ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG - a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG - a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone

Hello all! I am unsure if this is the correct forum to post this or not, but I'm looking to do a bit of self-promotion.

I've been running a tabletop game set in my homebrewed world for a good 15 years at this point. About five years ago, we adopted the Warhammer 1st edition tabletop system to replace the various editions of D&D I've had to houserule to heck. While we didn't use the Warhammer world, I loved the ruleset. It well-suited the early modern world approach I've used in my game; dark, dangerous, gritty, low magic, highly political and clearly inspired by a Lovecraftian approach to sorcery.

A year or so back, I began to scribble my house rules into PDF format using Pages for Mac to distribute to my players. We'd already been using a wiki to catalogue everything, and it only seemed a good, natural extension once a few players began to bring iPads to the game. Soon thereafter, these handouts began to explode into a generic RPG rule set that mimicked many of the WFRPG and Warhammer 40k rules, but reinvented them with a lot of new ideas. In November, I found myself virtually rewriting the entire game mechanics, starting with the math. We'd essentially been play testing all of my ideas for a good year or so. I knew it was time to do something with all of this creative energy I've had...

A few conversations latter with an IP attorney, a Facebook chat conversation with Chris Pramas and my gaming group, I decided to put this huge thing to print for self-publishing. I'm a good month away from finishing my second draft, but have been releasing copious amounts of information over at Strike to Stun: Strike to Stun Forums: WFRP at its best :: View topic - A preview of ZWEIHÄNDER, a grim and perilous universal RPG.

For those who are art nuts, I believe you're going to LOVE the cover - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34934670/zweihander.jpg.

I'd love to field any questions about the system, and get some ideas from posters here about what they loved and hated about WFRPG's rule set, and any additional things that you may have found to be lacking or missing all together from WFRPG.

Best,
Daniel

Last edited:

Looking forward to checking this out, going to have a look through the S2Stun forums now.

Good luck :)

EDIT: for us not in the loop what is the dif between CoreHammer and Zweihander?

Last edited:

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Looking forward to checking this out, going to have a look through the S2Stun forums now.

Good luck :)

EDIT: for us not in the loop what is the dif between CoreHammer and Zweihander?

Thanks for the well wishes!

Corehammer was the initial project name internally with our play tests groups. It evolved into CORE RPG over time. It was used mostly to distinguish between versions we were running in parallel with different groups to test the rules under different circumstances.

Zweihänder will be the published version.

AH OK, it looks like a nice cleaned up version (from the little I can see on the forums). Be very interested once you get to BETA stage, though I won't be able to play test I will certainly cast my eye over.

kitsune9

Adventurer
That's cool. I really like WHFRP both 1st and 2nd edition, though 2nd edition seems a really cleaner and more consistent edition. I have 3rd edition sitting on my shelf, but I haven't gotten to read it yet.

WHFRP was one of those games where in chargen, I loved to roll up whatever I got and I would play. Got a camp follower? I'm down with that. Got a rat catcher or charcoal burner? Cool! Didn't matter to me, it was just that much fun.

How do you pronounce the name of your game?

dagger

Adventurer
I really like the WFRPG 2e and Dark Heresy systems. I would like to check this out if possible. I don't have a lot of experience running/playing WHRPG stuff but we are in the middle of a DH campaign.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
The Strike to Stun forum has a number of threads to dig through, but I thought I'd share the completed list of Starting Careers. They cover most of the base careers offered through WFRPG, although some have different names.

If you feel I may have missed any original careers (or have a suggestion for a new career), let me know!

[sblock]Adherent
Alchemist
Animal Trainer
Apothecary
Artisan
Astrologer
Bailiff
Barber Surgeon
Beggar
Berserker
Bounty Hunter
Busker
Camp Follower
Cavalryman
Courtier
Crusader
Cunningfolk
Cutthroat
Dilettante
Drover
Druid
Footpad
Forester
Gambler
Gaoler
Gladiator
Godsworn
Graverobber
Harrier
Highwayman
Huntsman
Laborer
Man at Arms
Mercenary
Merchant
Monk
Partisan
Peasant
Penitent
Pilgrim
Pugilist
Rabblerouser
Raconteur
Rake
Reaver
Reeve
Sailor
Scholar
Scout
Scrivener
Sentinel
Servant
Slayer
Smuggler
Sorcerer
Squire
Swashbuckler
Thief
Troubadour
Vagabond
Valet
Witch[/sblock]

Last edited:

Umm only the most important!

C0093312-Rat_Catcher-SPL.jpg

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Umm only the most important!

C0093312-Rat_Catcher-SPL.jpg

Haha, already covered by the Animal Trainer! Here's a look at how they function from their unique Traits. I should note that Traits are unique to Starting Careers, each received two up front during character creation and cannot be purchased as Talents by other players.

Essentially, your Starting Career gets unique bonuses that no other player may ever possess!

Beastmaster - Animal Trainer
Effect - The Animal Trainer can designate a number of unique creatures types equal to his Fellowship bonus over the course of the campaign. Providing these creatures possess the "Animal" or "Beast" trait, he can thereafter use his Handle Animal skill to subdue, train and domesticate them whereas a normal person could not.

Bond of Kinship- Animal Trainer
Effect - An Animal Trainer may flip the results of his Handle Animal and Ride tests associated with interacting with creatures that possess the "Animal" or "Beast" trait.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases