Cold Steel

Omegaxicor

First Post
I am not the first to ask this I am sure but:

"Cold Iron is created by quenching Iron to a super-cold temperature very quickly", correct? (I remember reading that somewhere, any citation would be appreciated)

IF this is so then can other metals be supercooled in the same way, Steel is the one I am most interested in but my players will ask about Mythril and Admantium (Adamantium (sp?) maybe)

I KNOW that spreading magic immune armour is an especially bad idea. I expect the process requires either pure Iron/metal or something that makes it rare to find and difficult to smelt, a colder temperature or quicker cooling...and extremely expensive to buy :p

Last edited:

Aran Thule

First Post
Copied this from the d&d wiki
This iron, mined deep underground, known for its effectiveness against fey creatures, is forged at a lower temperature to preserve its delicate properties. Weapons made of cold iron cost twice as much to make as their normal counterparts. Also, any magical enhancements cost an additional 2,000 gp.
From this i would guess it indicates a special type of iron rather then being normal iron treated a special way
Im also guessing the the process of smelting the iron to make steel would destroy these 'delicate properties' hence why there is no cold steel

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Cold iron is worked without (much) heat as I understand it- supercooling it during the forging process would probably shatter it.

BriarMonkey

First Post
In the real world there is a process for "cold forged steel". It just happens that the "cold iron" in the game world shares enough name similarity that confusions such as this occur (even though they have absolutely nothing in common).

Samloyal23

Adventurer
From the D&D Wiki:

Iron, Cold

This iron, mined deep underground, known for its effectiveness against fey creatures, is forged at a lower temperature to preserve its delicate properties. Weapons made of cold iron cost twice as much to make as their normal counterparts. Also, any magical enhancements cost an additional 2,000 gp.

Items without metal parts cannot be made from cold iron. An arrow could be made of cold iron, but a quarterstaff could not.

A double weapon that has only half of it made of cold iron increases its cost by 50%.

Cold iron has 30 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 10.

This site Cold Iron - Television Tropes & Idioms has some notes on the idea of cold iron in the media that may be inspirational...

Remove ads