What's Up With D&D? for Monday, 5 March, 2012

Gaming Tonic

First Post
This week Mike Mearls steps back in for Monte, magic items with an elemental theme are released, and art, maps, blogs, comics, and more are provided to use in your games. For those of you who asked, I do not know yet when you can expect the open playtest material. If I hear anything from Wizards of the Coast I will pass it along with all haste.
  • Save or Die! is the question that Mike Mearls is asking readers as he takes over the duties on Legends & Lore once again. The venerable mechanic always stirs the cauldron and sometimes bubbles over. I think the save or die mechanic should appear a couple times in a career and then only when the player is sufficiently warned. The EN World readers here have a lot to say about this, check it out here.

[*]In The Dungeon Master Experience this week, The Storytelling King by Chris Perkins gives some excellent tips on DMing a game. This is one of the better articles in the series and the “what if” part may really help you when creating your own adventures and plot hooks. I think some gamers feel the task of sitting behind the screen daunting and articles that help create better DMs are appreciated.

[*]The Role of Skills by Rodney Thompson discusses some of the challenges and goals of skills and the skill system in Dungeons & Dragons. The idea of the next iteration using a more ability check heavy system has all the gamers talking here.

[*]Bazaar of the Bizarre: Treasures of the Elemental Chaos by Michael W. Haneline offers the players many options of new magic items. I always enjoy the item sets and think that is an excellent hook to set an adventure around.

[*]Rule of Three by Rodney Thompson covers three more questions submitted by the fans. This week he talks about what happened to the shugenja in the Heroes of Elemental Chaos, the 15 minute workday and what will be done about it in the next iteration. He also talks about home rules in the next edition and how will it support them.

[*]Chris Perkins has been kind enough to give you the +5 Crossword of Slaying, Part 6. I knew I should have paid more attention to Spelljammer. Good luck to the rest of you, you will need it.

[*]Art & Artists in D&D by Jon Schindehette for Dragon’s Eye View paints a pretty clear picture of the importance and role of artwork in D&D. The visual history of the game has always included fantastic work by amazing artists. I draw inspiration from a picture all the time and am glad that so much thought is being put into that element of the game and how it is used before, during, and after games.

[*]The art for Dragon 408 and the art and maps for Dungeon 199 have been made available for use in your games. Are there any other gamers that find an awesome picture and create a character and story to describe it?

[*]Jason Thompson provides comic relief with Keep on 16th and Valencia. Dragon magazine to me has always meant hilarious rpg related comics and I am glad to see the tradition being kept alive.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases