EN World Hillside Games, Asheville: The Unfriendly Local Game Store - Page 13





+ Log in or register to post
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 142
  1. #121
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    CleverName's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    171
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore CleverName

    Wow

    I will look for Wyverntale Games when next I get to Asheville. I am very disappointed in Hillside. A great friend of mine made a big button that he wore to cons it said "Life is too short to play with A$$___s." Goes for shopping too.

    Let us know your progress.
    I don't want to invalidate your nerd rage, but so far, 4e is better.

 

  • #122
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Landrum, SC
    Posts
    3
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore WetRats
    This thread makes it sound like the oldest game store in Asheville, Pastimes, no longer exists. Did they close?

  • #123
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Mirth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ashevegas
    Posts
    2,087
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Mirth
    Logging in for the first time in years to comment here. I've lived in Asheville since 1997 and owned a book & music store in Black Mountain from 1997-2003. I've frequented Pastimes, Comic Envy and Blitzkrieg Games and found all of them to be great shops with good customer service. I was sad to hear that Blitzkrieg had closed (I thought they were moving locations around the corner), but I'm very glad to hear that Wyvern's Tale is taking up where they left off. I currently live in West Asheville and can't wait to give some of my hard-earned money to a FLGS like theirs.

    I say all of this because I have only ever been in Hillside Games ONCE. The customer service was so atrocious that I vowed I would never go back. In fact, I had taken my two sons there to get them started in RPGs and we had a fairly substantial purchase that I left on the counter because the person behind the register (who I assume was the owner) was so rude and insulting I didn't want to give them any reward and I wanted to get my kids out of there. Horrible way to run a business.

    Wyvern's Tale, I fanned you on facebook and I look forward to seeing an update soon for when you are going to open.

    To all my long-lost enworld buddies, HEY!

    Mirth (aka Jay Myers)

  • #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirth View Post
    To all my long-lost enworld buddies, HEY!
    Welcome back!
    Game on, gang!
    Ptolus #15 (with customized, personalized sig from Monte.), Rappan Athuk Reloaded #37 (The Necromancer way.)

    Current Campaign

    Current Campaign: Currently running Deadlands for Savage Worlds. Also have a Slumbering Tsar 4e campaign that is taking a break, but we'll be starting that up again in the summer.

  • #125
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    w_earle_wheeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    833
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore w_earle_wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRats View Post
    This thread makes it sound like the oldest game store in Asheville, Pastimes, no longer exists. Did they close?
    Nope, they are still in Asheville. That's where I buy my comic books.

    I still remember buying a Paranoia RPG supplement from them in 1992, back when they also sold CDs.

    "If you're going to hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you'd better make d&#n sure the bad guy isn't you! "

    - MACHETE

  • #126
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    Aeolius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Summerfield, NC
    Posts
    3,777
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    2

    Ignore Aeolius
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirth View Post
    I've lived in Asheville since 1997 and owned a book & music store in Black Mountain from 1997-2003.
    I attended a New Garden Friends School reunion, yesterday. Bob Welsh, who was once headmaster at NGFS, taught up at Black Mountain for years.
    My Games

    Into the Land of Black Ice (retired) - An arctic PbP adventure in the mysterious frozen lands of Oerth
    Penance of the Damned (retired) - A planar chat-based game, set in Hades, where the PCs began as larvae
    Beneath the Pinnacles of Azor'alq (retired) - A mid-level PbP campaign set within the Dramidj Ocean
    Heirs of Turucambi - An entry-level chat-based game set within the waters of Turucambi Reef in the Oljatt Sea
    Nature of the Beast (in design) - A sylvan adventure where the adventurers are forest animals.

  • #127
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Matchstick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hudson, Wi
    Posts
    332
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Matchstick
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirth View Post
    Logging in for the first time in years to comment here. I've lived in Asheville since 1997 and owned a book & music store in Black Mountain from 1997-2003. I've frequented Pastimes, Comic Envy and Blitzkrieg Games and found all of them to be great shops with good customer service. I was sad to hear that Blitzkrieg had closed (I thought they were moving locations around the corner), but I'm very glad to hear that Wyvern's Tale is taking up where they left off. I currently live in West Asheville and can't wait to give some of my hard-earned money to a FLGS like theirs.

    I say all of this because I have only ever been in Hillside Games ONCE. The customer service was so atrocious that I vowed I would never go back. In fact, I had taken my two sons there to get them started in RPGs and we had a fairly substantial purchase that I left on the counter because the person behind the register (who I assume was the owner) was so rude and insulting I didn't want to give them any reward and I wanted to get my kids out of there. Horrible way to run a business.

    Wyvern's Tale, I fanned you on facebook and I look forward to seeing an update soon for when you are going to open.

    To all my long-lost enworld buddies, HEY!

    Mirth (aka Jay Myers)
    Dang it World Mage, get back in the ATM!


  • #128
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Landrum, SC
    Posts
    3
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore WetRats
    Hey Matchstick, watch out for that subway train!

  • #129
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    aryus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas!
    Posts
    25
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore aryus
    I hate to refresh this, but since I've come late to the party I will point out one fact regarding the issue. Thewyvernstale.com, registered by Hillside games, redirects to a site for a miniature painter who owns the domain wyvernstale.com (whois.tucows.com). That domain was registered back in 2004 and directed to her Comcast site (see archive.org), which has a username of wyvernstale. The point I am trying to make is that the new domain, thewyvernstale.com, is being used by a legitimate entity who has had the name for several years, thus it is very unlikely that any cybersquatting is happening here.

    Yes, Hillside pulled a fast one on the new store owners by purchasing the domain names, but they have not done anything illegal. I'm not trying to defend their actions, personally I disapprove of such tactics in our hobby, but did want to point out some facts I have not yet seen so people understand what might really be happening rather than jumping to conclusions base don emotion.

    Thank you.

  • #130
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Mirth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ashevegas
    Posts
    2,087
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Mirth
    Quote Originally Posted by aryus View Post
    I hate to refresh this, but since I've come late to the party I will point out one fact regarding the issue. Thewyvernstale.com, registered by Hillside games, redirects to a site for a miniature painter who owns the domain wyvernstale.com (whois.tucows.com). That domain was registered back in 2004 and directed to her Comcast site (see archive.org), which has a username of wyvernstale. The point I am trying to make is that the new domain, thewyvernstale.com, is being used by a legitimate entity who has had the name for several years, thus it is very unlikely that any cybersquatting is happening here.

    Yes, Hillside pulled a fast one on the new store owners by purchasing the domain names, but they have not done anything illegal. I'm not trying to defend their actions, personally I disapprove of such tactics in our hobby, but did want to point out some facts I have not yet seen so people understand what might really be happening rather than jumping to conclusions base don emotion.

    Thank you.
    Actually, that fact was already pointed out earlier and it was noted at the same time that Hillside only made that redirect AFTER they were identified as cybersquatters. The figure painter has also come forward to say that she has no connection to Hillside and, although she is glad for unexpected increase in traffic to her site, she does not want to be affiliated with Hillside.

    Reading is fundamental. So are above-board business practices in an industry and hobby as small as this one.
    Last edited by Mirth; Thursday, 8th March, 2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Ceramic DM I & II -- http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=98651

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 141
      Last Post: Saturday, 23rd June, 2012, 12:34 AM
    2. Local Game Store Tour
      By DM_Jeff in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: Monday, 30th November, 2009, 07:53 PM
    3. Do you have a local game store?
      By Glyfair in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 44
      Last Post: Monday, 25th May, 2009, 10:01 PM
    4. Support Your Local Game Store?
      By MUKid in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 67
      Last Post: Wednesday, 6th August, 2003, 07:32 PM
    5. What's your favorite local game store?
      By Maerdwyn in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 55
      Last Post: Saturday, 26th January, 2002, 09:26 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •