Harnessing the power of blowhards!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I understand that. I was merely giving a sidewise comment that, "they kill birds," is a pretty bogus critique of wind turbines when compared to the, "they kill everything," of fossil fuel burning plants.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
You may think it's a bogus comment but the fact remains that in California and elsewhere one of the topics covered in an enviromental impact report is how the local wildlife will be affected by construction. One quarter to half inch long fish have stopped the irregation of some farms within the Californian Central Valley, so I'm certain the Californian Condor will prevent wind turbines from popping up in some remote stretches of the siera nevada. Sadly, I think that in itself is wrong since as much as you may want to save every creature, people have to reallize that some losses are acceptable even if the best thought out "safety" measures fail.

Of course, those who don't care about the wildlife impact and still opose it usually fall into the "not in my backyard, the it's ugly, or is it cost effective" camps.

-Sent via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Still, though, the bird thing may limit their distribution.

I was just reading about a wind farm that has been held up because of the behavior of an endangered species that isn't much of a flier, but nonetheless would be affected- they avoid tall structures because their main predators favor such things. Wind turbines might interfere with their migrations, feeding, breeding & mating.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You may think it's a bogus comment but the fact remains that in California and elsewhere one of the topics covered in an enviromental impact report is how the local wildlife will be affected by construction.

It is a bogus as a general critique. But any construction needs to take local conditions int account. You wouldn't want to build a wind farm in the middle of a low-flying migratory path, any more than you'd want to build a nuclear plant on a fault line.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases