mleibrock's in-game thread for Council of Thieves

mleibrock

First Post
[sblock=OOC]OK, since we're talking OOC, here's Liath's thinking:

There are exactly TWO people in this party who've ever actually seen these "sword marks" that are supposed to point us in the right direction. There are also exactly TWO hallways down which we're NOT sure there are Hellknights (they are behind us in the west hall, and she saw two of them head off down the south hall).

So she split the group in two, putting one of the folks who know what they're looking for in each party along with two others to protect them. She didn't think about them not being able to see, but they're big boys and girls and are perfectly capable of lighting a torch, sunrod, or a light spell if they need to. Janiven's proposal was that they go just to the first turn, and Liath didn't suggest anything different, so it's not like they're going far.

There's no use trying too hard to be sneaky here - not only do we have particularly un-sneaky sorts wearing full on metal armor with us, the HellKnights already know we're here. Or at least they know we're in the sewers, have a last known location and know what direction we went from there. So she's thinking that our best bet is to locate the marks quickly and GET MOVING. Whichever of the two (Janiven or the kid) finds the mark will whistle and everyone else can move to them. If we make that happen before the HellKnights behind us actually catch up they won't have any way of knowing which of the two Northern hallways we've gone down.

But if we stand here playing with our tallywhackers (or whatever passes for such on those of us who are womenfolk) and trying to decide which of us is smarter than all the others, we'll still be doing that when those HellKnights behind us finally make it into this room and we'll have the full on fight some of us are looking for.

Liath's understanding from Janiven is that we're supposed to avoid doing anything that will get us identified and branded publicly as dissenters, so she's trying to avoid a fight with the enforcers of the law in Cheliax (that'd be the HellKnights, for those who are confused). However, if we get into said fight we'll be needing to kill 'em all (and let Pharasma sort 'em out).[/sblock]

Mike,

I personally feel all your logic is sound and I think you are playing Liath as you've outlined her. In a case like this characters need to react quickly and the module is created to force this upon you guys. I am not getting a lot of feedback from the other characters (Leif excluded) though and I think this is unlike their personas. Janiven chose each one for their strong characters and it just seems like there is not much characterization going on. I do think you are incorrect though in one aspect. In post #127 - Janiven pointed out to you the sword marks so you have all indeed seen them.

The group sees and some hear an exchange of words between Liath and Janiven. Did these two know each other before today? It seems odd, like they have some kind of bond already. After the exchange, Liath moves past the group and through the door and nearly out of sight.

The rest of the group also makes their way past the wooden door and Janiven turns and lowers a wooden bar into place horizontally across the door. "That should buy us a little time from the Hellknights.

On this side of the door you make out a sewer tunnel running left and right. Morosino, who is still up front, now with Janiven points to some type of a marking (looks somehwhat like a sword) on the wall. Janiven looks back to the rest of you. “Arael and I made these marks a few months ago when we explored the sewers. We marked all the intersections so our people could find their way through the sewers to our hideout. If we get separated for any reason, follow the direction of the sword and you will eventually find the safe house."

I just wanted to point this out in case Liath was becoming suspicious of Janiven being truthful about the marks - this is not the case.

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]Mike,

I personally feel all your logic is sound and I think you are playing Liath as you've outlined her. In a case like this characters need to react quickly and the module is created to force this upon you guys. I am not getting a lot of feedback from the other characters (Leif excluded) though and I think this is unlike their personas. Janiven chose each one for their strong characters and it just seems like there is not much characterization going on. I do think you are incorrect though in one aspect. In post #127 - Janiven pointed out to you the sword marks so you have all indeed seen them.

The group sees and some hear an exchange of words between Liath and Janiven. Did these two know each other before today? It seems odd, like they have some kind of bond already. After the exchange, Liath moves past the group and through the door and nearly out of sight.

The rest of the group also makes their way past the wooden door and Janiven turns and lowers a wooden bar into place horizontally across the door. "That should buy us a little time from the Hellknights.

On this side of the door you make out a sewer tunnel running left and right. Morosino, who is still up front, now with Janiven points to some type of a marking (looks somehwhat like a sword) on the wall. Janiven looks back to the rest of you. “Arael and I made these marks a few months ago when we explored the sewers. We marked all the intersections so our people could find their way through the sewers to our hideout. If we get separated for any reason, follow the direction of the sword and you will eventually find the safe house."

I just wanted to point this out in case Liath was becoming suspicious of Janiven being truthful about the marks - this is not the case.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I totally forgot that she'd pointed one out to us. But Liath's not suspicious of her, she just recognizes that Janiven and her crew placed the marks originally so they'd still know better what to look for and where to look for it (even if we have seen an example).

I definitely got that "act quickly" feel; that's why Liath stepped up and gave some directions - normally she'd be hanging back more (like she did at dinner), still trying to get a feel for these strangers. But she's seen what the HellKnights do in the Parego Dospera, and she really wants no part of a tangle with them unless there's no other choice. :D[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Drulox ("Dru") Xorik, Human, Order of the Dragon Cavalier1

Dru feels pangs of impatience in his sphincter as he worries about the approaching Hellknights, "Can we get there any faster, or should we just stand and fight?"

[sblock=Dru Xorik, Cav1, Sheet]
Drulox ("Dru") Xorik, Human, Order of the Dragon Cavalier1, age: 20
Align: C/G Deity: Sarenrae
S15 +2mod = [13(3pts) +2 racial adj. (human)]
D13 +1 mod = (3pts)
C13 +1 mod = (3pts)
I 11 +0 mod = (1pt)
W12 +1 mod = (2pts)
C13 +1 mod = (3pts)
Total = 15 pts

HP: 12
AC: 20 [10base+8Half Plate+2HvyShield+0dex(armor)] [in Hide+Shld: AC 17, FF 16, T 11]
FF: 20 T: 10
(W/O shield - AC: 18, FF: 18, T: 10)
BAB: +1, CMB: +2, CMD: 13
Hero Points: 1

Saves:
Fort: +4 = +2[class]+1[ability]+1[trait]
Ref: +1 = +0[class]+1[ability]
Will: +1 = +0[class]+1[ability]

Cavalier Class and Order of the Dragon Features:
*Challenge 1/day ) [allies gain +1 to att subject whenever Dru threatens subject]
*Perception and Survival added to class skills. [When use Survival to find food and water or protect from weather, gain bonus = 1/2 cav level, min +1]
*Tactician - Precise Strike Teamwork Feat -- By spending 1 standard action, Dru can grant his teamwork feat, Precise Strike, to all allies w/in 30 feet who can see and hear him. Feat grants to each flanking ally +1d6 damage against flanked opponent.

Feats:
*Weapon Focus, Greatsword (+1 att) [Reg. feat]
*Weapon Focus, Flail (+1 att) [Human bonus feat]
*Precise Strike (Cavalier Bonus Teamwork feat) Req: must flank with ally Eff: all flanking allies who have this feat deal an extra 1d6 precision damage with each successful attack.

Skills [6 ranks at L1]:
Climb 1 rank, (+2 str), (+3 class skill) = +6 [-1 in half plate, +3 in Hide]
Diplomacy 1 rank, (+1 cha), (+3 class skill) = +5
Intimidate 1 rank, (+1 cha), (+3 class skill) = +5
Perception 1 rank, (+1 wis), (+3 class skill), (+1/2 cav level, min +1) = +6
Ride 1 rank, (+1 dex), (+3 class skill) = +5 [no ACP on Blister, otherwise, -2 in 1/2 plate +2 inHide]
Survival 1 rank, (+1 wis), (+3 class skill) (+1/2 cav level to find food/shelter, min+1) = +5 (+6)

TRAITS
Resilient [+1 Fort saves]
Rich Parents [starting money=900 gp]

[900 gp starting money due to trait]
*= Gear of Choice
*Half Plate (+8 AC) (-7 ACP) (600gp)
Back-up Armor: Hide Armor (+4 AC) (15gp)
*Heavy Wooden Shield (+2 AC) (7gp) (ordinarily used but not always- strapped on back if not)
Greatsword +4 att/2d6+3, 19-20/X2 (50gp) (strapped across his back when not in use, under the shield)
*Flail +4 att/1d8+2, X2, Disarm, Trip (8gp)
2 Handaxes, +3 att/1d6+2, X3 (6gp) (used as missiles mostly)
Short Sword +3 att/1d6+2, 19-20/X2 (10gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Hammer (the tool kind not the weapon kind) (5sp)
4 Days' Trail Rations (2gp)
Waterskin (1gp)
Whetstone (2cp)
Potions of Healing (gift from Janiven), 3
10gp 4 sp 8 cp remaining money

Mount - "Blister", Light Horse (Palomino)
*Fancy* Studded Leather Barding (130 gp, +3 AC)
*Ornate* Military Saddle (40 gp)
*Heavy Duty* Bit & Bridle (4gp)
*Tricked Out Fancy* Saddlebags (8gp)
[/sblock]

Lou

Explorer
OOC: As you might expect, I find, in character and even as a player, it both confusing and frustrating to be running through the dark sewers to escape. It's not clear what the appropriate course(s) of action is(are). For first level characters, that makes for either a reliance on the graces of the DM and the designers or just plowing ahead at random. The PBP format does not work well in these cases. While I'm interested in moving the game forward, I don't find this sewer crawl very engaging.

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Sadly, I've been very distracted by RL and so have not been able to give my full attention to this (or various other games). I will try to make up for lost time when I get the chance.

I definitely got the sense of urgency and have tried to push everyone forward, but with the understanding that Suzume has little underground experience and so may not be making the best plan. He can at least provide light and low light vision.

He's on-board with the short split explore plan.

Rhun

First Post
OOC: Anundr would prefer to fight the Hellknights, but he realizes he is the only one that is onboard for that plan. So he agrees with Liath's plan, but he is getting antsy, and is on the verge of just heading off on his own. :)

Leif

Adventurer
Drulox ("Dru") Xorik, Human, Order of the Dragon Cavalier1

"Come on, Anundr, let's stand shoulder-to-shoulder and go out in a blaze of glory fighting these da**ed Hellknights," whispers Dru in a show of solidarity with his companion, secretly hoping that wiser heads will prevail and whisk them both to safety, hint, hint.

[sblock=Dru Xorik, Cav1, Sheet]
Drulox ("Dru") Xorik, Human, Order of the Dragon Cavalier1, age: 20
Align: C/G Deity: Sarenrae
S15 +2mod = [13(3pts) +2 racial adj. (human)]
D13 +1 mod = (3pts)
C13 +1 mod = (3pts)
I 11 +0 mod = (1pt)
W12 +1 mod = (2pts)
C13 +1 mod = (3pts)
Total = 15 pts

HP: 12
AC: 20 [10base+8Half Plate+2HvyShield+0dex(armor)] [in Hide+Shld: AC 17, FF 16, T 11]
FF: 20 T: 10
(W/O shield - AC: 18, FF: 18, T: 10)
BAB: +1, CMB: +2, CMD: 13
Hero Points: 1

Saves:
Fort: +4 = +2[class]+1[ability]+1[trait]
Ref: +1 = +0[class]+1[ability]
Will: +1 = +0[class]+1[ability]

Cavalier Class and Order of the Dragon Features:
*Challenge 1/day ) [allies gain +1 to att subject whenever Dru threatens subject]
*Perception and Survival added to class skills. [When use Survival to find food and water or protect from weather, gain bonus = 1/2 cav level, min +1]
*Tactician - Precise Strike Teamwork Feat -- By spending 1 standard action, Dru can grant his teamwork feat, Precise Strike, to all allies w/in 30 feet who can see and hear him. Feat grants to each flanking ally +1d6 damage against flanked opponent.

Feats:
*Weapon Focus, Greatsword (+1 att) [Reg. feat]
*Weapon Focus, Flail (+1 att) [Human bonus feat]
*Precise Strike (Cavalier Bonus Teamwork feat) Req: must flank with ally Eff: all flanking allies who have this feat deal an extra 1d6 precision damage with each successful attack.

Skills [6 ranks at L1]:
Climb 1 rank, (+2 str), (+3 class skill) = +6 [-1 in half plate, +3 in Hide]
Diplomacy 1 rank, (+1 cha), (+3 class skill) = +5
Intimidate 1 rank, (+1 cha), (+3 class skill) = +5
Perception 1 rank, (+1 wis), (+3 class skill), (+1/2 cav level, min +1) = +6
Ride 1 rank, (+1 dex), (+3 class skill) = +5 [no ACP on Blister, otherwise, -2 in 1/2 plate +2 inHide]
Survival 1 rank, (+1 wis), (+3 class skill) (+1/2 cav level to find food/shelter, min+1) = +5 (+6)

TRAITS
Resilient [+1 Fort saves]
Rich Parents [starting money=900 gp]

[900 gp starting money due to trait]
*= Gear of Choice
*Half Plate (+8 AC) (-7 ACP) (600gp)
Back-up Armor: Hide Armor (+4 AC) (15gp)
*Heavy Wooden Shield (+2 AC) (7gp) (ordinarily used but not always- strapped on back if not)
Greatsword +4 att/2d6+3, 19-20/X2 (50gp) (strapped across his back when not in use, under the shield)
*Flail +4 att/1d8+2, X2, Disarm, Trip (8gp)
2 Handaxes, +3 att/1d6+2, X3 (6gp) (used as missiles mostly)
Short Sword +3 att/1d6+2, 19-20/X2 (10gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Hammer (the tool kind not the weapon kind) (5sp)
4 Days' Trail Rations (2gp)
Waterskin (1gp)
Whetstone (2cp)
Potions of Healing (gift from Janiven), 3
10gp 4 sp 8 cp remaining money

Mount - "Blister", Light Horse (Palomino)
*Fancy* Studded Leather Barding (130 gp, +3 AC)
*Ornate* Military Saddle (40 gp)
*Heavy Duty* Bit & Bridle (4gp)
*Tricked Out Fancy* Saddlebags (8gp)
[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
Janiven, Suzume and Trevor head off to the NE hallway, the one the Hell Knights previously came from. They are soon out of the sight of Andundr, Dru and Liath who have chosen to remain in the center area and wait for the others to return. As you watch the group, Suzume's light soon vanishes and you can only assume they are finding their way.

Tiko has no problem seeing in the low light of the sewers and she and Morosino head off toward the NW hallway. It's clear that Morosino does not have Tiko's keen vision though and he is bumbling around and nearly trips on his own feet. Tiko soon realizes if they continue without a light source, Morosino will be of no help as he wont even be able to see the mark.

OOC: Mike - I believe you found some sunrods in the chest under the stairs and put them in your clothing. It might be good to share them?

OOC: Todd, are you back with us?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC: Yep - just need someone to actually tell Liath that they can't see. She's always been able to see in the dark, and tends to forget that everyone doesn't have her advantages in that area :p. She's not really used to interacting with people . . .

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Guess I was waiting for you to tell me what we see as we move down the hallway. Todd's still having computer issues. Expects to have it resolved for this weekend.

Suzume holds his light high and keeps his eyes open for the special mark or any sign of HellKnights.

Remove ads