The New D&D Next Official Site

TwinBahamut

First Post
Am I the only one that thinks it might be in poor taste to still advertise Essentials as the what to buy if you're new to D&D when a new version is coming in a year?
Not really... My intro to D&D was with some random really late 2E boxed set called the "Adventure Set" (a rather decent intro to the game, THAC0 aside) that nobody ever seems to have heard of. A few months after I bought it, I got the newly released first print run 3E PHB. I think both products were even printed the same year (with that 25th anniversary logo). The edition whiplash didn't bug me at all. Actually, in my ignorance I just thought that the 'real' rules were vastly superior to the 'fake' rules from the box set. :)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Not really... My intro to D&D was with some random really late 2E boxed set called the "Adventure Set" (a rather decent intro to the game, THAC0 aside) that nobody ever seems to have heard of.
I know exactly which set you mean! This one:

It was published in April 1999 (so a little more than a year before 3rd Edition) and it uses a version of the rules that isn't 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition or BECMI D&D, but its own unique hybrid.

It's also the only version of D&D to include a creature called a "Xvarg", which presumably has the Special Ability:
  • Typographical error: This creature has the ability to change one letter of its name, to foil adventurers' efforts to use knowledge skills to identify it.
:p

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I know exactly which set you mean! This one:

It was published in April 1999 (so a little more than a year before 3rd Edition) and it uses a version of the rules that isn't 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition or BECMI D&D, but its own unique hybrid.
I've never heard of this! Where can I learn more about it? The rpg geek link has no real info.

Edit: Specifically, where can I learn about the rules?

Last edited:

Nebten

First Post
I own it. It is very basic 2nd edition AD&D (even though is says its just D&D). Comes with pre-made PCs, basic adventure and some handouts. Is there anything in particular you want to know? Trust me, you aren't missing out on anything.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I own it. It is very basic 2nd edition AD&D (even though is says its just D&D). Comes with pre-made PCs, basic adventure and some handouts. Is there anything in particular you want to know? Trust me, you aren't missing out on anything.
What does it incorporate from 3E?

Nebten

First Post
Nothing at all. Its all 2nd edition rules: THAC0, roll above a # for Saving Throws (it only gives 1 number though). Some of the rules are simplified, but its all AD&D. I even have a coupon that gives me 10% off for the black boarder PHB & DMG when I to to store.wizards.com and use the code world "halfling." Sadly, the offer ended 12/31/99.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases