. We've had countless threads on the subject in the general forum and I have expressed my opinions there. Right not it is sufficient to say, i think 5e will fit my preference more if they go to hp and healing from previous editions like 2e.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I wasn't looking for a debate.

You were perfectly within your rights to say "No, I don't think it's less believable that a guy can take more shots to the face with an axe. I think it's less believable that a guy could yell him awake afterward."

And I would have said "Fair enough."

I wasn't here for those debates, so I don't know what you said there, but here you said you were looking for "realism in healing" and I was wondering what you meant by that.

BryonD

Hero
Considering that D&D is a game, I like the gamey and dissociated stuff if it helps me play the style I want. Thats why I'd rather have two (or more) healing systems and you can pick the one you want and ignore the other one. Some people don't want Warlords and thats cool. Some people like me, don't want a week of bedrest between encounters.
I respect your preference.

But I read this and my gut reaction is a bit on the negative side. There are all kinds of "games" out there. RPGs are capable of really transcending beyond simply being games.

BryonD

Hero
This.

Let's not pretend that the problem of critting impossible-to-hit enemies wasn't already solved. It was. 4e dealt with it, and it works great.

Except that in 4E "the math worked" so the wizard 1/2 level + Int + bonuses was close to the same as the fighters 1/2 level + Str + bonuses and the defenses they were aiming at were very frequently in the same range.

So the solution proposed here was nearly always irrelevant and other issues (such as but not limited to: anything that automatically happens 5% of the time is limited in just how cool and special it can be) remain.

DonTadow

First Post
On the contrary, confirmations added to the fun. They helped the more skilled combatant, they kept crits from happening way too often (seriously, 5% means they happen every few times around the table), and kept the fight in the characters' favor.

Without confirmations, I don't want crits at all. They just are some wholly random event, making a fight like a game of Candyland: who rolled/drew best, not who had the most skill or the most clever plan.

YOu're rolling a d20, there's no way you're going to get away from random. Rolling to confirm a crit ruins the excitement of rolling the 20 and doesnt add your "skill" in any way, other than your skill at rolling a d20 again? If you were concerned about having a skill dictate it, then there'd be some type of knowledge roll. Maybe a knowledge roll at the beginning of a combat with a failure meaning that all crits are just normal rolls. That would show skill.

Rolling an extra dice just wastes time at the table.

variant

Adventurer
Honestly, I couldn't stand 4e and I am glad they are moving back to 3e as its base. Maybe I will actually play 5e.

Yay, the D&D magic system returns. I like the proposed resting options, the concept of healing surges was pretty bad. I also like the idea of having a save for each stat.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases