+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus

A brand new EN World in development

As some of those of you who follow me on Twitter may already know, we're in the planning stages of a brand new EN World. Now, before I say anything further, I'd like to clarify one important piece of information:
    1. We will be importing the entire database, including all users, posts, threads, etc.
    So, we're only in the planning stages right now. No actual work has been done yet, other than some playing around with some ideas on a test site. The core of the new site will be an upgrade from our venerable vBulletin 3.8 installation to the more recent vBulletin 4 forum software; however, as you know, EN World has a massive array of customizations and features that have been made to the core software over the past decade, and the majority of the work will involve replicating those features on the new site along with adding a few new features.

It's probably important to point out a vital piece of information at this point:
    1. We will be importing the entire database, including all users, posts, threads, etc.
    Changes you can expect to see include a much more modern and easy-to use news page, and a generally cleaner - but more powerful - interface.

A large part of the new site will involve me resurrecting our old Campaign Manager code. We have started and restarted development on this perhaps four or five times over the last decade (and during that time other sites have arrived and grown which do specifically that) but we never got it as far as launch. Some of you might recall prototypes I've shown occasionally. This time we're going to actually do it - maybe 8 years later than I planned, but them's the breaks. I'm not actually going to use the original code; I'm going to be tasking the core software's groups functionality to do the job.

As I mentioned above, we're still at the planning stages. It is quite some way off yet, and not all decisions have been made. Although we did decide one thing:
    The primary benefit of this project is to start over with a clean, bug-free installation of vBulletin. Our current platform has been hacked, modded, and customized so many times over the last then years that the code barely resembles the original, and the whole system is very cluttered and inefficient. It's quite a mess, to be honest, and this will give us a solid core base to operate from for the next ten years. Plus it'll do some funky stuff.

Anyway. Now you know! Like I said, it's not imminent (and we don't yet have any kind of ETA), but it is in the works, and it is going to be a big change. Oh but:
    Oh, and we'll also be able to safely resurrect the blogs which died in hacker/spambot induced flames a couple of months ago.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Morrus; Friday, 24th February, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

The EN World kitten COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries
    ENniesGygax Memorial FundI Defended The Walls!

Ignore Alzrius
    This sounds really cool, but I'm a little worried that some of my favorite threads won't make the transfer. Can you comment on what parts of the database won't be brought over?
    Need an informed review of a product? No problem! Check out my RPGnow Staff Reviews!

Debuting on an internet near you, it's Intelligence Check, my new Pathfinder blog!

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore GSHamster
    Are you going to use this upgrade to implement any changes to how ENWorld works?

Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore kitsune9
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    We will be importing the entire database, including all users, posts, threads, etc.
    I think I found the secret message encoded in the post.

Good luck with the transfer and hope it's seamless!

Aasimar Aardvark COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

PlanescapeCircvs MaximvsGygax Memorial Fund

Ignore TarionzCousin
    Where can I learn more about Bob's Forgotten Realms campaign "Secrets of the Frog Shoes"? I can't wait for the new site; I must know now!

P.S. Good luck. I hope it's a smooth transition.
    Rose City Regulars - ENWorld Gamers in and around Portland, Oregon, USA

Community Supporter
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Wizards of the Coast

Ignore mudbunny
    I have limited (none, really) skills, but am more than willing to be a guinea pig for testing the new site when you get close to it.

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Blog Entries

Ignore Walking Dad
    Will there be a "black style" option and will the "old" links still work? Can we keep avatar and signatures?
    Signature

Hi I'm a comic and rpg nerd. Don't hurt me, please.

PS: English is NOT my native language!

May the 4th be with you!

PbPs

Invisible Castle

http://www.d20srd.org/
    Pathfinder SRD (Pathfinder_OGC)

My Houserules

I am SpiderClan

The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dad View Post
    Will there be a "black style" option and will the "old" links still work? Can we keep avatar and signatures?
    etc.

Member SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

D&DI Defended The Walls!

Ignore SkidAce
    Print/export out a list of users and join dates somewhere safe.

I like my Sep 2002 join date. (even though I was a member of the previous forum version but my "alumini" status didn't carry over....grumble grumble.)

"If you die first, we're splitting up your gear" - SkidAce
    "Just because you don't like it, don't understand it, and can't explain it, doesn't mean that it doesn't work. "- Celebrim
    "D&D is amazingly flexible, so there is no one well-accepted set of expectations there, and I've seen no evidence that there ever were." - Umbran
    "I usually describe "Record of Lodoss War" as the D&D game you want to run. Whereas Slayers is what actually happens at your table." - Andor

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore Michael Silverbane
    This is good news! I look forward to hearing more as the new site continues to develop.
    It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast