[LPF] Dwarven Crusade: Khuldun

GlassEye

Adventurer
The passageway down to the room is crudely worked, unfinished, which makes the finished state of the chamber stand out that much more. In the center of the chamber is set a pattern: crossed lines, a triangle, and circles connected by a swirl. Each of the circles has a tiny indentation in the center, as if something should be inset into it. The center circle has a larger indentation, about the size of a man's palm.

Scattered about the edges of the room are what appear to be artifacts of the dwarven occupation of the fortress: small bars of gold, coins, finely crafted axes and hammers. Most noticeable is a gleaming suit of plate and a heavy, locked trunk.

jkason

First Post
Nathan Tchanlach, human sorcerer

"Aw, Borric, but you're lovably incorrigible," Nathan quips. "Plus, you can beat me up. Pacifists are much easier to grouse about," he adds with a joking wink.

"But enough of all that. Let's see what isn't as easy to see," Nathan offers as they search the room. A pair of motes orbit his head, their light trails creating a momentary halo, then settle on his eyes before fading from view. The sorcerer turns his attention back to the room, then.

"Don't suppose anyone has a skeleton key?" he says as they discover the locked trunk.

[sblock=ooc]Casting Detect Magic. I'll throw some know: arcane and spellcraft checks in here. Both for auras he detects and for whatever he can figure out about the floor pattern if it has an arcane component.

Know: Arcana; Spellcraft (use the first pair for the floor, others for objects seen with Detect Magic). (1d20+7=17, 1d20+11=21, 1d20+7=11, 1d20+11=12, 1d20+7=13, 1d20+11=15, 1d20+7=9, 1d20+11=17)[/sblock]
[sblock=mini-stats]Nathan Tchanlach Human Sorcerer 7
Initiative: +4 Perception: +0

In Hand: None
Conditions: Extended Mage Armor (14 hours), Message (70 minutes), Dancing Lights (refreshed as needed), Magic Circle against evil (70 minutes), Detect Magic.

AC: 15 (19) 20
touch: 14 (18) 19 ; flat-footed: 12 (16)
(value in parenthesis w/ mage armor, in bold with Haste)
HP: 44/44
CMB: +3 CMD: 17 Fort: +4* Ref: +5* Will: +6*
* Additional +1 trait bonus vs. divine spells
Resistances: Resist 5 Acid and Cold.

Spells: Cantrips (DC 15): Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Drench, Ghost Sound, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation, Spark
1st (DC 16): Bless, Charm Person, Grease (DC 17), Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Silent Image, Summon Minor Monster, Vanish. Remaining: 7/8
2nd (DC 17): Create Pit (DC 18), Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust (DC 18), Invisibility, Oppressive Boredom, Resist Energy Remaining: 4/7
3rd (DC 18): Haste, Magic Circle Against Evil, Summon Monster III Remaining: 2/5

Heavenly Fire: 8/8 remaining[/sblock]

Gerald007

First Post

"Now that is an interesting floor plan right there. Mind you, please don't step in it, until we have an opportunity to look at it closely. What do you think about this, Waltor?"

Know. Arcana [sblock]Can I take 10 on a Knowledge check? If so, I'll do that for a 25 check score.[/sblock]

Syl [sblock]
Sylvain Marana (Gerald007) - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki
Human Witch 7
Initiative: +6 Perception: +2
Conditions:
AC: 15 (13 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 58 of 58
CMB: +2 CMD: 15 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +6
In Hand: Nothing

Spells: Arcane
  • (0-level - DC 15) Daze (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize;
  • (1st level - DC 16) Burning Hands (DC 16), Charm Person (DC 17), Enlarge Person^, Enlarge Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shocking Grasp;
  • (2nd level - DC 17) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 17)^, Vomit Swarm, Web
  • (3rd level - DC 18) Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt (DC 18), Stinking Cloud (DC 18)
  • (4th level - DC 19) Confusion (DC 20), Neutralize Poison
Hexes DC 18
  • Cackle, Flight, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber--One minute of Flight hex used, Fortune hex used on Borric.
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Nathan surveys the entirety of the room with his magical sight but the overwhelming brightness of the aura of the symbol on the floor leaves him squinting and futilely shielding his eyes. He has to turn away and direct his magical sight to the edge of the room to even glimpse other auras.

By the time he finishes his survey he's discovered several items of interest:
-The symbol on the floor is nearly overwhelming and radiates an aura that he isn't able to read more accurately.
-The full plate armor looks to be made of bronze and causes a buzzing excitement among Nathan's motes. Interestingly, it is almost exactly the same color as the motes when they manifest. It has a moderate strength aura.
-A ring lies almost unnoticed (if not for the detect magic it might have been overlooked) but its aura is moderate and of no particular school.
-Within the trunk can be detected two auras. The first comes from a vaguely bird-shaped thing, perhaps a statuette, that radiates moderate transmutation.
-The second aura within the trunk looks to be a pair of boots and radiates faint transmutation.

Meanwhile Sylvain focuses on deciphering the symbol on the floor. It reminds him of an ancient cosmological diagram or chart of the Paths of existance. Then it strikes him: the stone symbol is one of the ancient gates of E'n. Nathan's report of the symbol's aura gives strong support to Sylvain's theory.

During the searches and examinations is also found a large quantity of coins, gems, and bars of precious metals. Amongst those items is a crystal sphere that would easily fit within the cupped palm of a creature humanoid in size.

[sblock=Items Identified]
Not sure if Nathan has ever viewed magically one of the gates of E'n. If so, he would immediately see the similarity in auras.

+2 Elysian Bronze Full Plate armor (8,500 gp)
Ring of Spell Knowledge II (6,000 gp)
Figurine of Wondrous Power: Bronze Griffin (10,000 gp)
Jaunt boots (7,200 gp)

Re: Treasure. Including the four big items above the treasures in the room value roughly 67,000 gold or just about exactly the amount of gold missed from previous encounters and time-based gold earned. You all have been very patient to go through multiple encounters without receiving an immediate payoff in gold/items and I appreciate that. If you want to use the remainder to add a small item or two of your choice, I'm fine with that, particularly if we continue (it will likely be a bit before shopping becomes available).[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Swash1.jpg

Borric whistles, impressed with the shining armor.

"That is certainly nice looking. I have never seen that metal before. Is there a special property associated with that bronze metal?"

He keeps poking around in the dwarven treasure trove and comments, "The old geezer is going to richer than his wildest dreams if we can get all of this out of here."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Borric Hawkins
Initiative:
+4 Perception: +9
AC: 26 (23 w/out shield, 24 flat-footed, 13 Touch) Current 24, maybe 26
HP: 83 Current: 58
CMB: +13 CMD: 26 (28 vs. Disarm/ 30 vs. Trip) Fort: +9 Reflex: +5 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear) Current CMB +14, CMD 26+Size
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (in darkness), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO), Bull's Strength (+4 Str=+2 Att/Dmg), Enlarged (-2AC, +1 Att/Dmg, +5ft reach, increased weapon size), Prot vs. Evil (+2AC/SVs), +1 Att from higher elevation?

Current Weapon in Hand: Cold Iron Flail & Shock Flail (+16/+11; 2d6+11+1d6)
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]
OOC: I already told GE that I wanted to continue since we have no other adventures waiting in the approval process. And we probably are not going to have a better GM either. :)

I am interested in a Handy Haversack and +1 Amulet of Natural Armor.

jkason

First Post
Nathan Tchanlach, human sorcerer

[sblock=ooc]I don't think Nathan's ever used Detect Magic on a gate, so this is a first for him[/sblock]

Once he's marked and parsed the auras (sharing what he sees with the others), Nathan quickly dismisses his magical sight, rubbing at his eyes to recover from the intensity of the floor pattern.

"Well, if the muttering of the chorus is any indication, it's definitely some kind of noble metal," Nathan says to Borric's question, then smirks as he adds. "Maybe you should be careful touching it, Borric."

[sblock=ooc]Aw, snap. I just read up on the spell knowledge ring, and seems quite awesome. Now Nathan has to figure out which rings to wear (Accessory drama! Goodness. :) ).

On items in the pile, I just found out about the Robe of Arcane Heritage, which would not only bump Nathan's resistances, but let him finally sprout his angel wings. :)

That's basically Nathan's entire share, though, so I'd totally understand nixing that. Other options that might be nice:

* Goggles of Night (still pricey, but the value of darkvision is becoming increasingly apparent)
* Belt of Dexterity
* Upgraded versions of either Cloak of Resistance or Amulet of Natural armor[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Nathan Tchanlach Human Sorcerer 7
Initiative: +4 Perception: +0

In Hand: None
Conditions: Extended Mage Armor (14 hours), Message (70 minutes), Dancing Lights (refreshed as needed), Magic Circle against evil (70 minutes),

AC: 15 (19) 20
touch: 14 (18) 19 ; flat-footed: 12 (16)
(value in parenthesis w/ mage armor, in bold with Haste)
HP: 44/44
CMB: +3 CMD: 17 Fort: +4* Ref: +5* Will: +6*
* Additional +1 trait bonus vs. divine spells
Resistances: Resist 5 Acid and Cold.

Spells: Cantrips (DC 15): Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Drench, Ghost Sound, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation, Spark
1st (DC 16): Bless, Charm Person, Grease (DC 17), Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Silent Image, Summon Minor Monster, Vanish. Remaining: 7/8
2nd (DC 17): Create Pit (DC 18), Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust (DC 18), Invisibility, Oppressive Boredom, Resist Energy Remaining: 4/7
3rd (DC 18): Haste, Magic Circle Against Evil, Summon Monster III Remaining: 2/5

Heavenly Fire: 8/8 remaining[/sblock]

Gerald007

First Post
"You're right about these riches, Borric. Aldino will be thrilled. If we can figure a way to get all this out of here, of course! It might be worth taking down some notes about this gate as well. It is quite a find. And it is obviously teeming with power! Syl was obviously the happiest he had been in days. All the starving on rations, and sleeping on the hard stone floors just might have been worth it after all.

OOC [sblock]It will take me a bit to get Syl levelled. Mom's surgery went well, but I'll be spending a lot of time with her over the holidays, so it might be a week or so.

And I would love to continue with these characters, and this DM, if the rest of you are so inclined. I've had a blast with all of you so far![/sblock]

Syl [sblock]
Sylvain Marana (Gerald007) - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki
Human Witch 7
Initiative: +6 Perception: +2
Conditions:
AC: 15 (13 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 58 of 58
CMB: +2 CMD: 15 Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +6
In Hand: Nothing

Spells: Arcane
  • (0-level - DC 15) Daze (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize;
  • (1st level - DC 16) Burning Hands (DC 16), Charm Person (DC 17), Enlarge Person^, Enlarge Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shocking Grasp;
  • (2nd level - DC 17) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 17)^, Vomit Swarm, Web
  • (3rd level - DC 18) Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt (DC 18), Stinking Cloud (DC 18)
  • (4th level - DC 19) Confusion (DC 20), Neutralize Poison
Hexes DC 18
  • Cackle, Flight, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber--One minute of Flight hex used, Fortune hex used on Borric.
[/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
Zelena looks about in wonder and at Nathan's reaction she just has to see for herself and casts her own divine magics to see magical auras... the gnome almost stares at the harsh aura like a child trying to stare at the sun a few moments before turning away. "By Annaya! That is something rather powerful... what is it?"

After the explaination of sorts she has to ask, "How does one activate one of these gates of E'n? Where do they travel to?" She rattles off a myriad of other questions wanting to know more of these gates.

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Swash1.jpg

Borric looks at the armor and the three spellcasters.

"Oh, come on. You mean to tell me that between you three extraordinary spell slingers, you don't know what this armor will do? What about the other stuff?"

The brash fighter has never been through one of the gates before and doesn't even know they exist. He is puzzled by the conversation and chalks it up to more of Nate's looney behavior and its rubbing off on Syl and Zelena.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Borric Hawkins
Initiative:
+4 Perception: +9
AC: 26 (23 w/out shield, 24 flat-footed, 13 Touch) Current 24, maybe 26
HP: 83 Current: 58
CMB: +13 CMD: 26 (28 vs. Disarm/ 30 vs. Trip) Fort: +9 Reflex: +5 Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear) Current CMB +14, CMD 26+Size
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (in darkness), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO), Bull's Strength (+4 Str=+2 Att/Dmg), Enlarged (-2AC, +1 Att/Dmg, +5ft reach, increased weapon size), Prot vs. Evil (+2AC/SVs)

Current Weapon in Hand: Cold Iron Flail & Shock Flail (+16/+11; 2d6+11+1d6)
Chakram: 2/2 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]
OOC: I probably will take the Platemail, by default.

When GE said wish lists I thought 2000gp was exceeding the small item list. If we can have up to 4000gp or more, I might revise my choices.

If we don't have a Bag of Holding, we probably should add that to the list. ;)

Gerald007

First Post
OOC [sblock]Syl won't find any magical items right now. I am still a couple thousand gold over my limit from somehow overspending a level or so ago. When I level I will just square that up, and keep everything else in cash, I suppose.[/spoiler]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases