Navy Railgun Tests Leading to Ship Superweapon by 2020

Jack7

First Post
It's a high acceleration kinetic weapon. In addition to all of the other forces being employed to project the weapon and traveling with the warhead, the projectile is dragging gravity and the accumulated g-forces with the projectile. Nothing solid wants to get hit by that because it will re-transfer those same g-forces to the target.

In addition to all of the other kinetic and physical forces.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
1) Rail guns require long "barrels" for acceleration so plane mounts would be problematic.

2) The recoil would knock the plane below stall speed I expect.
But, it's a railgun. Magnetically accelerated. I thought those things didn't have any recoil?

frankthedm

First Post
I'm no scientist, and I'm just guessing but while the mechanism might not generate traditional recoil, the projectile leaving the gun at such high velocities might make some sort of physical interference.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But, it's a railgun. Magnetically accelerated. I thought those things didn't have any recoil?

Newton's Third Law still applies. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. A force is applied to the projectile, so a force in the other direction is applied to the launcher. That electromagnetism is used to apply forces to the object does not change that most basic of facts.

So, there will be recoil.

In addition to all of the other forces being employed to project the weapon and traveling with the warhead, the projectile is dragging gravity and the accumulated g-forces with the projectile.

The thing only weighs 40 pounds, and while it is moving at high mach numbers, it is not moving at relativistic speeds. This thing will have no noticeable gravitational effects.

You don't want to get hit by it, because it has a lot of kinetic energy and momentum, and if it hits you it will transfer some of those to you in a very short time, and that will hurt.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Newton's Third Law still applies. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. A force is applied to the projectile, so a force in the other direction is applied to the launcher. That electromagnetism is used to apply forces to the object does not change that most basic of facts.

So, there will be recoil.
That doesn't directly translate to recoil. Equal and opposite reaction as a concept is misleading in some cases. A bazooka has practically no recoil at all in comparison to with how much power it unleashed its projectile with, and yet equal and opposite reaction fully applies. There are guns which are designed to dissipate the 'opposite' force so that when you fire them the accuracy isn't affected, because the 'recoil' isn't all in the backwards direction. They call it recoil reduction.

Equal and opposite when talking of amounts of power unleashed, sure. But the direction of the reaction isn't always directionally opposite.

So, when I think railgun, I think it should be possible to design one the way they design wingtip missile launchers which have about as much recoil as a bazooka. Even more so since the projectile isn't 'touching' the tube it's launched from when it's launched. Right?

Edit:
And when I say 'the way they design wingtip missile launchers' I mean positionally, not mechanically. Obviously.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
If I'm reading the technology right, basically this is a very high powered catapult, meaning it's fire and forget, straight line trajectory so anti-aircraft and missile defense uses are neigh unto impossible as there would be no way to "direct" the round or have it home like radar, sonor, laser, video and fly by wire munitions.

From the article:

U.S. Navy commanders ultimately want a weapon capable of firing up to 10 guided projectiles per minute at targets up to 100 miles away.

Not aimed projectiles, guided projectiles. The only propulsion they would have would be that which they get from the initial firing. But they can still be guided projectiles in much the same way we have guided gravity bombs. They could use camera, radar, laser targeting, ground mapping with inertial nav, GPS, or a combination of these for guidance (like Boeing's JDAM package).

Railgun projectiles could look something like this:

For comparison, a MK-84 JDAM. A 2000lb guided gravity bomb with GPS/Inertial Nav and Laser Targeting.

Punching through the side of the target is just fine. Having penetrated, your metal slug is now fracturing, rolling, tumbling and ricocheting around inside a big metal or concrete box. Mayhem ensues.

Yup! In mechanical and military parlance, we call it "spalling".:D

That doesn't directly translate to recoil. Equal and opposite reaction as a concept is misleading in some cases. A bazooka has practically no recoil at all in comparison to with how much power it unleashed its projectile with, and yet equal and opposite reaction fully applies. There are guns which are designed to dissipate the 'opposite' force so that when you fire them the accuracy isn't affected, because the 'recoil' isn't all in the backwards direction. They call it recoil reduction.

Well, a bazooka has very little recoil because 1) the propelling force is internal to the projectile (unlike the rail gun); and 2) the rear of the launch tube is open, so the force of the rocket engine does not directly interact with the launch tube - if the back of the tube was closed, then the person holding the weapon would experience the full recoil of the rocket (which would be extreme to say the least, at least until the launch tube exploded...)

With the rail-gun, the force to propel the projectile is coming from the rails affixed to the inside if the weapon. Picture it this way, in much the same manner as a balloon squeezes out the air inside it (though equalization of pressure is also involved), and thus propels itself in an opposite direction - the magnetic fields of the rails are squeezing out the electfrified projectile (which now has it's own magnetic field), while much like the balloon, the weapon itself is propelled in the opposite direction (except that the gun is affixed and has mechanisms to disipate the recoil).

B-)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
With the rail-gun, the force to propel the projectile is coming from the rails affixed to the inside if the weapon. Picture it this way, in much the same manner as a balloon squeezes out the air inside it (though equalization of pressure is also involved), and thus propels itself in an opposite direction - the magnetic fields of the rails are squeezing out the electfrified projectile (which now has it's own magnetic field), while much like the balloon, the weapon itself is propelled in the opposite direction (except that the gun is affixed and has mechanisms to disipate the recoil).
I can always get behind a good balloon analogy. :)

Jack7

First Post
The thing only weighs 40 pounds, and while it is moving at high mach numbers, it is not moving at relativistic speeds. This thing will have no noticeable gravitational effects.

You don't want to get hit by it, because it has a lot of kinetic energy and momentum, and if it hits you it will transfer some of those to you in a very short time, and that will hurt.

No, I'm not talking about relativistic speeds obviously. I'm talking about how g-forces build in the warhead projectile which will be concentrated, along with all other relevant forces against a very small area.

I'm talking about the g-forces, along with all of the other forces, that are generated by an object at high acceleration (within a gravitational field) stopped suddenly by impact against solid surfaces. Though it won't be stopped by the solid surfaces it will targeted against. But all of those energies will be concentrated in a very small impact area, though exactly how those forces are transferred to the target will vary by the actual nature of the target (and the warhead).

But I'm not talking about planetary g-forces, I'm talking about the g-forces generated by small but massive objects accelerating at high speeds and impacting other objects at tight impact points. Again though, that's just one of the forces that will actually be involved.

And of course much will depend upon the shape and nature of the matter of the target and the shape and matter of the projectile.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
There's a blatantly obvious application that you're all overlooking here and so I feel bears pointing out: space-guns!

We're one-step closer to ruling the galaxy, humans!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases