Hillside Games, Asheville: The Unfriendly Local Game Store

MajPepper

First Post
Hello all, I am one of the co-proprietors of The Wyvern's Tale. I would like to first thank everyone for their supportive and helpful replies.

Regarding our name, while it is true that the original store we are buying out had a focus on board games (and we intend to continue that focus) we are both avid role-players and want to support the very under-supported role-playing community in our area. To that end, we have decided upon the name of The Wyvern's Tale to evoke the sense of a fantasy tavern. It may not be immediately recognized by many non-gamers, we believe the name and our signage will be intriguing enough to draw in foot-traffic. SEO has never factored into our priorities as we do not intend to do web sales. Our focus is entirely local and we will be networking to that end.

But again, I'm very appreciative of your comments, and in any event, we do not believe we have committed any wrong in bringing these events to light.

They now seem to be redirecting it to www.wyvernstale.com, a page to which I know they have no connection, as I had seen it earlier in my research of web pages.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Can they start a Kickstarter project to raise $1000 to file a complaint? I would contribute to that.

Personally, I would pretend my store was called "Pig Pen is Gaming" and hope that the other store registered that domain name.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Apparently I'm now banned form posting to Hillside Games' facebook page. I tried to post the definition of libel for them (in the most helpful way, of course) but got a message saying I could not post to that wall.

Libel (dfn): There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false.
Is it just me, or has the "Everyone" posts tab now disappeared?

Last edited:

Nareau

Explorer
Can they start a Kickstarter project to raise $1000 to file a complaint? I would contribute to that.
Heh, I suggested the same thing. But Kickstarter seems to be focused on raising money for creative endeavours, so this probably wouldn't fly.

Also, in case I wasn't clear in my OP--I'm not affiliated with either store in any way. I care about the gaming scene in my town, and I know one of the owners of The Wyvern Stale.

You have no idea how hard it is to keep fresh Wyvern on the shelves.

Edit to add: I hope Bethany gets some sales from this whole fiasco. At least then something productive will have come out of it!

Aeolius

Adventurer
Is it just me, or has the "Everyone" posts tab now disappeared?

Yep. It's gone for me, as well. What a bunch of cotton headed ninny muggins.

EDIT: gee, and now my reply (and yours) to their Sealed Deck post have vanished... and for some reason I cannot reply to their posts ;)

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
Hello all, I am one of the co-proprietors of The Wyvern's Tale. I would like to first thank everyone for their supportive and helpful replies.

This is EN World. "You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us." (with all due respect to Spider-Man, of course)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Regarding our name, while it is true that the original store we are buying out had a focus on board games (and we intend to continue that focus) we are both avid role-players and want to support the very under-supported role-playing community in our area. To that end, we have decided upon the name of The Wyvern's Tale to evoke the sense of a fantasy tavern. It may not be immediately recognized by many non-gamers, we believe the name and our signage will be intriguing enough to draw in foot-traffic. SEO has never factored into our priorities as we do not intend to do web sales. Our focus is entirely local and we will be networking to that end.

But again, I'm very appreciative of your comments, and in any event, we do not believe we have committed any wrong in bringing these events to light.

They now seem to be redirecting it to www.wyvernstale.com, a page to which I know they have no connection, as I had seen it earlier in my research of web pages.

You're welcome. The RPG community is fractured and shrinking enough as it is without needing these sorts of people in it. If they are stupid enough to try to sue you, let me know; I'm sure we can help.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Look for a Legal Shield rep in your area (just get on the site) and get your hands on some inexpensive legal representation. Yes, it's a MLM thing however, I think the service is superb. They don't cover "pre-existing" legal situations, however the discount DOES apply as soon as you sign up. I pay $30.00 a month for legal coverage. It's the best investment I've made for my peace of mind.

In the short term, find a substitute name, register that DNS and then you can point the others to yours when you win them from your competitors.

MajPepper

First Post
You're welcome. The RPG community is fractured and shrinking enough as it is without needing these sorts of people in it. If they are stupid enough to try to sue you, let me know; I'm sure we can help.

Thanks again! It's our belief and hope that this is just posturing on their part, but we'll keep everyone apprised of the situation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases