[LPF] Dwarven Crusade: Khuldun

Gerald007

First Post
"Reviewing ancient tomes and searching for knowledge...kind of exciting isn't it, Aldino? Who knows what is out there, trying top keep us from our treasure..."

Syl [sblock]
Sylvain Marana (Gerald007) - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki
Human Witch 6
Initiative: +6 Perception: +2
Conditions:
AC: 15 (13 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 50 of 50
CMB: +2 CMD: 15 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +6
In Hand: Nothing

Spells: Arcane
  • (0-level - DC 15) Daze (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize;
  • (1st level - DC 16) Burning Hands (DC 16), Charm Person (DC 17), Enlarge Person, Shocking Grasp;
  • (2nd level - DC 17) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 17), Hold Person (DC 18)^, Vomit Swarm;
  • (3rd level - DC 18) Dispel Magic, Fireball (DC 18)^, Stinking Cloud (DC 18)
Hexes DC 18
  • Cackle, Flight--used, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber on lizard man and one guard--None.
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Neezhka seems glad to be finished with this business of opening her door to strangers. Or at least, you think so; her expression never changes from its age-wrinkled scowl as she shuts the door and slams the bolts back into place without a word.

"Ah, you're right of course," says Aldino still somewhat despondently as he responds to Nathan and Sylvain trying to cheer him up. "But to lock yourself away and be rude to strangers is, well, impolite. I'll be glad when we put this town behind us."

It takes Zelena several applications of prestidigitation to clean up the book and she wonders how a bookbinder could let a book get into such a state...

The book is a small, leather bound journal: the cover is cracked, worn and stiff with age and fragments break off from the cover in a gritty dust that stains the fingers with a dark orange color. The pages are brittle and fragile. After Zelena uses prestidigitation to clean the mildew from the pages she discovers that the mold leached away much of the ink leaving large numbers of pages unreadable.

Once safely back at the Lilypad Aldino commandeers a large table, takes the journal from Zelena and gently uses a knife to cut the rotted strings of the binding to disassemble the journal and pass pages around so everyone can more easily examine them. The text, such as remains, is in dwarven and so it is up to Borric, Sylvain, and Aldino to decipher it. After a few hours of eye-straining examination they manage to assemble only the sketchiest of tales:

[size=+1]Sul Gulden Expedition

Common Year 1139, Vadin Ser returned from the Great Chasm with great news… leave Gist and head east into the Sul Gulden in search of the Three Crones.

…bug-eyed little fellow and bald as Barin’s grandsire; I don’t trust him but once we leave the Rakka he’ll lead our expedition into the mountains. Vadin expects him to lead us to the ruins…

…set upon by goblins. Gudrun Keen died of his wounds and that bastard Brillo was mysteriously…

…wants to explore what’s left of Khuldun. Unfortunately, I drew the short straw and am to keep camp and be ready for… heard a great cry and rushed to the staircase. I arrived to see Vadin Ser engulfed in his battle rage and trading blows with a massive… collapsed. Neither Vadin Ser nor the beast… nineteen days…[/size]​

It is enough, however, to spur further investigaton...

Sul Gulden/The Three Crones:
[sblock=Knowledge (geography) DC 10] E-SE of the Great Delta rise the tumbled rock mountains and scrublands of the Sul Gulden Mountains. This temperate wilderness is sparsely populated by bands of goblinoids (and worse) and scattered, small but heavily fortified settlements of humanoids.
[sblock=Knowledge (geography) DC 15] Some few days travel into the Sul Gulden Mountains lies a mountain with three rounded peaks that resemble the weathered faces of three old women. This mountain is known as the Three Crones. The people living within the Sul Gulden mountain range are known as the Suli.[sblock=Knowledge (geography) DC 20] The ancient dwarven hall of Khuldun is built on the slopes and dug into the heart of the Three Crones. Near the Three Crones is a small Suli fort known as Rakka.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]Khuldun:
[sblock=Knowledge (history) DC 20] Khuldun is a footnote to the loss of the great halls of the Dwarves. Construction began during the Years of Darkness and the partially completed hall fell a relatively short time later.[/sblock][sblock=Knowledge (arcana) (local) DC 20] Legend holds that the noble-smith who founded the settlement was strong in the dwarves ancient lore but that it drove him mad and ultimately caused the fall of Khuldun.[/sblock]Vadin Ser:
[sblock=Knowledge (local) DC 20] A dwarven adventurer who traveled widely seeking the lost lore of the dwarves. His last venture (nearly 200 years ago) vanished into the Sul Gulden Mountains with only one survivor, Neezhka of Hruthrip’s father.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Back at the Lilypad, Borric orders a honey mead as he removes his shield and spiked gauntlet, taking a seat at the table.

"This promises to be thirsty work."

After a few hours of reading dwarven, Borric is feeling cross-eyed and beginning to talk with a dwarven lilt to his voice, "By Orlog's beard, this be interestin', but I canna make fook all out of it, ya ken."

"You all be more scholarly than I. My job be to bash 'em and smash 'em instead."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +4
AC: 26 (23 without shield, 21 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 63 Current: 63
CMB: +10 CMD: 23 (25 vs. Disarm/ 27 vs. Trip) Fort: +8 Reflex: +5 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear)
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (night), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO)

Current Weapon in Hand: Ale
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]___________________________

Swash1.jpg
Borric Hawkins

Gerald007

First Post
Syl tries his best to figure out what those names meant.

Syl [sblock]
Human Witch 6
Conditions:

• (1st level - DC 16) Burning Hands (DC 16), Charm Person (DC 17), Enlarge Person, Shocking Grasp;
  • (2nd level - DC 17) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 17), Hold Person (DC 18)^, Vomit Swarm;
Hexes DC 18
  • Cackle, Flight--used, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber on lizard man and one guard--None.
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Aldino rubs eyes made red and bleary from staring long at the crabbed and faded dwarven runes and laughs at Borric's mock accent.

"Ah, not much here, is there?" He turns to summarize for Nathan and Zelena. "So, about 200 years ago Neezhka's father joined this Vadin Ser's expedition into the Sul Gulden Mountains somewhere east of Gist to find these three crones, whoever they are, and this place named Khuldun. Sounds like their expedition came to a nasty end when they encountered goblins and some sort of beast. Any of that strike a chord with your wizardly learning, Nathan? At least we know our next step: onward to Gist and..." He looks surreptitiously around. "...dwarven gold!"

The old man's ability to be buoyed by the slimmest thread of evidence supporting his scheme is, frankly, unreal.

-- = Aldino Galucci = --

Songdragon

Explorer
Zelena only manages to recall a small bit of information about the region or any person mentioned, "To the East and South of here are the Sul Gulden Mountains. All sorts of goblinkin are in that region."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Borric has a sudden thought of inspiration, "I know something of those lil' bastard goblins and a beast that is seen with them. Back in Venza, I stuck the thing's head on a pike as trophy."

"Is there anything that sounds like a fookin' shapeshifting barghest in these notes?"

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +4
AC: 26 (23 without shield, 21 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 63 Current: 63
CMB: +10 CMD: 23 (25 vs. Disarm/ 27 vs. Trip) Fort: +8 Reflex: +5 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear)
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (night), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO)

Current Weapon in Hand: Ale
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]___________________________

Swash1.jpg
Borric Hawkins

jkason

First Post
Nathan Tchanlach, human sorcerer

Nathan bites his lip a moment, thinking, then finally sighs.

"I'm not sure I can add much more. Most of what I know of Khuldun is legend. They say the noble-smith who founded the place had a heavy grasp on ancient dwarven lore, but the same thing that helped him build the place eventually drove him mad, and took Khuldun down with it."

He frowns, then shrugs. "I guess we better hope he didn't weave enough of that stuff into the place that we're at risk of the same," he says.

[sblock=ooc]Know Geo; Know Arcana (1d20=6, 1d20+7=23)[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Nathan Tchanlach Human Sorcerer 6
Initiative: +4 Perception: +0

Conditions: Mage Armor (6 hours)
In Hand: None

AC: 15 (19)
touch: 14 (18) ; flat-footed: 12 (16)
(value in parenthesis w/ mage armor)
HP: 38/38
CMB: +3 CMD: 17 Fort: +4* Ref: +5* Will: +6*
* Additional +1 trait bonus vs. divine spells
Resistances: Resist 5 Acid and Cold.

Spells: Cantrips (DC 15): Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Drench, Ghost Sound, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation, Spark
1st (DC 16): Bless, Grease (DC 17), Mage Armor, Magic Missle, Silent Image, Summon Minor Monster, Vanish. Remaining: 7/8
2nd (DC 17): Create Pit (DC 18), Glitterdust (DC 18), Oppressive Boredom, Resist Energy Remaining: 6/6
3rd (DC 18): Haste Remaining: 4/4

Heavenly Fire: 8/8 remaining[/sblock]

Gerald007

First Post
sylvan adds what bits of knowledge he gleaned from review from the notebook. "Sounds like we are going to have to head to the mountains. If so, we better supply up heavily here, since who knows what is out there. We'd better prepare for anything. Including barghests. I doubt there will be any trading posts, so some extra food and water is probably called for."

Syl [sblock]
Human Witch 6
Conditions:

Hexes DC 18
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases