[LPF] Dwarven Crusade: Khuldun

GlassEye

Adventurer
The crones titter at Sylvain's comment thinking it a joke. The dominant crone nods as if she expected no less and scratches under one arm.

"The Wise One will know the way..."

She crooks a finger at Sylvain. Waltor skitters from the witch's shoulder to the ground and across the rocky strand to wait at the crone's feet. She holds her hand at Waltor's level and the scorpion scurries up on it. Lifting Waltor up she exhales into his arachnid face. Waltor bobs a moment in the exhalation as if enjoying it and then twitches. At the end of the minor convulsion he seems larger. Another convulsion and he is definitely larger, now the size of a human head. The crone gently sets Waltor on the ground. A third and final convulsion sees the little scorpion grow to the size of a dog. At the end of his transformation he bobs on his legs and chitters to Sylvain that all is well.

"The Wise One knows the way." She stares across at Aldino. "But the way is steep and taxing. The old one and the horses would find it... difficult, at best. Leave them here and we will guard them for your return."

Aldino looks like he is about to protest but instead he sighs, and accepts his limitation. The past two weeks of travel through the mountains have been particularly hard on him and he could certainly use a bit of rest before the journey back to Venza.

"I'd like to go but these old bones... you'll know how it is someday. I'll keep the horses safe."

Waltor bobs a last time then scurries off up the slope of the mountain.

[sblock=OOC]Ok, this next bit, ascending the mountain, is a skill challenge.

Climb is the primary skill though other skills may be useful and creative/effective use of abilities can provide a bonus to your skill checks. Waltor's guidance provides a +2 bonus to your checks.

You need four successful checks to succeed and each of you needs to make at least one check, more if some of those checks fail. I expect your post to reflect your skill/ability use. I'll try to provide updates as the checks are made. I prefer that you make the rolls instead of taking 10. Please ask if you have question. Thanks.[/sblock]

--- -- Old Crone -- ---

Gerald007

First Post
OOC: DM, can judicious use of the Flight hex help Syl avoid a couple of the required skill checks?

Syl [sblock]
Sylvain Marana (Gerald007) - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki
Human Witch 6
Initiative: +6 Perception: +2
Conditions:
AC: 15 (13 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 50 of 50
CMB: +2 CMD: 15 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +6
In Hand: Nothing

Spells: Arcane
  • (0-level - DC 15) Daze (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize;
  • (1st level - DC 16) Burning Hands (DC 16), Charm Person (DC 17), Enlarge Person, Shocking Grasp;
  • (2nd level - DC 17) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 17)^, Hold Person (DC 18), Vomit Swarm;
  • (3rd level - DC 18) Dispel Magic, Fireball (DC 18), Stinking Cloud (DC 18)
Hexes DC 18
  • Cackle, Flight, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber--Fortune on Borric.
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Borric looks up the side of the mountain and swears something fierce. He says, "Here we are, going mountain climbing and probably spelunking. And, me, mister walking arsenal, never even thought to pack a fookin' climbing kit."

Fighter pulls out the silk rope and looks at the first section they are climbing to spot the hand holds and decent places to brace himself to help secure the rope.

"I think we should tie ourselves together to be able to catch anyone in case they fall or slip. Maybe I should go up first?"

[Sblock=OOC]Borric has a Climb +8, +10 with Walter's bonus. Tell me why I would risk bad luck and not Take 10 to beat DC20? :p Yeah, I know, if you want the XP you gotta take the risk.

I can see Strength checks coming into play in case of people failing, or the rope provides a +2 equipment bonus? Knowledge Dungeoneering has to do with spelunking, IIRC. Climbing a mountain is not that far removed.

Based on Borric's examination of the way ahead, not sure which skill you want to use. Looking to get a climb bonus to add onto Walter's if possible. Rolling without the modifier: Examining Mountain Slope (1d20=12)

Speaking of Syl and his hexes. He could use Fortune on the worst climbers and then cackle the whole way up. ;)[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +4
AC: 26 (23 without shield, 21 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 73 Current: 73
CMB: +11 CMD: 24 (26 vs. Disarm/ 28 vs. Trip) Fort: +8 Reflex: +5 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear)
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (night), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO), Mounted (Ride +6)

Current Weapon in Hand: rope
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]___________________________

Swash1.jpg
Borric Hawkins

GlassEye

Adventurer
GM: The climb will take at least half a day of travel, perhaps more if there are incidents on the climb (i.e. failed skill checks).

+2 for Waltor's expert knowledge of the trail.
+2 for the climbing equipment purchased in Gist (listed in the first post).

+2 for flight (Sylvain only). I think it is reasonable that because of the length of the climb and the limited duration of Sylvain's flight that it provide a bonus to his checks rather than replace checks. This bonus is cumulative with the other bonuses (i.e. stacks with the equipment bonus) because I figure he'll use both to his best advantage.

Taking 10: If this were a normal single skill check then I think taking 10 would be perfectly fine. Because this is a skill challenge encounter that will earn xp I don't think it unreasonable for slightly different rules to apply and ask you to make the roll.

Borric can examine the way ahead but is unable to match the supernatural knowledge exhibited by Waltor.

I'll allow Strength checks and/or Reflex saves to mitigate some of the bad effects of failed skill checks. When the time comes I'll ask for those checks.

Note: Because of my requirement that everyone make at least one check, I've made the DC fairly low so don't stress about this.

Thanks for your input and your willingness to attempt this.

Songdragon

Explorer
The gnome remains rather quiet in the the presence of the Hags... something about them is more than a little disturbing.

Seeing a giant Waltor bobbying about Zelena is shocked and amazed. "At least we know the little guy is on our side."

She command the hound to stay with Aldino.

[sblock=Challenge Thoughts and Spells to Help.]

So how big is Waltor? Could a gnome ride him? ;) Sorry I had to ask!:lol:

Some spells that Zelena has that might help... GE, let me know how you see them working best, considering that the durations are not long, but they are helpful at certain points.

Summon Monster 2 - Summon a giant spider (3 round duration) Medium sized creature, so is technically rideable... has a climb of +16. I am sure it can help in those "sticky" situations! :angel:

Zelena also has Mage Hand, which can be used to to move a rope from a distance of 30 ft (duration is concentration) lift up to 5 lbs.

She also has Guidance for that +1 to a skill check.

Zelena will also cast Ant Haul on Borric (triples his carrying capacity for 6 hours)[/sblock]
[sblock=Zelena's Stats]Zelena Andu Gnome Cleric 3/Bard 2
Initiative: +2 Perception: +13
Conditions: Bless (26 rounds), Haste (3 rounds), Posioned (5 rounds)
AC: 23 (13 touch; 21 flat-footed)
HP: 3 of 42
CMB: +2 CMD: 13 Fort: +6 Ref: +6 Will: +9
In Hand: battle axe +1 and shield
Spells: Divine
  • (0-level - DC 13) Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidence, Stabilize;
  • (1st level - DC 14) Bless, Aun Haul, Protection from Evil, Longstrider(d);
  • (2nd level - DC 15) Summon Monster 2 (x2), Remove Paralysis(d)
Arcane Spell Slots
  • (0-level - DC 12 - At Will) Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation
  • (1st level - DC 13 - 3 of 4 slots remaining): Grease, Liberating Command, Silent Image, Vanish
Bard Song: 6 of 6 rounds remaining; Channeling: 5 of 5 attempts remaining; Liberation: 3 of 3 rounds remaining; Agile Feet 5 of 5 attempts remaining

Celebfedhiin (Riding Dog)
Initiative: +2 Senses: low-light vision, scent Perception: +8
Conditions: none
AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 13 of 13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +1
In Hand: Melee bite +3 (1d6+3 plus trip) [/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Suddenly remembering the climbing kit in the saddlebags, Borric sheepishly slaps his forehead and goes to get it out. He transfers the rest of that gear they brought to his backpack as well. "I forgot, we purchased some of this stuff. Shall we get started?"

He goes first, using his skills at climbing to lead the way and be the anchor should anyone need to be caught with the rope if they slip.

[Sblock=OOC]Climbing (1d20+12=32) - Ha ha ha. What a waste of a 20!

I think you can save your Summon Monster spell, SD. With everyone roped together, I am thinking that even a failure or two might be mitigated. Spam the Guidance spell around. ;)[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +4
CMB: +11 CMD: 24 (26 vs. Disarm/ 28 vs. Trip) Fort: +8 Reflex: +5 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear)
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (night), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO)

Swash1.jpg
Borric Hawkins

Songdragon

Explorer
Zelena casts her orison to grant a bit of insight to her companions as needed as she follows her companions up the mountainside. She saves her summon monster spells for a time of need.

Zelena's short stature does not fare well on the first part of the mountain...

(( Climb check 1d20+4=8... Acrobatics to recover as needed 1d20+10=18 ))

{{ Forgot to ask/mention, will her Agile Feet ability help??? }}

[sblock=Zelena's Stats]Zelena Andu Gnome Cleric 3/Bard 2
Initiative: +2 Perception: +13
Conditions: Bless (26 rounds), Haste (3 rounds), Posioned (5 rounds)
AC: 23 (13 touch; 21 flat-footed)
HP: 3 of 42
CMB: +2 CMD: 13 Fort: +6 Ref: +6 Will: +9
In Hand: battle axe +1 and shield
Spells: Divine
  • (0-level - DC 13) Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidence, Stabilize;
  • (1st level - DC 14) Bless, Aun Haul, Protection from Evil, Longstrider(d);
  • (2nd level - DC 15) Summon Monster 2 (x2), Remove Paralysis(d)
Arcane Spell Slots
  • (0-level - DC 12 - At Will) Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation
  • (1st level - DC 13 - 3 of 4 slots remaining): Grease, Liberating Command, Silent Image, Vanish
Bard Song: 6 of 6 rounds remaining; Channeling: 5 of 5 attempts remaining; Liberation: 3 of 3 rounds remaining; Agile Feet 5 of 5 attempts remaining

Celebfedhiin (Riding Dog)
Initiative: +2 Senses: low-light vision, scent Perception: +8
Conditions: none
AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 13 of 13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +1
In Hand: Melee bite +3 (1d6+3 plus trip) [/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
The lower slopes of the mountain are easily traversed but they quickly become steep trails and narrow switchbacks. Waltor scurries up the trail showing the way and chittering encouragement though only Sylvain recognizes it as such. At one sheer wall of stone, where Borric has trouble getting the grapple the catch on anything, Zelena is forced to summon a spider and ride it up the wall and attach the rope for the others to ascend.

At another sheer ascent Zelena's footing crumbles beneath her. The gnome manages to fling herself to one side as she falls and so avoids the dangerous shower of rocks that pelts those below her. However, she is left dangling in midair, slowly spinning and unable to get purchase on the wall. Borric solidly planted further up the wall and augmented by Zelena's ant haul spell is forced to slowly haul Nathan and Zelena up the slope until they can get to good footing as Sylvain uses his flight to assist.

Finding a ledge where everyone can sit and rest a moment you all assess the climb so far. Peering upwards you estimate you've come about halfway but the incidents along the climb have slowed you somewhat and if the climb continues in this manner you figure that it'll be well past noon before you reach the near summit where the entrance to the dwarven ruin is supposed to lie.

GM: Don't want you to feel like you wasted a nat 20 so I'll consider 20s rolled to also serve as an aid another for another +2 to relevant checks. So modifiers now as following:

+2 Waltor's expert mountaineering knowledge
+2 climbing gear
+2 Borric's bloodyminded determination and strength of arm

+2 Sylvain's flight (Sylvain only)
+2 Zelena's strategic spell use (Zelena only)

I don't think Agile Feet will help enough to provide a bonus to climbing checks.

Current count: 1 success, 1 failure.
Waiting for checks for Sylvain & Nathan. Plus with one failure, we'll need at least one additional check to reach the required number of successes. You can have whoever you want to make the extra check(s).

Gerald007

First Post
OOC: Sorry guys, but I am under the weather today, so this will be quick.

Syl uses his fly ability in an attempt to make it easier to scale the mountain. Waltor's encouragement, Borric's expert ability and those handy ropes combine to ease the witches path somewhat.

Syl [sblock]
Sylvain Marana (Gerald007) - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki
Human Witch 6
Initiative: +6 Perception: +2
Conditions:
AC: 15 (13 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 50 of 50
CMB: +2 CMD: 15 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +6
In Hand: Nothing

Spells: Arcane
  • (0-level - DC 15) Daze (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize;
  • (1st level - DC 16) Burning Hands (DC 16), Charm Person (DC 17), Enlarge Person, Shocking Grasp;
  • (2nd level - DC 17) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 17)^, Hold Person (DC 18), Vomit Swarm;
  • (3rd level - DC 18) Dispel Magic, Fireball (DC 18), Stinking Cloud (DC 18)
Hexes DC 18
  • Cackle, Flight, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber--Fortune on Borric.
[/sblock][/QUOTE]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Resting every so often, the strength of the fighter is everlasting as Borric continues the challenging climb up the mountain. Using the rope tied around him to help the others and catch them as they occasionally slip a bit, he offers encouragement.

"Keep coming, we are making progress. Not to worry, we can make it."

[Sblock=OOC]Climbing Scores (1d10+12=17, 1d10+12=13, 1d10+12=22)
Well, roll a 20, and a one is sure to follow.

Get well soon, Ger.[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +4
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (night), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO)

Swash1.jpg
Borric Hawkins

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases