[LPF] Dwarven Crusade: Khuldun

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Swash1.jpg

Borric snarls, "Dammit, their doused our lights!"

"Magic! Let me at the fookers!"

Last he saw, he was getting out of the way of a flaming sphere so he is hesitating before charging in after it until Nate tells him it is clear.

[sblock=Actions]Delay
Perception (1d20+8=25)[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Borric Hawkins
Initiative:
+4
AC: 26 (23 w/out shield, 24 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 73 Current: 73
CMB: +11 CMD: 24 (26 vs. Disarm/ 28 vs. Trip) Fort: +8 Reflex: +5 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear)
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (in darkness), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO)

Current Weapon in Hand: Shield & Flail
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
"Tullog's luck, these creatures must have some powerful spellcasters!" the gnome looks about in the dwindling light of the flaming ball of fire, letting her low-light vision give her some little advantage until she can figure how to get her ioun torch working again.

She brings up her shield, emblazoned with a sun motif on it, just a little bit more to better defect any other arrows or bolts.

"I can create some minor light for a short time..." Zelena asks, "If you would like?"

((Delay at present. Spellcraft check for spells that went off 1d20+5=7 Just wondering how they downed two ioun torches, not to mention with a ball of fire going it would not really be that dark... not yet anyhow.))

[sblock=Zelena's Stats]Zelena Andu Gnome Cleric 7
Initiative: +2 Perception: +16
Conditions:
AC: 23 (13 touch; 21 flat-footed)
HP: 58 of 58
CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +6 Ref: +4 Will: +8
In Hand: Mithral Heavy Mace +1 +7 (1d6+1) and Shield
Spells: Divine
  • (0-level - DC 13) Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidence, Stabilize
  • (1st level - DC 14) Bless, Comprehend Langagues, Divine Favor, Divine Favor, Hide from Undead, Expeditious Retreat (d)
  • (2nd level - DC 15) Bull's Strength, Grace, Spiritual Weapon, Ghostbane Dirge, Align Weapon (good) (d)
  • (3rd level - DC 16) Dispel Magic, Prayer, Searing Light, Nap Stack, Fly (d)
  • (4th level - DC 17) Spiritual Ally, Holy Smite (d)
Channeling: 7 of 7 attempts remaining; Inspiring Command : At Will; Elysium’s Call (Su): 6 of 6 attempts remaining. [/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Nathan Tchanlach, human sorcerer

"If that scream means anything, I'm not sure the tunnel's clear, Borric," Nathan says. "Even if you can't see the fire, it's still burning."

Nathan wrinkles his nose at the sudden and overwhelming darkness. "No way this is natural," he whispers. "But if I don't get to see them, they don't get to see me," he mutters. Though there is no light to see it by, a swirl of motes surrounds Nathan in response, erasing him from the view of anything that can see through the darkness.

All right, know-it-alls, you recognize what this is or what causes it? he sends the mental query to his unseen entourage.

[sblock=ooc]Nathan uses his standard action to cast Vanish. Perception check, and spellcraft to try to identify the darkness if it's a spell effect, plus Know:arcana to see if he knows what kind of critters might generate it if it's an SLA and not a spell.

Perception; Spellcraft;Know:arcane (1d20+0=19, 1d20+11=25, 1d20+7=13)

Rules question, GE: I know Nathan's kosher this round, and leaving the sphere to burn is safe, but does directing the flaming sphere about constitute an attack negating invisibility? I would think the initial casting would, by way of the "any spell that includes a target," condition, but my initial thought is that directing the sphere is like directing a summons. Since I recognize there are probably other interpretations, though, I figured I should ask now, so I know before I make my next round action decisions. :)

Oh! And if directing it into someone is an attack, is the same true in the event that Nathan's directing it blindly? e.g, if he doesn't know 'move forward' takes the sphere into a creature?[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Nathan Tchanlach Human Sorcerer 7
Initiative: +4 Perception: +0

Conditions: Mage Armor (6 hours), Flaming Sphere (5/7 rounds remaining), Vanish (5/5 rounds remaining)

In Hand: None

AC: 15 (19) 20
touch: 14 (18) 19 ; flat-footed: 12 (16)
(value in parenthesis w/ mage armor, in bold with Haste)
HP: 44/44
CMB: +3 CMD: 17 Fort: +4* Ref: +5* Will: +6*
* Additional +1 trait bonus vs. divine spells
Resistances: Resist 5 Acid and Cold.

Spells: Cantrips (DC 15): Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Drench, Ghost Sound, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation, Spark
1st (DC 16): Bless, Charm Person, Grease (DC 17), Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Silent Image, Summon Minor Monster, Vanish. Remaining: 4/8
2nd (DC 17): Create Pit (DC 18), Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust (DC 18), Invisibility, Oppressive Boredom, Resist Energy Remaining: 6/7
3rd (DC 18): Haste, Magic Circle Against Evil, Summon Monster III Remaining: 4/5

Heavenly Fire: 8/8 remaining[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Re: directing Flaming Sphere; Attack or not? Honestly, I don't know. I can see both sides of the argument. For the moment I'll say it's not considered an attack but I think maybe we should open a discussion about it. Our combat will probably be resolved before that discussion.

Re: Light vs. Darkness. It doesn't matter how many light effects are within the area of a darkness spell, if they are equal or lower level they are all suppressed while within the area of darkness and prevailing light conditions dominate. Flaming Sphere is equal in level to Darkness and so its light is suppressed. The big question for me is: Is the Continual Flame on the Ioun Torches an arcane spell (2nd level) or a divine spell (3rd level)? It seems to me that wizards are more likely to be crafting magic items than clerics are and so I've counted them as if created by wizards. This is probably another thing that could use discussion here in LPF.[/sblock]

Borric can clearly feel the heat of Nathan's flaming sphere ahead of him and can hear the sizzle and scream and the ragged breathing of the creature it is burning within the narrow passage. He'll certainly be able to feel when the flame moves away even if he can't see it.

Zelena can't see anything as the ball of fire provides no light whatsoever in the darkness. Nor can she figure exactly what spells might have been used to create such darkness.

Nathan's memory is prodded and enhanced by the motes. He knows the darkness could be caused by a spell or the innate ability of certain creatures. One in particular comes to mind: legends tell of clans of dwarves maddened by their fall from power who have the ability to cloak themselves in darkness. Also, Nathan would know that unless the light source is specifically targeted it still provides light, it is just suppressed by the stronger magic.

OOC: Combat: Round Three. Everyone, except Nathan who has already acted, is up. Post up if it is your intent to delay until your opponents have acted so I know for sure. Thanks.

[sblock=Combat Information]

Initiative:
You all
???

Map:
Note: Sylvain is 15 ft back and off the map.

Party:
Borric: 73/73 hit points remaining
Nathan: 44/44 hit points remaining
Sylvain: 50/50 hit points remaining
Zelena: 58/58 hit points remaining

Spells/Abilities Used: Nathan: Mage Armor, Flaming Sphere, Vanish; Sylvain: Web

Conditions in Effect:
--Darkness

Enemy Status:
??? 1 (AC 17); 13 damage; badly injured
??? 2 (AC 17); 0 damage; unwounded
??? 3 (AC 17); 0 damage; unwounded
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Swash1.jpg

Unable to see, yet believing the way is still blocked, Borric whispers over his shoulder, "Maybe let that flaming ball burn them up. If you move it around let me know, but I am fine waiting right here. They ain't going anywhere."

He holds the flail ready to bash the crap out of anything he notices coming past the crackling flames off to his left in the darkness.

[sblock=Actions]Readied Attack: Shock Flail
From before: Perception (1d20+8=25)[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Borric Hawkins
Initiative:
+4
AC: 26 (23 w/out shield, 24 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 73 Current: 73
CMB: +11 CMD: 24 (26 vs. Disarm/ 28 vs. Trip) Fort: +8 Reflex: +5 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear)
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (in darkness), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO)

Current Weapon in Hand: Shield & Flail
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]
OOC: I think if he just moves it around as Move Action, it is not really an attack. Summon Monster is the same thing, IIRC. Indirect attacks don't negate the Invisibility.

I did read up on darkness and the wording there is confusing. On one hand it sounds like it would negate an Ioun Torch, but on the other it talks about changing light down one step. However, as we completed a similar combat in jkason's game with SK in it, I think my confusion is only my own.

Gerald007

First Post
Ah, magic...now that is something I can actually help with! Sylvain had just the spell prepared to get rid of this magical darkness, if he could only get it to stick. It was one of his more tricky spells. "Hold on, guys. I think I can help!" he shouts as he begins his magic.

OOC: Cast Dispel Magic on the Darness spell effect.

Syl [sblock]
Sylvain Marana (Gerald007) - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki
Human Witch 7
Initiative: +6 Perception: +2
Conditions:
AC: 15 (13 touch; 13 flat-footed)
CMB: +2 CMD: 15 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +6
In Hand: Nothing

Spells: Arcane
  • (0-level - DC 15) Daze (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize;
  • (1st level - DC 16) Burning Hands (DC 16), Charm Person (DC 17), Enlarge Person, Enlarge Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shocking Grasp;
  • (2nd level - DC 17) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 17), Vomit Swarm, Web^
  • (3rd level - DC 18) Dispel Magic^, Lightning Bolt (DC 18), Stinking Cloud (DC 18)
  • (4th level - DC 19) Confusion (DC 20), Neutralize Poison
Hexes DC 18
  • Cackle, Flight, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber--Fortune on Borric and Zelena, Misfortune on the dwarf.
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Sylvain dispels the darkness that engulfed the rest of the group and the light of their torches and Nathan's ball of fire once more blazes into brightness. Or at least it seems that way with the sudden ending of the darkness. Engulfed within that flame is a small, emaciated creature that looks somewhat dwarven in appearance but lesser in stature. Shrieking as it is from within the fire it is difficult to tell much more about the creature.

[sblock=OOC]Re: Darkness. The spell has to take into account two states of being: 1) normal light conditions (without magical sources of light) and 2) areas that include magical sources of light. I don't think the spell is written well and it could definitely use clarity in detailing those effects and how they interact with each other.[/sblock]
OOC: Combat: Round Three. Borric & Zelena still to act.

Initiative:
You all
???

Map:
Note: Sylvain is 15 ft back and off the map.
Hasn't been put on the map but there is a known creature at C7

Party:
Sylvain: 50/50 hit points remaining

Spells/Abilities Used: Nathan: Mage Armor, Flaming Sphere, Vanish; Sylvain: Dispel Magic, Web

Conditions in Effect:
--

Enemy Status:
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
OOC: Borric is maintaining a readied action for this round. The darkness being negated doesn't change that. It is the Flaming Sphere in his way that he is waiting to be moved. :p

Zelena's up. :)

Songdragon

Explorer
Zelena takes the opportunity to inspire her companions again, hoping to help keep them all safe as she watches for an opening.

((Inspiring command: gain a +2 insight bonus on attack rolls, AC, combat maneuver defense, and skill checks for 1 round))

[sblock=Zelena's Stats]Zelena Andu Gnome Cleric 7
Initiative: +2 Perception: +16
Conditions:
AC: 23 (13 touch; 21 flat-footed)
CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +6 Ref: +4 Will: +8
In Hand: Mithral Heavy Mace +1 +7 (1d6+1) and Shield
Spells: Divine
  • (0-level - DC 13) Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidence, Stabilize
  • (1st level - DC 14) Bless, Comprehend Langagues, Divine Favor, Divine Favor, Hide from Undead, Expeditious Retreat (d)
  • (2nd level - DC 15) Bull's Strength, Grace, Spiritual Weapon, Ghostbane Dirge, Align Weapon (good) (d)
  • (3rd level - DC 16) Dispel Magic, Prayer, Searing Light, Nap Stack, Fly (d)
  • (4th level - DC 17) Spiritual Ally, Holy Smite (d)
Channeling: 7 of 7 attempts remaining; Inspiring Command : At Will; Elysium’s Call (Su): 6 of 6 attempts remaining. [/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
The small dwarven creature struggles forward to escape the fire that fills the narrow passage but in his haste to exit and to slap out the fires smouldering on his clothes leaves himself open to attack from Borric and Zelena.

Borric also feels the patter of dust and stone fragments falling on him from above. As he looks up he sees another of the creatures press its face up against the hole in the wall above him and squint down at the fighter with rolling, mad eyes.

Sylvain hears the twang of a crossbow being fired brief moments before he feels the impact of the bolt tearing into his back. The pain is heightened by a burning in the wound that leaves him weak and shaky. As he turns to attempt to gain a glimpse of his attacker he hears the heavy lope of something padding down the hall at high speed. Before he even has time to react the shadowy form of a huge hound is upon him and ripping into his side with its sharp teeth. The attack is unbalancing and Sylvain loses his footing and topples to the ground.

OOC: Combat: Round Three (still). Derro 1 draws AoO from Borric & Zelena. Borric can take his readied attack then we move to Round Four with everyone up to act. Save vs. poison for Sylvain, please.

Initiative:
You all
Derro

Map:

Party:
Sylvain: 44/58 hit points remaining; 2 STR dmg. (saves 3/4)

Spells/Abilities Used: Nathan: Mage Armor, Flaming Sphere, Vanish; Sylvain: Dispel Magic, Web; Zelena: Inspiring Command (x1)

Conditions in Effect:
--Sylvain: prone & in darkness

Enemy Status:
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases