Grumpy RPG Reviews - Blacks in Gaming

...being an attorney SUXXXX!

But David E. Kelley makes it seem like so much fun.

Siberian Luaus would be a bitch...

More like limited in the time frame they could comfortably be performed.

...a setting based on the customs and traditions of medieval Europe (fantasy trope #1) but populated by 99% blacks and Asians would be a hard sell.

A Forgotten Realms game I was in ages ago had the Rashemi (psuedo-Russians) as black, in a home brew variation on a theme.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
... since in this world that we live in one can have any skin colour and still belong to almost any culture.

In theory, on can have any skin color, and belong to almost any culture.

But theory isn't a place most of us live, and we are, at least nominally, still discussing RPG products. Ultimately, your product has to be made for your customers. If your customers have associations between skin tone and culture, and you ignore that in your product, you are apt to confuse some of your customers, and anger others.

And that leaves out whites of Arabic descend. :confused:

No, it doesn't leave them out. It just doesn't give them a separate category all their own. They are "White - non-Hispanic", just like I am. But then, Brazilians get lumped into "White-Hispanic", when they often don't wish to be.

The reasons why some groups get separate categories, and others don't, is based in current socio-economics and politics that are not suitable for discussion on EN World, I'm sorry to say.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Make them dwarves. Siberian polynesian dwarves. There's an image for you. :p

Somewhat ahead of you:

PPs do add some seasoning, to be sure, but I really think most will come from the RP side...not that that is any different from any other RPG.

For instance, let me tell you about my Dwarven Starlock whose clan is into astronomy, fighting aberrations, capoira, steel drums & ragga jungle.

On second thought, I've told you enough...

Kaodi

Hero
Speaking of associations between skin tone and culture, it recently dawned on me that Golarion roughly maps onto Earth.

Avistan is Europe, Garund is Africa. East of there, Casmaron is Central Asia, Tian Xia is the Far East, and Sarusan is Australia. West of Avistan and Garund is Atlantis, and West of there (East of Tian Xia and Sarusan) is Arcadia, which is the Americas.

Was it a good idea to organize the world in this way, such that Golarion's cultures (and often skin tones) basically occur in the same spot as do the Earth cultures and skin tones they are based on?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases